Confirmed with Link: Brandon Davidson for David Desharnais (20% ret.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
It is super frustrating to talk to him because he has this weird vendetta against Chia.

Also he constantly says things like "the Oilers were lucky to get McDavid" and "McDavid is the only reason the Oilers are good". He uses these as a reason NOT to cheer for the Oilers.

He's been an Oilers fan his whole life, we land a superstar generational player and finally have a playoff team and he bails. Says he wants to be a league wide fan now.

Super ridiculous.

Tell him Puritania of HFBoards says he doesn't deserve to be a fan of the Oilers. That'll set him straight.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Sounds like the same guy posted this tweet:

EDIT: Can't embed the Tweet for some reason, so here's the quote.

The MVP is Connor McDavid. He's so good he's convinced people that his GM knows what he's doing and that they have a model beyond pure luck.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The issue with Schultz while he was here was that he was constantly put in a situation to fail. He was being played as a top 4 (sometimes top 2) dman. When he predictably failed most fans pointed the finger at the player instead of at the team.
He is a bottom pairing damn with loads of offensive ability. If the Oilers would have had the defensive depth to use him properly he would likely still be here.

I don't disagree. Same problem with Petry. Expectations were high, coaching and management failed to functional place them in the depth charts/not enough depth to be able to play them where they should be played.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Sounds like the same guy posted this tweet:

EDIT: Can't embed the Tweet for some reason, so here's the quote.

One of the best parts of this season compared to seasons past, is when people say moronic things like this, I just get to laugh at their stupidity instead of grinding my teeth at the bottom of the standings.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
im happy edm fans are happy but i guarantee you they will never be as happy as habs fans for having him off the team.

davidson was a bonus even if he doesnt play a single game. most oiler fans here hocked at the thought of DD thrown in a trade between us in all proposals... so the fact they took him and didnt expect a pick along with it is a bonus.

DD is a career 3rd liner that was playign with pacioretty for ALMOST 4 YEARS

explainign his points per game output

the last two seasons he barely played with him and it shows on the stat sheet.

I don't see It. Going back to 2011-12, Pacioretty has been pretty consistent, with full season totals of 65 - 60 - 67 - 64 points.

So far this year, he has 58 in 66 games, so right where he's always been.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99420

If Desharnais was dragging Pacioretty down, I would expect to see a noticeable increase in Pacioretty's offensive numbers once DD was off his line and PP unit ...

... but I don't see much of a "Desharnais effect" at all.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I have noticed a "Desharnais effect" on our third line however. They must've had five or six really good scoring chances in the game against Detroit, all set up by Desharnais.

Kassian and Caggiula had their best games of the year.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I don't see that at all. Going back to 2011-12, Pacioretty has been pretty consistent, with full season totals of 65 - 60 - 67 - 64 points.

So far this year, he has 58 in 66 games, so right where he's always been.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99420

If Desharnais was dragging Pacioretty down, I would expect to see a noticeable increase in Pacioretty's offensive numbers.

But I don't see much of a "Desharnais effect" at all.

in the first 24 games this season, PAcioretty had 5 goals. he played with desharnais for 17 of those games and was used with him on the PP the majority of the time.

Since then he has had either Galchenyuk or Danault as a center and has 26 g in 40 games which is a pace of 53g per season.

LAst year in the final 30 games he played with galchenyuk for 28 and finished with 26 points in 28 games which is more of a PPG pace which he has never had.

from 2013 and on Pacioretty has 33 goals on the power play and desharnais has points on 9 of them

radulov has 5 this year on patches 8 goals on the PP>

PAtches is on pace for his best season

without Desharnais as his linemate he is pro rated for a 84 point season

Desharnais has talent and can hold is on on a limited basis..

i dont mean to make him sound worse then he may be.

i was tired of him falling down on his own, losing faceoffs so often it became noticeable and being pushed off the puck so easily.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I have noticed a "Desharnais effect" on our third line however. They must've had five or six really good scoring chances in the game against Detroit, all set up by Desharnais.

Kassian and Caggiula had their best games of the year.

Steve Ott was 11 of 13 on faceoffs with one assist in his first game as a hab. He missed a breakway and also had another two scoring chances. Andreas Martinsen set up Ott twice missed a breakaway as well had three other scoring chances.

One game does not an effect make

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I dont see how a post like mine could have offended anyone. I dont see how you or anyone can be surprised on how habs fans react to DD being traded or how we still feel about him. Regardless of what you think of him today or moving forward. These opinions may seem biased but they have been the opinions of the majority of habs fans going back years now. this isnt post trade syndrome like in many cases.

DD is a good little third line player that was over used and had his stats inflated by playign with one of the top 5 LW in the game. Whether you believe that to be true is your prerogative but I, for myself, had grown sick and tired of DDs usage and preferential treatment. It took an injury to DD for Galchenyuk to get top PP usage.

before that he (chucky) was being used less then 15 minutes a game in spite putting up the best P/60 minutess on the team.

Since DD has been pushed off the top 6 Galchenyuk has started producing at a PPG ratio.

Some may see it as 'developpemnt' but i dont. It was obvious to anyone that watched habs games that this would happen but it took far too long. like i mentioned it wasnt DDs fault. but the resent is still there.. especially when the last two years he has produced at a 30 point pace and still was put up with patches too many times.

The fact that his name was Desharnais and not Smith also had a role to play .. sadly.

he will be fine on your 3rd line...he will get his 30 points a year and if you give him PP time he might chip in a few more.

I believe he has something like 3pp points and 1 goal with the habs in his last 70 games. could be even more games then that. i lost track. he is average at best on faceoffs but you saw that for yourself on saturday. he did win two though and one of them turned into a goal.

For the past three years DD was a throw in in any trade involving him with any team including the oilers and many times, were asked to throw in a late pick just to take DD. now you are all defending based on one game.

but like i said.. he may turn out fine on your end but we are just happy to be rid of him. regardless of what Davidson does.

I wasnt offended at all by your post. As I stated i just didnt find much if any value in the information you provided.
There was no delineation between DD's play before his injury and after his injury. The tone of your post was that he was junk and basically always had been.

So my post was in response to what was basically a useless synopsis of DD's play. Your original post came across like it was the typical disparaging post of someone from a team that just traded a player away.

You seemed to have softened your position a little bit in this post which is fine.

I have heard from other Hab fans that with big wingers and softer minutes DD can provide some offense. His faceoffs have fallen off but he is a 50% career faceoff man so there is every reason to think that he will be able to achieve that once again.

Fit matters and Montreal was basically a small team when he was there...that affects things for the player and the team as well.
This is a much bigger team than the Habs and they should be able to shelter him a bit...he sounds like a good fit for this team...we shall see how things play out.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Steve Ott was 11 of 13 on faceoffs with one assist in his first game as a hab. He missed a breakway and also had another two scoring chances. Andreas Martinsen set up Ott twice missed a breakaway as well had three other scoring chances.

One game does not an effect make

backwardsy sentence structure does not a point make

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
i dont mean to make him sound worse then he may be.

i was tired of him falling down on his own, losing faceoffs so often it became noticeable and being pushed off the puck so easily.

Sounds like he was your own Sam "Snowpants" Gagner! ;)

(for the record, I'm still a Gagner fan and have been very happy to see him rebound this year)

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
I wasnt offended at all by your post. As I stated i just didnt find much if any value in the information you provided.
There was no delineation between DD's play before his injury and after his injury. The tone of your post was that he was junk and basically always had been.

So my post was in response to what was basically a useless synopsis of DD's play. Your original post came across like it was the typical disparaging post of someone from a team that just traded a player away.

You seemed to have softened your position a little bit in this post which is fine.

I have heard from other Hab fans that with big wingers and softer minutes DD can provide some offense. His faceoffs have fallen off but he is a 50% career faceoff man so there is every reason to think that he will be able to achieve that once again.

Fit matters and Montreal was basically a small team when he was there...that affects things for the player and the team as well.
This is a much bigger team than the Habs and they should be able to shelter him a bit...he sounds like a good fit for this team...we shall see how things play out.

Like I mentioned I hope for oil fans he could pick up his game but the reason I didn't mention him pre and post injury was because he has gone through major slumps in the past. In 2014 he had gone through a stretch of one goal and 3 points over a 30 game span. Therrien kept putting him out on shootouts stating it could help him snap out of it. When other players went through similar slumps and had been successful in the shootouts in the past, when questioned post game why said player wasn't used in shootout one game his response was that he has been struggling and had scored Ina month. This did not stop him from using desharnais in similar slumps. This is what aggravated most habs fans. It became about getting DD going often and not always in the best interest of the teAm.

His stats the past 3.5 years have fallen and he's nearing 30. He isn't fleet a foot and format posses a great shot. He has great vision and this will help him a sim sure he will make sure to give it his all being a contract year

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Like I mentioned I hope for oil fans he could pick up his game but the reason I didn't mention him pre and post injury was because he has gone through major slumps in the past. In 2014 he had gone through a stretch of one goal and 3 points over a 30 game span. Therrien kept putting him out on shootouts stating it could help him snap out of it. When other players went through similar slumps and had been successful in the shootouts in the past, when questioned post game why said player wasn't used in shootout one game his response was that he has been struggling and had scored Ina month. This did not stop him from using desharnais in similar slumps. This is what aggravated most habs fans. It became about getting DD going often and not always in the best interest of the teAm.

His stats the past 3.5 years have fallen and he's nearing 30. He isn't fleet a foot and format posses a great shot. He has great vision and this will help him a sim sure he will make sure to give it his all being a contract year

Clearly you dont think the injury was at all relevant which is quite odd considering how much it impacted his game.
Its also clear that you are blaming the player for how he was being used (misused).

Its clear you dont like the player but you have failed to support your narrative with anything of substance.
So in light of that...how in the world can an Oiler fan take your opinion on this player seriously?

You are really trying to drive home the point that you dont like Desharnais and then you throw in the odd 'I hope he works out' comment just to soften the edges around how much you dislike him.

I have no idea what you are hoping to accomplish here.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Clearly you dont think the injury was at all relevant which is quite odd considering how much it impacted his game.
Its also clear that you are blaming the player for how he was being used (misused).

Its clear you dont like the player but you have failed to support your narrative with anything of substance.
So in light of that...how in the world can an Oiler fan take your opinion on this player seriously?

You are really trying to drive home the point that you dont like Desharnais and then you throw in the odd 'I hope he works out' comment just to soften the edges around how much you dislike him.

I have no idea what you are hoping to accomplish here.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He's much like Gagner.
Huh. So it turns out there was no point in overpaying Gagner and then trading him for nothing in a panic. Who knew.

Brought in Pouliot and Purcell, over paid for both of them and neither was any better than Gagner. Actually worse in the sense that at least Gagner had proven that he would work hard on any line and in any role, which clearly Pouliot and Purcell do not. Doubt the team even saved a dime in salary. And Chiarelli ends up going back to a guy who is very much a Gagner comparable, but several years longer in the tooth. :doh:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
If someone feels the need to continue this riveting conversation, make Part II.

Otherwise, we're past 1k and closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad