Confirmed with Link: Brandon Davidson for David Desharnais (20% ret.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I wasnt in the group of posters that called this trade gross and disgusting. As a matter of fact I was calling them out for over reacting.

As for the trade being better than the Lazar trade and an epic win for Chia...how can you possibly know that? Probably best to take your own advice and pump the brakes a bit.

Way to early for pronouncements of victory here.

I am pumping the brakes. I called Lazar an ECHL player. In reality, he's closer to a Chinook League player.

It's hard to understand what they were thinking on that one. What a terrible trade.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, no doubt. Its been one game for DD but he played well. Hope he continues it because that 3rd line of him, Kassian, and Caggiula was fun to watch last night.

Completely agree. Face off disaster aside I really like what I saw from DD last night. His vision was really noticeable....he was finding open line mates all game long.
I am intrigued by how he will look moving forward.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am pumping the brakes. I called Lazar an ECHL player. In reality, he's closer to a Chinook league player.

It's hard to understand what they were thinking on that one. What a terrible trade.

Yeah...I think you missed my point entirely.
Lazar is 22 years old and did already have some NHL success...lots of story yet to be written for that player.

I wouldn't have minded a bit if the Oilers had of picked up Lazar. he is a good gamble IMO.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I'd pump the brakes a bit. At home with sheltered minutes against a tired Wings squad might not be the best true indicator of his aptitude.

To the bolded, DD mostly played sheltered minutes in Montreal and mostly in the offensive zone.

His role in Edmonton should not change. He will most likely play more sheltered minutes and favorable zone starts.

If that's the case, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. He doesn't need to play in the Top Six like he did in Montreal where his coach had a love affair with him.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I was impressed by Desharnais last night. He doesn't really excel at anything in particular but he's smart and knows where to be on the offensive zone. If he can inject some offence in our bottom six I'll be happy.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'll wait a few games before I make any judgement on DD.

I've been one of the few defending DD on hand board for years. I probably have over a thousand or two thousand posts about him alone.

I like the guy as a person, he never did anything bad and was liked. I also know he's not a dominant force. His face offs will be better than last game but he won't make points every game either.

He's an NHLer but like you said, wait to pass judgement.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
It was only one game, but that line of Drake/DD/Kass looks pretty promising. They had chemistry right off the bat, and looked pretty dangerous out there. Desharnais gave a pretty good effort, fought for pucks, made some real nice passes, and kept the forecheck going all night. Like I said, one game, but so far so good, man. :handclap:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It was funny to read Twitter after this trade was made and how many stupid Oiler fans wanted Chia's head for this.

One of my friends (also a long time poster on this board) said he is no longer an Oilers fan because of this trade.

He is very over-dramatic.

Same thing happened this summer when we traded for Larsson. He came back on board when he saw how good we are.

He claims Desharnais was the final straw, but we'll see once the playoffs come around.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
One of my friends (also a long time poster on this board) said he is no longer an Oilers fan because of this trade.

Same thing happened this summer when we traded for Larsson. He came back on board when he saw how good we are.

He claims Desharnais was the final straw, but we'll see once the playoffs come around.

Haha. Wow. That's ridiculous.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
A layer that maybe has 2 or 3 good years left and is on the decline for a rising promising young d-man who are hard to get? Of course people would be upset.

Problem is the Oilers were going to lose Davidson anyway, but I thought Chia would be able to swing a deal with Vegas or at worst get a better return now.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
A layer that maybe has 2 or 3 good years left and is on the decline for a rising promising young d-man who are hard to get? Of course people would be upset.

Problem is the Oilers were going to lose Davidson anyway, but I thought Chia would be able to swing a deal with Vegas or at worst get a better return now.

I don't think Chia was too fond of Davidson's game. Sure he defended and moved the puck well, but what did he do consistently that could swing the momentum in a game? He provided next to no offense, didn't bring a hard physical game, and in general was a low event player when it came to both good and bad.

It's not to say that he isn't a decent defenseman, but Chia really doesn't seem to like these vanilla type players who don't stand out in any one faucet of the game. Just my two cents.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

While I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the players, I ask where did Davidson fit in long-term? He's not ideal for the right side and he's not ahead of Klefbom, Sekera, or Nurse on the left. If DD can play well and maybe provide a year or 2 stop gap on the 3rd line C, then we shouldn't really be worried about losing Davidson. There are plenty of D in the system that are going to be knocking on the door as early as next year (Oesterle, Reinhart, maybe Simpson), and there's plenty who could be knocking in 2-4 years (Jones, Bear, Mantha, potentially Paigin, Lagesson, Marino). There's just not as much of a need for a bottom 4 D right now in this organization, but there was a need for a 3rd line C so that Draisaitl could stay in the top 6 and Caggiula could return to wing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think Chia was too fond of Davidson's game. Sure he defended and moved the puck well, but what did he do consistently that could swing the momentum in a game? He provided next to no offense, didn't bring a hard physical game, and in general was a low event player when it came to both good and bad.

It's not to say that he isn't a decent defenseman, but Chia really doesn't seem to like these vanilla type players who don't stand out in any one faucet of the game. Just my two cents.

Thats a fair assessment. He's a classic jack of all trades but master of none, or at least he was last season when his offensive game was trending up (his offensive game was absolutely non-existent this year). He's a good defender, but there's 3 guys ahead of him on the left side, and essentially 3 on the right side as well which is an unnatural position for him to begin with. There's more than enough prospects who will be knocking on the door soon enough to replace anything that he might have brought, and if DD gives us that boost we need then I can live with losing Davy.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
While I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the players, I ask where did Davidson fit in long-term? He's not ideal for the right side and he's not ahead of Klefbom, Sekera, or Nurse on the left. If DD can play well and maybe provide a year or 2 stop gap on the 3rd line C, then we shouldn't really be worried about losing Davidson. There are plenty of D in the system that are going to be knocking on the door as early as next year (Oesterle, Reinhart, maybe Simpson), and there's plenty who could be knocking in 2-4 years (Jones, Bear, Mantha, potentially Paigin, Lagesson, Marino). There's just not as much of a need for a bottom 4 D right now in this organization, but there was a need for a 3rd line C so that Draisaitl could stay in the top 6 and Caggiula could return to wing.

Cap space is important too, and if all Davidson was going to be was a 7/8 depth D next year it's an extra 500-800k for Chia to play with having Reinhart/Oesterle/Simpson in the same role. I actually think Simpson could be a Davidson clone.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

The final straw hahaha. As if Chia has ran this team into the ground? That's priceless

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Jebus guys. There is only ONE important question about DD. It's not about faceoffs, zone starts, or even line mates. It doesn't matter if he s top 6, bottom 6, or extruding flatulence on the pine. None of this matters at all.

There is only one feasible question that even remotely pertains to his addition to the Oilers.

Is he taller than Johnny Hockey?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Wait. He reacted the same to this trade as the Hall trade? Overdramatics aside, that is just confusing to me. The two trades aren't even in the same galaxy as each other in terms of significance...

Also I agree with Jet about Chia's apparently desire to have players who excel at a certain task rather than jacks of all trades. Which gives me more comfort that he isn't just looking to build the Bruins 2.0 here. Some size, sure, it's helped. But I'd be mighty annoyed if we weren't keeping skill around McDavid and Drai in favour of board-grinding physical play. I guess we'll see what he does with RNH/Ebs. Keeping them or replacing them will have a significant effect on the team's character.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I've had enough of this "1st run at the playoffs in a decade" crap!!!:rant:

giphy.gif

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Yeah...I think you missed my point entirely.
Lazar is 22 years old and did already have some NHL success...lots of story yet to be written for that player.

I wouldn't have minded a bit if the Oilers had of picked up Lazar. he is a good gamble IMO.

I'm actually really glad the Oil didn't bite on that one. As far as I'm concerned, the fewer former Oil Kings players, the better. The optimal number would be... none.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It is super frustrating to talk to him because he has this weird vendetta against Chia.

Also he constantly says things like "the Oilers were lucky to get McDavid" and "McDavid is the only reason the Oilers are good". He uses these as a reason NOT to cheer for the Oilers.

He's been an Oilers fan his whole life, we land a superstar generational player and finally have a playoff team and he bails. Says he wants to be a league wide fan now.

Super ridiculous.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It is super frustrating to talk to him because he has this weird vendetta against Chia.

Also he constantly says things like "the Oilers were lucky to get McDavid" and "McDavid is the only reason the Oilers are good is because of McDavid". He uses these as a reason NOT to cheer for the Oilers.

He's been an Oilers fan his whole life, we land a superstar generational player and finally have a playoff team and he bails. Says he wants to be a league wide fan now.

Super ridiculous.

He sure sounds like a closet leafs fan especially with the McDavid comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad