Confirmed with Link: Brandon Manning signs one year contract extension (reported at $625,000)

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I don't want him in the lineup. It makes me laugh when I read the Facebook group and they all clamor for Manning over Schenn, claiming it can't get any worse. Then, Manning comes in and is the worst defenseman in the league and is clearly worse than Schenn, and they want to give him time to develop. Gimme a break.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Manning will be fine. He has had some understandable nervousness early in the season with it being his first time starting with the big club after training camp. I think by game 20 or so he will hit his stride. All he needs is a goal, a couple of assists, and a scrap or two to get him going.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Manning will be fine. He has had some understandable nervousness early in the season with it being his first time starting with the big club after training camp. I think by game 20 or so he will hit his stride. All he needs is a goal, a couple of assists, and a scrap or two to get him going.

Are you his brother?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

At what point do you see that he is just not good enough? He has not played well yet. What has he shown that he HAS this magical ability that you hope for?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Brandon Manning in a nutshell
MixedAssuredGrouse.gif

lol...that about sums it up.

And hell, in the Canucks game he was skating and toe ppicked near the redline. This is not a 1-time thing.

:laugh:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
At what point do you see that he is just not good enough? He has not played well yet. What has he shown that he HAS this magical ability that you hope for?

Don't even bother. His avatar and profile pic are of the "ManDog" as he refers to him and in the intro thread he listed Manning as one of his favorite players.

It's laughable that after actually watching him play, combined with all the data someone can still say he's not that bad. The dude is one of the worst d-men in the league statistically and it's evident from just watching him.

I have no qualms with someone supporting a bad player and hoping they improve (I've done that myself) but you have to be able to admit they're bad otherwise you're just being delusional.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know that I've ever seen a player spend an entire full shift wildly out of position before, but Manning pulled it off. Even Rinaldo has never spent a full shift in the wrong place constantly.

How does even an AHL defenseman get it so wrong in the D-zone that they end up playing where a winger should, and then interfere with that winger when they back into him?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know that I've ever seen a player spend an entire full shift wildly out of position before, but Manning pulled it off. Even Rinaldo has never spent a full shift in the wrong place constantly.

How does even an AHL defenseman get it so wrong in the D-zone that they end up playing where a winger should, and then interfere with that winger when they back into him?

Because even in the AHL he was known for being awful defensively, but at that level he put up points.

So basically, AHL level offense and ECHL level defense.... yet somehow hes in the NHL...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Though it is a small sample those stats are actually pretty hard to do worse than:

Where those stats would have put him last season amongst NHL Dmen (500+ EV minutes, 206 Dmen played that much)

45% CF = 183/206
20% GF = 206/206
35.56% High % chances = 206/206

59.26% Ozone starts = 20/206

The CF% is tbf probably the best indicator of how he is playing... with the High % chances following after. GF% is pretty tough to draw much from without a sample of say ~30-50+ games... as goals are rare events and can balance out quickly.

Basically cements the fact that he is the worst defensemen in the NHL.

Anyone have Hextall or Hakstols email? I'll forward this.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
No, I understand. Look, if he starts failing miserably, I will be the first one to buy him a ticket to LHV.

It's funny, though, he has actually looked pretty good one-on-one against Jagr the past couple of games. Go figure.

You'd better get on that, then.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Manning > MacDonald and Grossmann

The tools are better and if given the chance to play and improve on defensive awareness and positioning, he would be a better defensemen than those two at a lower cast.

But in true Flyers fashion, we won't give a young defensemen the chance to play because he isn't yet as good as the overpriced veteran playing in front of him. Then he would be an asset that we can either keep or move in a trade for a pick once another defensive prospect surpasses him.

I.E. Erik Gustafsson

So Rebel, safe to say you changed your mind on Manning? ^^^^^^

Basically cements the fact that he is the worst defensemen in the NHL.

Anyone have Hextall or Hakstols email? I'll forward this.

Just poking fun bro! :laugh:

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia

Please tell me which areas of the game Manning excels. Also, why in the world you think he deserves to play in the NHL.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
My view of it is, if you are a 6/7 type guy you should have one NHL level skill to bring at the table. Pucking moving, skating, crease clearing, anything you should just have one think you do that is NHL caliber. And I don't think Manning as one.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
ive already rigged my apartment with confetti to pull the moment i hear the news that manning is gone

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Rebel, safe to say you changed your mind on Manning? ^^^^^^

Just poking fun bro! :laugh:

Absolutely! I deserve it. I was way off. The dude is like Eddie Mush from A Bronx Tale. Everything he touches turns to mush. I mean, who gets 2 phantom penalties on 1 shift?

He still might be better than MacDonald or Grossmann though! HaHa!

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Of course he's better than AMac and Gross. He has made two major mistakes that have led to goals. Other than that, he hasn't looked worse than any other Dman so far this year.

As far as what he brings to the table, he is an above average skater and passer. He has good offensive instincts and is a decent fighter. My main problem with him so far is that he has simplified his game too much this year. Manning needs to forget that and go ahead and pick up the pace. Pretend it's the AHL instead of the NHL. He needs to play with confidence and not be afraid to loosen up a bit. Then we will all see the real Brandon Manning. Hopefully it starts tonight in Calgary.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He made two major mistakes that led to goals just in the one game against Dallas.

And he has worse possession numbers than Grossmann and MacDonald had last season despite getting much easier usage. I could live with all the defensive gaffes if he contributed a point or two, but he has provided zero offense despite being gifted a ton of Offensive Zone starts.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...fense&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...fense&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Of course he's better than AMac and Gross. He has made two major mistakes that have led to goals. Other than that, he hasn't looked worse than any other Dman so far this year.

As far as what he brings to the table, he is an above average skater and passer. He has good offensive instincts and is a decent fighter. My main problem with him so far is that he has simplified his game too much this year. Manning needs to forget that and go ahead and pick up the pace. Pretend it's the AHL instead of the NHL. He needs to play with confidence and not be afraid to loosen up a bit. Then we will all see the real Brandon Manning. Hopefully it starts tonight in Calgary.

I just noticed your picture is Manning.

World class trolling! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad