Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I hope I'm wrong and you are all right. Our RD is average other than McAvoy. We may have to play two of the speedier teams (Tampa/Toronto, at least one of, maybe both). Slower guys like McQuaid , Miller, Holden all struggle with speed and have a hard time getting the puck out of the zone against a strong fore check.
Carlo is better at closing gaps and getting the puck out than any of these guys. He had been playing very well before his injury. I don't see enough on right D to make it through a cup run. Those are all ideally 3rd pairing guys who can play up in the lineup for a game or two but not for an entire run IMO.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The injury sucks, but I think people are overrating his importance. He stepped up when Chara and McAvoy went down, but, while it hasn't been a bad year by any means, it's been an uneven one for him. If Carlo is the reason they aren't able to go on a run, they were never going to go on a run anyways.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope I'm wrong and you are all right. Our RD is average other than McAvoy. We may have to play two of the speedier teams (Tampa/Toronto, at least one of, maybe both). Slower guys like McQuaid , Miller, Holden all struggle with speed and have a hard time getting the puck out of the zone against a strong fore check.
Carlo is better at closing gaps and getting the puck out than any of these guys. He had been playing very well before his injury. I don't see enough on right D to make it through a cup run. Those are all ideally 3rd pairing guys who can play up in the lineup for a game or two but not for an entire run IMO.

Well just compare them to TB and Toronto RDs.

Toronto - Hainsey, Zaitsev, Polak

TB - Girardi, Stralman, Coburn

McAvoy, Miller, McQuaid/Holden is as strong a RD as either of those teams.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I think Miller can be a solid second-pairing D for this team for the playoff run. He’s improved so much over the past two seasons. Missing Carlo is not ideal but the depth is there.

Reactions: Chief Nine

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
So do you go

Chara Chuckles
Krug Miller
Gryzz McQuaid? Or Gryzz Holden?

Hard decision, I like McQuaid there if he moves his feet but Holden provides better transition and goal scoring.

McQuaid in the playoffs. Holden isn’t that great defensively and a Gryz-McQ pair will allow each to play to his strength

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

I really wouldn't call Miller slow anymore

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's the speed of those teams offense that scares me. Their Defense will be their offense.

Their speed (especially Toronto's) up front would be scary with or without Carlo. Certainly Carlo being out in favour of Holden or McQuaid doesn't help matters, but their speed would be a potent weapon to contend with regardless.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
3 straight losses since he went down. For all the crap he took this year his role on the team is not easily filled.

I love Carlo, but he is replaceable on D. He isnt the reason for this losing streak, and he wont be the reason if we fail in the playoffs.
I think the main reason we are losing is because we are dead tired out there, and we actually miss Riley Nash.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Their speed (especially Toronto's) up front would be scary with or without Carlo. Certainly Carlo being out in favour of Holden or McQuaid doesn't help matters, but their speed would be a potent weapon to contend with regardless.

I fully agree. I think we'd have a hard time with or without Carlo. Probably 7 games series with either team. My point is, this may just be what tilts it in our opponents favor. Sometimes the line between winning and losing can be very thin. I'd rather play the series with him than without him. He takes a lot of slack around here , probably because he doesn't have the snarl you may expect from someone his size. To me, he is technically the best defender we have. I'll admit he leaves lots to be desired offensively.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I fully agree. I think we'd have a hard time with or without Carlo. Probably 7 games series with either team. My point is, this may just be what tilts it in our opponents favor. I'd rather play the series with him than without him. He takes a lot of slack around here , probably because he doesn't have the snarl you may expect from someone his size. To me, he is technically the best defender we have. I'll admit he leaves lots to be desired offensively.
HAL Gill was also unfairly criticized around here for his lack of "snarl" despite his size.

He had a nice career for himself even earning a ring.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
McQuaid in the playoffs. Holden isn’t that great defensively and a Gryz-McQ pair will allow each to play to his strength
No McQuaid is a penalty killing machine. I would rather Mcquaid in there as a bottom defender than Miller. Easy just my two cents.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Saw him today testing a new virtual hockey simulator and he looks good an healthy.

He was jumping a bit and putting weight on his leg and looked solid.

McQuaid and Kuraly also took a spin on the machine and looked great too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad