Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
- 9th in the league in blocked shots ( 1st overall among rookies ).

- only two registered giveaways

- leads all rookies in TOI

- leads all rookies in SH TOI and by an obscene margin. Carlo plays 4+ minutes on the PK. The second place guys plays 2+ minutes per game.

carlo a roy candidate?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
carlo a roy candidate?

A darkhorse ( probably top 5 ), but I'm sure one of the forwards will be winning the trophy this year. Carlo will probably be the best rookie dman who's eligible and let's face it: defensive dmen aren't sexy picks among the ones who give out votes. For Carlo to get serious attention with some of the names out there right now, he'd have to put up 30+ points while maintaining his high defensive play and I just don't see him putting up the points needed to get that attention among the national media.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
A darkhorse ( probably top 5 ), but I'm sure one of the forwards will be winning the trophy this year. Carlo will probably be the best rookie dman who's eligible and let's face it: defensive dmen aren't sexy picks among the ones who give out votes. For Carlo to get serious attention with some of the names out there right now, he'd have to put up 30+ points while maintaining his high defensive play and I just don't see him putting up the points needed to get that attention among the national media.

If this team can every get healthy and sustain pressure over more than the 1st and 4th lines, I think 30 points isn't necessarily out of his reach. I just think he would have to win the Norris to even be considered for ROY this year. Matthews has that trophy be default.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If this team can every get healthy and sustain pressure over more than the 1st and 4th lines, I think 30 points isn't necessarily out of his reach. I just think he would have to win the Norris to even be considered for ROY this year. Matthews has that trophy be default.

Matthews hasn't exactly been tearing up the league since his 4 goal debut.

Laine has been hot and cold. Vesey is only 1 point behind Matthews.

The best rookie I've seen this year, forward or D-man, has been Zach Werenski.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Matthews hasn't exactly been tearing up the league since his 4 goal debut.

Laine has been hot and cold. Vesey is only 1 point behind Matthews.

The best rookie I've seen this year, forward or D-man, has been Zach Werenski.

He's been pointless in his last 4 games, but still is PPG. He had a lot of good games since those 4 goals and I'm expecting him to (unfortunately) get back to that kind of playing.

I'm expecting the either Matthews or Laine to get it and it's likely going to be Matthews.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's been pointless in his last 4 games, but still is PPG. He had a lot of good games since those 4 goals and I'm expecting him to (unfortunately) get back to that kind of playing.

I'm expecting the either Matthews or Laine to get it and it's likely going to be Matthews.

I'm not saying he's been terrible, but engraving his or Laine's name into the Calder is very premature.

Werenski is a PPG as a D-man. That to me is more impressive than Matthews or Laine having a couple really strong games.

But even with him penciling him in for the Calder is really too early.

And really, if a 23-year old Vesey outplays a 18-19 year old Matthews/Laine/Werenski over the course of 82 games, it wouldn't be surprising at all.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
There was one play he made yesterday in the second period that was subtle but so nice to see....it looked like 2 Panthers were going to get by him at their blue line and break in on Chara 2 or 3 on 1, Carlo got his stick in and whacked the puck away and killed the play right there.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'm not saying he's been terrible, but engraving his or Laine's name into the Calder is very premature.

Werenski is a PPG as a D-man. That to me is more impressive than Matthews or Laine having a couple really strong games.

But even with him penciling him in for the Calder is really too early.

And really, if a 23-year old Vesey outplays a 18-19 year old Matthews/Laine/Werenski over the course of 82 games, it wouldn't be surprising at all.

Highly touted rookies from Canadian franchises have an inside track for the trophy. When the media machine gets behind someone there's no stopping the hype train. Carlo could be playing 30 minutes a night, but unless he puts 50+ points he doesn't have a chance to win the Calder.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
He HAS made mistakes, and he seems like one of those guys that has a short memory. He gets right back out there and doesn't appear to let the mistakes bother him. I am completely OK with that as long as he's not repeating the same mistakes over and over.

The only thing missing on Carlo right now is the sample size.

Which is an extremely important aspect of his development.

I think this pick was already a home run because he was a 2nd round pick, and his skillset suggests he has the ability to play top four minutes. Top four d man in the 2nd round is a home run in my estimation.

I'm eager to see him in the middle of the season when fatigue sets in and see how he handles it. I'd also like to see him play without Chara. He isnt what he used to be but having the monster next to you is a major safety blanket.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
A near perfect Carlo comparison = Niklas Hjalmarsson?

What you guys think..

Nah. Carlo's much bigger for starters and that size is a big part of his game with that reach in particular.

Believe it or not, Hjalmarsson was actually an offensive D in his youth. Adjusted his game when he crossed the pond as he realised he wasn't good enough to compete in the NHL as an offensive defenseman. He still displays that skill sometimes, particularly with very solid zone exit passes, and plays a more two-way type of game when he's played on bigger ice surfaces (like in the world championships). I haven't seen that same type of skills from Carlo although I've admittedly only seen him in the WJC's and with the Bruins.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
When it the last time a defensive minded dman won ROY? Barrett Jackman?

Not sure we can ask for much more than what he has shown YTD. Unsure what he can contribute offensively and feel like he has chosen his jumps and pinches fairly well. His idol growing up was Rob Blake, iirc, but not nearly as aggressive as a hitter. Anyone who watched him in the WHL: was he nastier w guys his own age?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A near perfect Carlo comparison = Niklas Hjalmarsson?

What you guys think..

Hard to say, probably not, mostly because it's difficult to put a finger on Carlo's offensive potential.

Hjalmarsson is a decent puck-mover for a guy known for his defensive play, but he doesn't generate much in the offensive zone.

Carlo is really hard to compare. We haven't seen many guys that combine his reach, size, and defensive reads with his excellent skating ability, but don't appear to have a whole lot of offensive potential upon first glance. And he's big and strong but he's not a bone-cruncher either nor is he thick, at least right now. He's got a pretty unique combination of skills.

I've been trying come up with a comparable from the past and it's pretty tough. He has similarities to a lot of players, but lack those one or two areas for each comparable that you can say he looks like the next so-and-so.

A modern day Rod Langway maybe. But I can't really remember if Langway was a strong skater. But a top end guy who just doesn't create much offense but is a stud in his own end.

Last edited:

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
I see a Hedman or Parayko type not as offensive but the same kind of complete game, leaning more to the defensive side. Not as skilled as Robinson but maybe a Serge Savard stay at home guy. Robinson was that era's Chara, Savard was the 2nd best on the team. I see Carlo as a future #2 guy. Kind of Like Fetisov was number 1, Carlo would be the Kasatonov type guy.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Hard to say, probably not, mostly because it's difficult to put a finger on Carlo's offensive potential.

Hjalmarsson is a decent puck-mover for a guy known for his defensive play, but he doesn't generate much in the offensive zone.

Carlo is really hard to compare. We haven't seen many guys that combine his reach, size, and defensive reads with his excellent skating ability, but don't appear to have a whole lot of offensive potential upon first glance. And he's big and strong but he's not a bone-cruncher either nor is he thick, at least right now. He's got a pretty unique combination of skills.

I've been trying come up with a comparable from the past and it's pretty tough. He has similarities to a lot of players, but lack those one or two areas for each comparable that you can say he looks like the next so-and-so.

A modern day Rod Langway maybe. But I can't really remember if Langway was a strong skater. But a top end guy who just doesn't create much offense but is a stud in his own end.
Kluzak from the 88 season ?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He looks like nobody. It's only been less than ten games. I don't see any similarities with anyone. Let's give him room to play like Carlo. People love to jump the gun.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When it the last time a defensive minded dman won ROY? Barrett Jackman?

Not sure we can ask for much more than what he has shown YTD. Unsure what he can contribute offensively and feel like he has chosen his jumps and pinches fairly well. His idol growing up was Rob Blake, iirc, but not nearly as aggressive as a hitter. Anyone who watched him in the WHL: was he nastier w guys his own age?

maybe Tyler Myers being the last? Can`t recall precisely. I`m horrific at the comparison game and the fact it`s only been 9 games makes it difficult for me to compare him to someone.

Enjoying the early season ride he`s taking this fan on, virtually every game the kid makes a mistake but then doesn`t repeat that mistake. Rare for a rook, he`ll hit some ruts along the way but he`s a keeper, can`t wait for the rest of the young picks to start making some noise in a year or so

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
maybe Tyler Myers being the last? Can`t recall precisely. I`m horrific at the comparison game and the fact it`s only been 9 games makes it difficult for me to compare him to someone.

Enjoying the early season ride he`s taking this fan on, virtually every game the kid makes a mistake but then doesn`t repeat that mistake. Rare for a rook, he`ll hit some ruts along the way but he`s a keeper, can`t wait for the rest of the young picks to start making some noise in a year or so

Myers still had like 45 points I think. Id be happy if Carlo breaks 20

Jackman won in 2000 with 19 points when Zetterberg only had 44. I think the rookie forwards score too much for Carlo to get in the running.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Myers still had like 45 points I think. Id be happy if Carlo breaks 20

I wasn`t responding about who I`d compare him to but the poster who the last D-man was who won the Calder.

I think 20-25pts for Carlo would be reasonable though

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I wasn`t responding about who I`d compare him to but the poster who the last D-man was who won the Calder.

I think 20-25pts for Carlo would be reasonable though

I meant Myers had 45ish when he won the Calder. Carlo wont have the points to grt himself into the conversation. Werenski probably becomes the Calder D people talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad