Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I feel so bad for the kid. Has worked his ass off two seasons in a row just to miss the biggest games of his career a week before. :( We'll miss him just like we missed him last year, and I know he'll be back and ready to go, but man. He must have broken the wrong guy's mirror.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Fractured ankle requiring surgery

Big fan of him and a significant loss

I wonder if this was ice related?

I sit pretty much right there in that area and my kid has on multiple occasions complained about the ice by the door

Man that really stinks, guy had a great season and was on his way to playing in his first playoff series after missing it last season.

See you in September Brandon!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Man that really stinks, guy had a great season and was on his way to playing in his first playoff series after missing it last season.

See you in September Brandon!
He's going to get that corner named after him the way he's going

Pesky Pole meet the Carlo Corner

Ugh

Reactions: BMC

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Sadly the loss of Carlo will probably cost us a chance at the SC I'm afraid.

Na, too soon to say that. It's the next injuries (or lack of them) that may decide that. Other teams are going to lose people to. It's the sum of all those parts that will decide what happens.

If someone beats Tampa before we have to for example, and maybe someone beats the Penguins, all of a sudden we have a clear lane. Lot of luck can happen, a bit like Ottawa last year. We need some of it.

Reactions: HumBucker

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this really sucks. that Holden deal looking better every day. Kinda makes you wonder if things would have gone differently last year if they'd made a couple depth moves. I think the Bruins have the depth to absorb this if they don't lose any more big pieces, but I think the loss of Carlo is going to be felt significantly in the dropoff to McQuaid's skating. McQuaid will get his games & is still arguably better below the dots, but I'd rather have Carlo in there against the teams that will want to turn games into a race.

long-term I just really, really hope this doesn't hurt Carlo's game when he recovers. A shutdown D who can skate is such a valuable commodity, I hope he doesn't lose any footspeed or agility because of this.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
This sucks.

I was just really coming around on him, I liked him before but he was really raising his ceiling IMO. Sadly this probably hurts him financially and emotionally as well as physically.

I really hope this doesn't mess up his skating. For some reason I had a nightmare about alexie zhamnov last night.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
this really sucks. that Holden deal looking better every day. Kinda makes you wonder if things would have gone differently last year if they'd made a couple depth moves. I think the Bruins have the depth to absorb this if they don't lose any more big pieces, but I think the loss of Carlo is going to be felt significantly in the dropoff to McQuaid's skating. McQuaid will get his games & is still arguably better below the dots, but I'd rather have Carlo in there against the teams that will want to turn games into a race.

long-term I just really, really hope this doesn't hurt Carlo's game when he recovers. A shutdown D who can skate is such a valuable commodity, I hope he doesn't lose any footspeed or agility because of this.
Bang on

BruinsNetwork

I really don't think this will have an impact on his development or skating-ability moving forward, to be honest. Unfortunate injury, but he did get lucky that it was a fracture and not some kind of ligament-tear or rupture.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I really don't think this will have an impact on his development or skating-ability moving forward, to be honest. Unfortunate injury, but he did get lucky that it was a fracture and not some kind of ligament-tear or rupture.
Thanks for the take

You know anything on JFK status

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Some would of said the same thing when Pittsburgh lost Letang last year.

It's a loss, no doubt. His contributions will be missed.

But this isn't on the same level as say when the Bruins lost Seidenberg in 2014. The guys they have to replace him (McQuaid and Holden) are solid players and a far cry from when the Bruins had to use Bartkowski and Mezsaros to fill Seidenberg's spot.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

This is a joke right?

Carlo is good, but losing Carlo isnt the end of the world. K Miller and McQuaid/Holden can admirably fill in for Carlo. The only D that would hurt badly are Chara/McAvoy/Krug. I think the others are replaceable as of now.

Reactions: BiGBear8

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This is a joke right?

Carlo is good, but losing Carlo isnt the end of the world. K Miller and McQuaid/Holden can admirably fill in for Carlo. The only D that would hurt badly are Chara/McAvoy/Krug. I think the others are replaceable as of now.

I agree and would add that Grizz would be tough to replace also. He's young, but they need his puck moving skills back there.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

I think that's a bit much. Now, if we lose ANOTHER RD, then this injury will add to something like that, but right now...Kevan Miller is just as good, if not better, than Brandon Carlo is. If McQuaid plays 3rd pairing with Grzelcyk, instead of Holden, their defensive core is still good, and could get us to a SC.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is a joke right?

Pretty much.

Provided we don't do something stupid and play Holden over Grizz of course. Who knows what the team does last year if we played Grizz instead of Tommy Cross...

Holden and Potsma are still 7/8. McQuaid is the toughest guy in the league and our #6. We are fine if no more injuries hit.

I LOVE Carlo but waiting another year to find out if hes the type to up his game in the playoffs is no biggie.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Screenshot_20180404-173124_Instagram-720x1480.jpg

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Pretty much.

Provided we don't do something stupid and play Holden over Grizz of course. Who knows what the team does last year if we played Grizz instead of Tommy Cross...

Holden and Potsma are still 7/8. McQuaid is the toughest guy in the league and our #6. We are fine if no more injuries hit.

I LOVE Carlo but waiting another year to find out if hes the type to up his game in the playoffs is no biggie.

Yes - let's just hope there aren't any more injuries. Luckily we have Potsma as our 8 now (who is better than Cross will ever be) but let's stop there.

BruinsNetwork

Thanks for the take

You know anything on JFK status

Had himself quite the concussion following that nasty-collision with B. Smith a few weeks back. He started practicing this week in the red, non-contact jersey. Similar to the Lauzon situation earlier in the season when he himself had a concussion, the team is taking as much time necessary to ensure proper healing.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty much.

He will be fine - these guys are playing against guys they grew up idolizing he he was never even in Providence long enough to rent a place

He doesn't have to be mean - he has to be assertive.

His recognition needs to be better which will come with experience, and he needs to be more decisive and harder with the puck consistently but it's getting better and will come

Zboril and Lauzon will have 100+ AHL games and countless instructional practices and one on ones by the time they hit the NHL

His future is very bright

Reactions: Estlin

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I really feel bad for Carlo. Still going down my own personal path with ankle issues myself, albeit my first break in November of 2015 was more serious than Carlo’s (displaced trimalleolar fracture of the right ankle - e.g. complete breaks all the way through both the tibia and fibula and I broke the joint itself) after falling down a flight of stairs. I actually just had the third surgery on my ankle two weeks ago, which was the total ankle joint removal and ankle fusion with a plate in front. I’m 28 now and was 26 when I first broke it. Ankle breaks are no joke and can come with a whole host of nasty complications (I developed a rare nerve disorder called RSD, which turns out was being caused by the plate that was installed on my tibia as it had been placed directly on top of and was crushing a cluster of nerves). Wishing Brandon the best in his recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad