Confirmed with Link: Brandon Davidson for David Desharnais (20% ret.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It is super frustrating to talk to him because he has this weird vendetta against Chia.

Also he constantly says things like "the Oilers were lucky to get McDavid" and "McDavid is the only reason the Oilers are good". He uses these as a reason NOT to cheer for the Oilers.

He's been an Oilers fan his whole life, we land a superstar generational player and finally have a playoff team and he bails. Says he wants to be a league wide fan now.

Super ridiculous.

What poster is he? I'll talk to him for you.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It is super frustrating to talk to him because he has this weird vendetta against Chia.

Also he constantly says things like "the Oilers were lucky to get McDavid" and "McDavid is the only reason the Oilers are good". He uses these as a reason NOT to cheer for the Oilers.

He's been an Oilers fan his whole life, we land a superstar generational player and finally have a playoff team and he bails. Says he wants to be a league wide fan now.

Super ridiculous.

So your friend is Taylor Hall?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In all honesty though, I think the Oilers were probably the best fit for DD to go to for a revival of his game. Obviously its too early to know, but I liked the chemistry he showed with Caggiula, and even if that combo doesn't end up working, he should be in great hands playing with 2 big fast wingers in Kassian, Slepyshev, or Pouliot, with an outside chance that Puljujarvi could get a call up. Thats 4 potentially big fast wingers who all have at least decent shots for him to feed. Just seems like a match made in heaven if he and Caggiula together doesn't work out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
In all honesty though, I think the Oilers were probably the best fit for DD to go to for a revival of his game. Obviously its too early to know, but I liked the chemistry he showed with Caggiula, and even if that combo doesn't end up working, he should be in great hands playing with 2 big fast wingers in Kassian, Slepyshev, or Pouliot, with an outside chance that Puljujarvi could get a call up. Thats 4 potentially big fast wingers who all have at least decent shots for him to feed. Just seems like a match made in heaven if he and Caggiula together doesn't work out.

for sure in general we are a very big and physical team now, so if there was any team out there for DD, it was probably us. It's also not that we can overcome DD's size like it is a deficit, but that his small size could be a good complement to our team.

The comparison with Derek Roy has been brought up, and I like how Yak described him as the 'brain' of that line. DD could be similar in that he's the puck distributor, while guys like Kassian/Slepy/Khaira/Pouliot can own the boards. The hope is that last night wasn't a fluke, and that we will see some very good cycles from that line.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
for sure in general we are a very big and physical team now, so if there was any team out there for DD, it was probably us. It's also not that we can overcome DD's size like it is a deficit, but that his small size could be a good complement to our team.

The comparison with Derek Roy has been brought up, and I like how Yak described him as the 'brain' of that line. DD could be similar in that he's the puck distributor, while guys like Kassian/Slepy/Khaira/Pouliot can own the boards. The hope is that last night wasn't a fluke, and that we will see some very good cycles from that line.

Absolutely. The thing I liked the most about DD last night aside from his great vision on a few beauty setups is that he didnt seem to try to make cute plays with the puck. When he didnt have a pass, rather than try some risky low percentage pass he'd just fire it on net. Thats the smart type of play I want to see from a 3rd line that is playing the speedy scoring line style.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Obviously, it's WAY too soon to tell how this trade works out, but IMO, if DD can provide scoring (and additional flexibility in terms of personnel) in the bottom 6, it's more valuable than a having a 7th Dman.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Super ridiculous.

Yes. Super ridiculous indeed. Who wants to be a 'league wide fan'? wth is that? Professional sports is about competition and winning.

Should pro athletes all get participation ribbons now?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

Thats actually a really intriguing idea. While I'm totally content with leaving Puj to develop down in the AHL this year, he would probably look awesome with DD as a center to finish off his season in the Nhl, just let him play his game and not overthink anything, all he would have to do is focus on winning puck battles and getting open. Similar to Roy and Yak a couple years ago.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Thats actually a really intriguing idea. While I'm totally content with leaving Puj to develop down in the AHL this year, he would probably look awesome with DD as a center to finish off his season in the Nhl, just let him play his game and not overthink anything, all he would have to do is focus on winning puck battles and getting open. Similar to Roy and Yak a couple years ago.

It is possible Puljujarvi would look good with DD.

And this would drop Kassian down to the 4th, although Kassian and DD looked good together last game.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Bitter posts like this are just hilarious. Your hatred toward DD seems a little obsessive tbh, but perhaps this is the same treatment Horcoff got in Edmonton. Either way, I'm happy with what he's shown so far and he really just lets Draisaitl and Caggiula play in spots where they can be more effective for the teams overall performance. Even if DD+Caggiula ends up not working due to their size, we have plenty of fast big wingers in Kassian, Pouliot and Slepyshev that DD should be able to play to his strengths.

The hatred is more Therrien's fault than DD. DD was Therrien's boy and could do no wrong. I have never seen another player get top PP time for 20 games straight without a PPP(And by top PP time, I mean literally, always on the top PP with Pacioretty or whoever).

And for the record it was not for 20 games. I started questioning it at 20 games wondering why Galchenyuk was not given a shot(In my fantasy pools). It was, 33 games. 33 Games without a PPP from Nov 25 till Feb9th for DD.

It actually took DD getting injured, forcing Therrien to use Galchenyuk(And then Chuk scored something like 13 goals in 18 games, which pissed Therrien off because he knew he had no choice but to use Chuk more now)

But despite the world we live in, the french Canadian hometown boy, despite being 5'7, merely decent offensively and not being strong defensively, got preferential treatment even when he was sucking because he was Therrien's boy. The Oilers using him as 3rd and 4th line C will be much more realistic use of his abilities and you won't get a hate on for him like Montreal fans did.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
The hatred is more Therrien's fault than DD. DD was Therrien's boy and could do no wrong. I have never seen another player get top PP time for 20 games straight without a PPP(And by top PP time, I mean literally, always on the top PP with Pacioretty or whoever).

And for the record it was not for 20 games. I started questioning it at 20 games wondering why Galchenyuk was not given a shot(In my fantasy pools). It was, 33 games. 33 Games without a PPP from Nov 25 till Feb9th for DD.

It actually took DD getting injured, forcing Therrien to use Galchenyuk(And then Chuk scored something like 13 goals in 18 games, which pissed Therrien off because he knew he had no choice but to use Chuk more now)

But despite the world we live in, the french Canadian hometown boy, despite being 5'7, merely decent offensively and not being strong defensively, got preferential treatment even when he was sucking because he was Therrien's boy. The Oilers using him as 3rd and 4th line C will be much more realistic use of his abilities and you won't get a hate on for him like Montreal fans did.

im happy edm fans are happy but i guarantee you they will never be as happy as habs fans for having him off the team.

davidson was a bonus even if he doesnt play a single game. most oiler fans here hocked at the thought of DD thrown in a trade between us in all proposals... so the fact they took him and didnt expect a pick along with it is a bonus.

DD is a career 3rd liner that was playign with pacioretty for ALMOST 4 YEARS

explainign his points per game output

the last two seasons he barely played with him and it shows on the stat sheet.

i hope for oiler fans he offers more then he did the past 2 seasons and i hope when facing big fast teams from thew west DD doesnt disappear like he usually did with us.

as for Davidson.. he never really had a huge chance at playing top 4 minutes in edm or even top 6 minutes in edm.. and that will likely not change in MTL.with Markov Weber Petry Beaulieu Benn and Emelin all ahead of him.

who knows though. he may play.. and if not he will always be known as the player that came back in the DD trade.. and that alone should get him a statue.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
im happy edm fans are happy but i guarantee you they will never be as happy as habs fans for having him off the team.

davidson was a bonus even if he doesnt play a single game. most oiler fans here hocked at the thought of DD thrown in a trade between us in all proposals... so the fact they took him and didnt expect a pick along with it is a bonus.

i hope for oiler fans he offers more then he did the past 2 seasons and i hope when facing big fast teams from thew west DD doesnt disappear like he usually did with us.

as for Davidson.. he never really had a huge chance at playing top 4 minutes in edm or even top 6 minutes in edm.. and that will likely not change in MTL.with Markov Weber Petry Beaulieu Benn and Emelin all ahead of him.

who knows though. he may play.. and if not he will always be known as the player that came back in the DD trade.. and that alone should get him a statue.

Its crazy how DD managed to fool so many people including an NHL coach for years by coat-tailing off of other players.
Good thing that your discerning eye was able to extract the truth of who DD really is. His lack of ability surely will become more obvious over time.

I guess its best if all of us Oiler fans just stop holding up any hope that DD will be a positive impact on this team.
Thanks for the heads up. :help:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Its crazy how DD managed to fool so many people including an NHL coach for years by coat-tailing off of other players.

Guymez... You must have missed a crazy Habs fan post or two. The coach (Michel Therrien) was IN ON IT all along. Playing Desharnais when he should have been playing other players, or something.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Guymez... You must have missed a crazy Habs fan post or two. The coach (Michel Therrien) was IN ON IT all along. Playing Desharnais when he should have been playing other players, or something.

I have to admit I have not paid much attention to Desharnais when I watched the Canadiens. That being said its hard to take a post like that seriously....its a typical post from a fan of the team that just traded a player. Reviews like that clearly lack any objectivity what so ever and therefore there is little no value at all in that post.

I mean...why even bother posting biased nonsense like that. There really is no point. :shakehead

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008

Sounds like Oiler fans when they got rid of Justin Schultz. Sometimes players are just not a good fit with the team they're on. Oiler fans were ecstatic when Schultz was traded and said that we screwed Pittsburg by getting a 3rd round pick. Now Schultz is tied for 5th in scoring for D-men. Had to be done though as the fans had turned on him, much like Desharnais in Montreal.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Sounds like Oiler fans when they got rid of Justin Schultz. Sometimes players are just not a good fit with the team they're on. Oiler fans were ecstatic when Schultz was traded and said that we screwed Pittsburg by getting a 3rd round pick. Now Schultz is tied for 5th in scoring for D-men. Had to be done though as the fans had turned on him, much like Desharnais in Montreal.

As someone mentioned a few days ago (don't remember who it was), we as fans seem to have a weird thought process that we have a lot of power over the team. In no way, shape or form was Schultz driven out because of the fans. He was driven out because he didn't play very well with this team. It didn't surprise me that he started to play better with a better team (though just how much better is surprising, I'll admit that).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Pittsburgh was the perfect spot for him. He gets to play the 3rd pairing while getting PP time with 2 of the best players in the world.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
As someone mentioned a few days ago (don't remember who it was), we as fans seem to have a weird thought process that we have a lot of power over the team. In no way, shape or form was Schultz driven out because of the fans. He was driven out because he didn't play very well with this team. It didn't surprise me that he started to play better with a better team (though just how much better is surprising, I'll admit that).

The issue with Schultz while he was here was that he was constantly put in a situation to fail. He was being played as a top 4 (sometimes top 2) dman. When he predictably failed most fans pointed the finger at the player instead of at the team.
He is a bottom pairing damn with loads of offensive ability. If the Oilers would have had the defensive depth to use him properly he would likely still be here.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Good thing that your discerning eye was able to extract the truth of who DD really is. His lack of ability surely will become more obvious over time.

I guess its best if all of us Oiler fans just stop holding up any hope that DD will be a positive impact on this team.
Thanks for the heads up. :help:

I dont see how a post like mine could have offended anyone. I dont see how you or anyone can be surprised on how habs fans react to DD being traded or how we still feel about him. Regardless of what you think of him today or moving forward. These opinions may seem biased but they have been the opinions of the majority of habs fans going back years now. this isnt post trade syndrome like in many cases.

DD is a good little third line player that was over used and had his stats inflated by playign with one of the top 5 LW in the game. Whether you believe that to be true is your prerogative but I, for myself, had grown sick and tired of DDs usage and preferential treatment. It took an injury to DD for Galchenyuk to get top PP usage.

before that he (chucky) was being used less then 15 minutes a game in spite putting up the best P/60 minutess on the team.

Since DD has been pushed off the top 6 Galchenyuk has started producing at a PPG ratio.

Some may see it as 'developpemnt' but i dont. It was obvious to anyone that watched habs games that this would happen but it took far too long. like i mentioned it wasnt DDs fault. but the resent is still there.. especially when the last two years he has produced at a 30 point pace and still was put up with patches too many times.

The fact that his name was Desharnais and not Smith also had a role to play .. sadly.

he will be fine on your 3rd line...he will get his 30 points a year and if you give him PP time he might chip in a few more.

I believe he has something like 3pp points and 1 goal with the habs in his last 70 games. could be even more games then that. i lost track. he is average at best on faceoffs but you saw that for yourself on saturday. he did win two though and one of them turned into a goal.

For the past three years DD was a throw in in any trade involving him with any team including the oilers and many times, were asked to throw in a late pick just to take DD. now you are all defending based on one game.

but like i said.. he may turn out fine on your end but we are just happy to be rid of him. regardless of what Davidson does.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
The issue with Schultz while he was here was that he was constantly put in a situation to fail. He was being played as a top 4 (sometimes top 2) dman. When he predictably failed most fans pointed the finger at the player instead of at the team.
He is a bottom pairing damn with loads of offensive ability. If the Oilers would have had the defensive depth to use him properly he would likely still be here.

I believe that he's playing top pairing in Pittsburg and 1st PP unit.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
So Davidson is paired with Petry on Habs second pair in practice today. Get ready for the crap storm if they play well together.

Emelin was the only negative player on saturday against the rags.

wouldnt be surprised to see daviddson get a few looks onthe road trip. As long as he is physical and doesnt make too many mistakes with he puck its fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad