Player Discussion: Brandon Hagel

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This. He ain't leaving. If there's one retiring a bolt at this point, it's him.
Possibly Hedman too, but, as of right now, despite the down season, you have to think there will be a tempting contract or two out there.

Kucherov might actually be around the age that he will be a candidate to sell off when the rebuild becomes official -- 3 to 4 years, maybe? I feel like he will be in a similar situation to Patrick Kane this year at that point. But there's always a chance the team around him ages like the Bruins and we keep on trucking.

Agreed that Stamkos is by far the most likely guy to retire with the team. The one scenario where it might not happen is a sort of Vinny Lecavalier scenario, where his play drops off drastically while the team is still ready to contend. But I feel like our contention is probably going to be pretty much in line with his decline, and he will play until it's no longer worth it to him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Two things:

He shot almost 17% and i'd say its likely he stays around there, the previous two years were 22 and 12.
He'll have a bigger role with the offense next year. He had some games over the 20 minute mark but not as many as you'd think for a guy that scored 30. He'll get longer looks on the top two lines, i'd guess.

Reactions: Renopucker

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
You guys think Hagel was as good as his production this year or do you think he falls back to 50ish points?
if he is on the first line and top powerplay he could honestly produce more but as long as he is on one of them he should stay around the same amount of points maybe a bit less. 30 goals i doubt he gets again but who knows

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
You guys think Hagel was as good as his production this year or do you think he falls back to 50ish points?
I think the biggest factor will be if last year's top line plays most of this season together or it's broken up. I think he'll still be a good top 6 foward even with a lower point total as long as he hustles like he did last season.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Im gonna guess just under 7m for 8 years and will probably happen by the all-star break

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I imagine that if he prices himself out of what we can afford, there will be some team offering up a monster package for him next summer. What a savvy trade, and so many on here including myself weren't happy with it at first.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I imagine that if he prices himself out of what we can afford, there will be some team offering up a monster package for him next summer. What a savvy trade, and so many on here including myself weren't happy with it at first.
With Killer gone, Hagel seems like the leading candidate to take his PP spot full time, which could definitely lead to more points. I'm not sure at what point he prices himself out. 80?

Reactions: Rschmitz

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If Hagel has another year like this past one or improves, you don't let him walk. Between the cost it took to acquire him, plus(if he has another successful year between .7 and 1 ppg) the evidence that he's a 26 year old top 6 core talent, that's someone you do what it takes to do to keep. Tampa isn't going to get anything close to what they paid if they move him next summer either, as any team interested will likely know, especially if JBB has overpaid Stamkos already, that Tampa has little leverage. The acquiring team would throw out a mediocre offer no doubt, or at least an underwhelming one, knowing that JBB could either take it, or if nor, oh well. Tampa would then have to risk arbitration if they couldn't re-sign him, and then they get him for one more year before he walks(if the team could even afford that).

The best thing would be to extend Hagel now, but who knows if that's a feasible option given the current cap situation. I do know that trading Hagel for futures because they decided to hand Sramkos an expensive retirement deal, especially after saving some money by sacrificing Colton in favor of Jeannot(presumably in the hopes of having more $ for future contracts such as this), not only runs completely counter to JBB's."win now" approach but also closes the window even faster. The money should be there for Hagel next year in the 7 range, provided JBB doesn't back the brinks truck up for Stamkos and the cap does increase the rumored/speculated 5%.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
With Killer gone, Hagel seems like the leading candidate to take his PP spot full time, which could definitely lead to more points. I'm not sure at what point he prices himself out. 80?

I think so, especially if he hits 40 goals. That is why I think it's best to try and give him some guaranteed money now and lock him up before he strings two great seasons together and leverages the hell out of us. We could afford him on a one year deal but if we are buying UFA years next summer he's going to be the highest paid player on the team.

He's going to want to get paid considering he's played for peanuts his entire career, he's definitely going to UFA if we don't give him what he wants.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If Hagel has another year like this past one or improves, you don't let him walk. Between the cost it took to acquire him, plus(if he has another successful year between .7 and 1 ppg) the evidence that he's a 26 year old top 6 core talent, that's someone you do what it takes to do to keep. Tampa isn't going to get anything close to what they paid if they move him next summer either, as any team interested will likely know, especially if JBB has overpaid Stamkos already, that Tampa has little leverage. The acquiring team would throw out a mediocre offer no doubt, or at least an underwhelming one, knowing that JBB could either take it, or if nor, oh well. Tampa would then have to risk arbitration if they couldn't re-sign him, and then they get him for one more year before he walks(if the team could even afford that).

The best thing would be to extend Hagel now, but who knows if that's a feasible option given the current cap situation. I do know that trading Hagel for futures because they decided to hand Sramkos an expensive retirement deal, especially after saving some money by sacrificing Colton in favor of Jeannot(presumably in the hopes of having more $ for future contracts such as this), not only runs completely counter to JBB's."win now" approach but also closes the window even faster. The money should be there for Hagel next year in the 7 range, provided JBB doesn't back the brinks truck up for Stamkos and the cap does increase the rumored/speculated 5%.

If he's a ppg player next year I think it's highly unlikely he signs for anything in that range. It would be excellent if he would though.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If he's a ppg player next year I think it's highly unlikely he signs for anything in that range. It would be excellent if he would though.
I don't think he gets to 80 points, but more in the 60-70 range again. In any case, he's not a player you trade for scraps in favor of handing Stamkos ridiculous money for age 35+ seasons. If Hagel does get around 65-70 points playing with Point and Kuch, something in the 7 range is fair. I'm still hoping that, as with Point, Cirelli, Serg etc, JBB can get the Hagel extension done this summer, and then deal with Stamkos with what they have left available. If Stamkos prices himself out, so be it, as while it would suck to lose him for the last couple years of what is likely top 6 production, for the overall benefit of the team long term, that should be the plan.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't think he gets to 80 points, but more in the 60-70 range again. In any case, he's not a player you trade for scraps in favor of handing Stamkos ridiculous money for age 35+ seasons. If Hagel does get around 65-70 points playing with Point and Kuch, something in the 7 range is fair. I'm still hoping that, as with Point, Cirelli, Serg etc, JBB can get the Hagel extension done this summer, and then deal with Stamkos with what they have left available. If Stamkos prices himself out, so be it, as while it would suck to lose him for the last couple years of what is likely top 6 production, for the overall benefit of the team long term, that should be the plan.

I guess in other words it all depends on production and contract demands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad