Claimed off Waivers: Brandon Davidson Claimed by Edmonton

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
His PDO was something like 95... was he liable on high danger chances against? Or was goaltending struggling?
To be fair goaltending wasn't great as this was when Price was either not playing or not really playing like Price, but I think he just allowed to many quality scoring chances (that a better defenseman could have stopped) to stick with the team.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He was undisputedly a top pairing defenceman last season. This year he's struggled and been playing injured but his last 5 or so games have been better.

He was not even that good defensively last season. He still had the same problems he has this season just not as bad. Weak positioning, caught pinching regularly. Gets caught flatfooted regularly. Larsson made him look decent defensively last season, but he was overrated. That is why Larsson was +21 and Klefbom was only +7, certainly was not because of Klefbom.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
once Sekera is back, we have Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera, Davidson, and Russel at LHD

Nurse is the future, Sekera and Russel have NTC. I wonder if Klef might be available? He was a legit 1st pairing dman on a cheap contract. His value would be huge
the oil will just roll with nurse-larsson, sekera-klefbom, davidson-benning. no reason to mess with that.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Davidson's advanced stats were very good in Montreal. Didn't get a chance to watch him much with the Habs - where was he struggling?

his advanced stats were very good but his actual play was very bad

hes a slow skater and he constantly gave horrible turnovers

CBJFan19*

Jan 22, 2013
He was undisputedly a top pairing defenceman last season. This year he's struggled and been playing injured but his last 5 or so games have been better.

So uh klefboom can be a top pairing even though he's been horrible this year, but Ryan Murray was a top pairing guy last year and isn't this year so he can't be a top pairing guy?

That makes a ton of sense.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Good riddance.

His skating is Douglas Murray level brutal. His stride is just awkward and he has zero attributes other than just being a body on the ice. Morrow and Jerabek have been better and we have even more cap space for March if need be.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah the team who's has more #1 overall picks in the last decade than anyone else in hockey is just so great, oh look I think they just lost again...

Klefbom has proven he can play on an effective, productive top pairing at the NHL.

'Kind of looks okay sometimes I mean yeah only in the right circumstances with the right partner with carefully managed ice time' Ryan Murray is not a comparable. At all.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Can we just be civil and maybe stop effortlessly throwing around the term “TOP PAIR DEFENSEMAN.” Yes Oscar has shown flashes of great play… maybe a clapper or two not sure what else. Regardless pairings are just at times pairings, the “top” isn’t necessarily the most skilled all-star fantasy duos, let the professionals decide the dynamics. Kelf is far from say a true top 30 backend and the team’s defense is far more questions than Oscar.
To say he’s proven himself to be top D-man is tainted with Oiler homerism, no one is calling him a Pietrangelo, Hedman, Karlsson etc. but he’s also not popping up in conversations around a Faulk, Giordano, or Vatanen conversation. And he’s still no where near those former names listed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can we just be civil and maybe stop effortlessly throwing around the term “TOP PAIR DEFENSEMAN.” Yes Oscar has shown flashes of great play… maybe a clapper or two not sure what else. Regardless pairings are just at times pairings, the “top” isn’t necessarily the most skilled all-star fantasy duos, let the professionals decide the dynamics. Kelf is far from say a true top 30 backend and the team’s defense is far more questions than Oscar.
To say he’s proven himself to be top D-man is tainted with Oiler homerism, no one is calling him a Pietrangelo, Hedman, Karlsson etc. but he’s also not popping up in conversations around a Faulk, Giordano, or Vatanen conversation. And he’s still no where near those former names listed.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I said he's proven he can play on an effective, productive top pairing and that he's better than Ryan Murray, not that he was a top defenceman.

He's also absolutely better than Vatanen and I would argue he's about on par with Giordano - just much younger and cheaper.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Good riddance.

His skating is Douglas Murray level brutal. His stride is just awkward and he has zero attributes other than just being a body on the ice. Morrow and Jerabek have been better and we have even more cap space for March if need be.

That's interesting. I haven't watched Davidson since leaving Edmonton last season. Skating was never something that stood out for me as being an issue with him. I'll be watching to see if this assessment has any truth to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad