Player Discussion: Brandon Hagel

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Said this at the time of the trade, there is way too much uncertainty around Hagel to think he would come in and be productive for us. People in this thread were way too dismissive that his role here would be vastly different, and approved just because we made a splashy move to improve the team.

What JBB should have done is find a cheap rental with a good track record as a middling forward, and then if he really liked Hagel make a deal for him at the draft. Value wise, I just hope JBB and the scouts did their homework, because Hagel has to produce like he did in Chicago for us to sniff fair value. I know he doesn't make a ton of money, which seems to be everyone's main argument for why we paid so much in futures, but that is only if he's playing on the scoring line and producing.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Said this at the time of the trade, there is way too much uncertainty around Hagel to think he would come in and be productive for us. People in this thread were way too dismissive that his role here would be vastly different, and approved just because we made a splashy move to improve the team.

What JBB should have done is find a cheap rental with a good track record as a middling forward, and then if he really liked Hagel make a deal for him at the draft. Value wise, I just hope JBB and the scouts did their homework, because Hagel has to produce like he did in Chicago for us to sniff fair value. I know he doesn't make a ton of money, which seems to be everyone's main argument for why we paid so much in futures, but that is only if he's playing on the scoring line and producing.
nobody making less than hagel, would have been better than hagel

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
nobody making less than hagel, would have been better than hagel
How do you figure? He hasn’t produced at all, he has no size or experience, in the role he is in now there are many proven lower line players who would at the very least have a meaningful impact. It’s always a risk to acquire a player in the middle of the year and hope for production, but in the case of Hagel in particular it should have been obvious he would struggle. He’s been borderline invisible, I really hope he can finally start making a difference or it’s going to be that much harder for us to win now that he is on a scoring line

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
How do you figure? He hasn’t produced at all, he has no size or experience, in the role he is in now there are many proven lower line players who would at the very least have a meaningful impact. It’s always a risk to acquire a player in the middle of the year and hope for production, but in the case of Hagel in particular it should have been obvious he would struggle. He’s been borderline invisible, I really hope he can finally start making a difference or it’s going to be that much harder for us to win now that he is on a scoring line
i dunno, stats-wise yeah he has not been there. but i definitely see him zipping around all zippy fast throughout the game. he has speed, and he is a great forechecker. note that our PK was terrible, and it's what we addressed at the TDL with the hagel and paul trades. also note that our PK is actually the only thing working at the moment. we didn't bring hagel in to score goals, we brought him in to kill penalties and be a pest in the offensive zone (and hopefully pot the occasional fortuitous goal ala coleman)

to be clear, i am not saying i am happy with the trade, or the cost. i am saying, i don't think there was a better option when you actually factor in all the constraints. hagel has more potential, but you're right we need to see some results soon if we want to go far in the playoffs.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
2 guys on page 9 of this thread claim Hagels Hawk numbers were a product of always playing with Kane and DeBrincat. … Strome centers the top line with Kane and Cat. Hagel played wing most often with others but as he showed value he saw a lot of time on the 2nd line.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
More of game 2 performance please..
In game 2, he got the game winner - or, in short, GWF (game winner for) Hagel.

In fact, he has to keep his feet moving dialectically: thesis — antithesis. If he remains static in synthesis he’ll get hit because he’s small. So he’d better be on his Kierke-guard.

I‘ll show myself out of the classroom now.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
In game 2, he got the game winner - or, in short, GWF (game winner for) Hagel.

In fact, he has to keep his feet moving dialectically: thesis — antithesis. If he remains static in synthesis he’ll get hit because he’s small. So he’d better be on his Kierke-guard.

I‘ll show myself out of the classroom now.
I'm soren you decided to come in here and write that

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
He needs to step up his play. Hasnt really been noticeable short of a few minor flashes.

BackLightningBack

May 12, 2022
Been impressed by his speed, effort, and his ability to tie the puck up against boards until changes are completed. After losing so many of our speedy forecheckers with Johnson & 3rd line. This was missed and one of the reasons I think the Lightning looked weak defensively. Hagel has helped bring back that speedy pest like play Gourde & Johnson brought to table.

Like the other additions this season, Hagel is contributing by making the Lightning a more complete team.

Go Lightning!!! ⚡⚡⚡⚡

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Two time repeating Cup Champion, in round two and toying sadistically with the league point champions, up 3-0, and there is a whine and cheeze party going on in this thread?

Man, I would love to be this spoiled.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Two time repeating Cup Champion, in round two and toying sadistically with the league point champions, up 3-0, and there is a whine and cheeze party going on in this thread?

Man, I would love to be this spoiled.
Hardly a "whine and cheeze party". Production might be a bit short of what were probably unreasonable expectations but I think most Bolts fans are generally satisfied with Hagel thus far, though I will concede that you will find a few here who believe that because two firsts were involved that it was actually DeBrincat who was coming over.

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Something has always bothered me about hockey culture slang (e.g. "dynamic", "getting their cup of coffee"), but watching him tonight I had that old saying "gripping his stick too tight" pop into my head.

Reactions: NatoGhost

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hagel goes into detail about the first 2 rounds. Really worth a read

I never expected to get traded.

Some players know something's coming, but I didn't.

I've never been the type to make excuses, but getting traded was tough. I didn't know a single person with the Lightning. I was trying to juggle fitting in with my new team and getting all my stuff moved from Chicago to Tampa. Processing everything in such a short amount of time was a bit of a challenge.

But here I am.

It may have took a little time, but now I feel so much more comfortable.
Tampa is an unbelievable place to play hockey. As a Canadian kid from Alberta, you never really know what you're going to get with hockey in Florida. Now, I can't imagine being anywhere else.

It's summer all the time. The fans are amazing. The people in this city are incredible.

You would think this place is an Original Six franchise by the way you get treated and the way the fanbase interacts with you outside of the rink. It's crazy.

Ducati Boy

HF Original
Feb 7, 2018
I was pumping this guy’s tires more than anyone else when we got him so, so far yeah, I’ve been a little disappointed. In Chicago, he was that waterbug forechecking type with some good second effort finishing around the net.

But here, I think he’s been told to play conservatively, just to try to fit in. I think that adjustment has made him a bit jittery and snakebitten. He’s also been told to be quick to get back on D so he’s not doing the dogged forechecking thing.

I‘m hoping he’ll come around next season when he’s a little more comfortable in his role.

Reactions: NatoGhost and Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Patrick Kane is severely underrated if he made this guy look like a top-6 forward. Gave him a long leash but he really needs to start converting, he does aggressively forecheck but he's not very strong on the puck and ends up panic dumping it or throwing it right back to the other team.

But yeah I think it is what it is this season, he's not going to magically improve when there's 10 games left in the season max. You just hope he fills out more of his frame, gets stronger for next season and that this isn't us getting Conacher'd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad