Player Discussion Brandon Carlo II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There are a number of saavy veteran players who make the play and avoid even the routine hits. It's experience and positioning. How many times have we seen Marchand and Bergeron move the puck along the wall and spin away from the hit? Patrick Kane is exceptional at avoiding it. Unfortunately, Bergeron seemed to learn it after his concussion problems. Hopefully, Carlo will recover as well, or better, than Bergeron and learn to avoid these hits.

Spot on.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think as a team they need to collectively start throwing more hits in general, but it's hard to rack up hits when you have the puck 75% of the time like Boston did last night. It's why I laughed at the intermission report where they were fawning over the hit totals of the Islanders. The hit totals were disproportionate for the first 2 periods because NY had like 12 shots on net, FFS.
exactly

Reactions: LSCII

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
The 4th line of the Islanders does a great job of the soft dump, setting up their linemates to unload with big hits. Carlo knows he is going to be hit. He takes the hit to make the play, but due to the perfect dump-in, he does not have time to fully prepare for the hit.

In most cases, you brace against the boards and absorb the hit. In this case, Carlo leans forward to chip the puck leaving enough space from the boards to create the whiplash motion and his head hits the glass. This was not a dirty hit, but it was a punishing one. The type of hit that makes D-Men hear footsteps every time they retrieve a dump in and trust me you do hear them.

A D-Men needs to make the play Carlo made. If he pulls up it is a turnover. The type of turnover that demoralizes a bench because you see a teammate not willing to put it on the line for the greater goal of the team.

I hope he takes the time to get himself healthy.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
There are a number of saavy veteran players who make the play and avoid even the routine hits. It's experience and positioning. How many times have we seen Marchand and Bergeron move the puck along the wall and spin away from the hit? Patrick Kane is exceptional at avoiding it. Unfortunately, Bergeron seemed to learn it after his concussion problems. Hopefully, Carlo will recover as well, or better, than Bergeron and learn to avoid these hits.
You named a bunch of forwards. Forwards aren't usually digging pucks out directly behind the net. Carlo took the hit to make the play. Im sure there are some dmen in the league who can pull off a move to avoid a direct hit and make the play. I'm not sure Carlo is that type of player or could do something like that. He's a big boy and he made the right play and gave up the body to play the puck. If he avoided the hit and turned over the puck we would be killing him for not making the play. Really just an unfortunate incident that the guy on the other end was a freight train

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyBruin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Somebody needs to just throttle him back with a clean hit. Who I don’t know. Ritchie is too damn slow to catch him

I don't know man. Were talking about a player (Clutterbuck) who has over 3300 record hits in his NHL career and is almost at 900 games played and he's played the same way since Day 1. I don't see him changing his game at this point for anyone.

He probably has more hits than any other NHL player since 2007-08 when he broke in. If he had played his 900 games in Boston, he'd be a freakin' legend.

Reactions: RoccoF14

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I completely disagree. Scheifle was a clear charging penalty. If you can't tell the difference between the two then I really can't continue this discussion with you.

Ok, so why wasn't Krug suspended for his hit on Dunn? He skated twice as hard and also made no effort to play the puck.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sorry I see a massive difference.

What Clutterbuck did was a hockey play. Bad luck that Carlo's face and head hit the metal stanchion between the glass and gave him a good knock but Clutterbuck is just finishing his check and that's the right play IMO.

I can't say the same for Scheifele even though IMO his suspension was too harsh. Although from what they were saying last night, Schefiele's explanation to the league that he was trying to prevent Evans from scoring came across as not accepting responsibility as it's clear from the video IMO what his intent was (to truck Jake Evans) because he makes no attempt to play the puck, which was the right play to prevent that particular goal. So I think when he failed to accept responsibility it pissed them off and they threw the book at him.

Clutterbuck made no effort to play the puck. He wasn't trying to prevent a goal, wasn't trying to do anything but hammer Carlo and he adjusted to move forward on the hit when Carlo was in a vulnerable spot.

There's zero difference between the hits. Scheifele has been completely railroaded for a clean hit. Why should he have to make a play on the puck? So if he makes a token swing at the puck as he throws EXACTLY the same hit, is that different? It makes no sense whatsoever.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

It's dead wrong. Defense is different than being a foward, you have to put yourself in vulnerable positions and have to take hits. The forwards aren't the ones facing the forecheck. You're fawning over Bergeron but he got drilled in the numbers last night while make the same kind of defensive play as Carlo.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's dead wrong. Defense is different than being a foward, you have to put yourself in vulnerable positions and have to take hits. The forwards aren't the ones facing the forecheck. You're fawning over Bergeron but he got drilled in the numbers last night while make the same kind of defensive play as Carlo.

There's sacrificing the body to make a play, but there's also a better way to brace yourself for the coming hit. I don't think Carlo braces himself very well, which is why he keeps getting bounced off the boards face first.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ok, so why wasn't Krug suspended for his hit on Dunn? He skated twice as hard and also made no effort to play the puck.

The game wasn't over? The puck wasn't already in the net, making it a live play? He didn't make contact with the head?

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Clutterbuck made no effort to play the puck. He wasn't trying to prevent a goal, wasn't trying to do anything but hammer Carlo and he adjusted to move forward on the hit when Carlo was in a vulnerable spot.

There's zero difference between the hits. Scheifele has been completely railroaded for a clean hit. Why should he have to make a play on the puck? So if he makes a token swing at the puck as he throws EXACTLY the same hit, is that different? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Have you ever seen anyone throw a check? They don't make any effort to play the puck because they're playing the body. I mean, WTF games do you watch? :laugh:

Reactions: RoccoF14

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I don’t think these hits are remotely comparable

Clutterbuck finished his check like anybody else in his role would, Carlo just has a compromised brain at this point. It sucks but it is what it is

Scheifele tried to decapitate a guy

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
You named a bunch of forwards. Forwards aren't usually digging pucks out directly behind the net. Carlo took the hit to make the play. Im sure there are some dmen in the league who can pull off a move to avoid a direct hit and make the play. I'm not sure Carlo is that type of player or could do something like that. He's a big boy and he made the right play and gave up the body to play the puck. If he avoided the hit and turned over the puck we would be killing him for not making the play. Really just an unfortunate incident that the guy on the other end was a freight train
He wasn’t digging a puck out, though. This isn’t the same scenario as him digging the puck out of the corner and Wilson drilling him. He was doing what so many forwards do — picking up a puck along the boards behind the net. Whether he can learn to spin away from it is another question. It’s a learned skill. He’s a good skater, though. Perhaps there’s hope. I’m not questioning whether he made the correct play. I’m merely suggesting what a lot of people, including hockey players, are saying. He didn’t protect himself.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He wasn’t digging a puck out, though. This isn’t the same scenario as him digging the puck out of the corner and Wilson drilling him. He was doing what so many forwards do — picking up a puck along the boards behind the net. Whether he can learn to spin away from it is another question. It’s a learned skill. He’s a good skater, though. Perhaps there’s hope. I’m not questioning whether he made the correct play. I’m merely suggesting what a lot of people, including hockey players, are saying. He didn’t protect himself.

Yep. He needs to improve on his awareness, no question.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It looked bad. I'm not a doctor and I have no other info other than I saw Carlo's face as he sat up and watched him hobble off the ice. Just based on that I would be surprised if he played within the next week, but I'll let the professionals decide that and accept their decision. If doctors say he's good to play then who am I to question it?

Will I be concerned? You bet. Just like anytime someone looks at Bergeron the wrong way I still flinch, and he's been a warrior for how many years since the Jones-ing, 15?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The game wasn't over? The puck wasn't already in the net, making it a live play? He didn't make contact with the head?

What a dumb comparison. It wasn't even 0.1 seconds after the puck was off his stick. This isn't Aaron Rome on Horton.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I don’t think these hits are remotely comparable

Clutterbuck finished his check like anybody else in his role would, Carlo just has a compromised brain at this point. It sucks but it is what it is

Scheifele tried to decapitate a guy

Why can't Scheifele finish his check?

Kadri got 3-5 games for deliberately crosschecking a guy in the face and he's the ultimate repeat offender. You're telling me that if Scheifele had just crosschecked Evans in the face it would be the same?

I just don't see any possible way this deserves the same as Kadri.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Why can't Scheifele finish his check?

Kadri got 3-5 games for deliberately crosschecking a guy in the face and he's the ultimate repeat offender. You're telling me that if Scheifele had just crosschecked Evans in the face it would be the same?

I just don't see any possible way this deserves the same as Kadri.

He skated 200 feet to explode into a guy in a predatory, needless fashion.

I think Kadri should have gotten more myself but that’s DOPS for you, I wouldn’t try to use any prior punishments as precedent

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

In the Schefiele hit the right play was to play the puck IF as he apparently said to Hockey Ops, he was trying to prevent Evans from scoring. But the video evidence says he's not being honest with Hockey Ops, hence the harsher suspension. It's like a guy in front of a judge that admits he committed crime but doesn't seem all that sorry about it. Most judges aren't going to take too kindly to his inability to accept full responsibility.

The right play in the Clutterbuck hit was to finish his check.

I felt the Schefiele suspension was too harsh. I would of been fine with two playoff games. I don't even agree with it being charging, but it was a offense worthy of suspension because of the perceived intent. A non-dirty player upset at the unfavourable outcome of a game and takes it out on an opposing player. That's what happened here. Schefeile lost his cool and did something dumb. I don't think he should be vilified for it the way he has been on social media.

Then again, this is the same fanbase that called the police over a hockey hit so should we really be surprised.

member 96824

Then again, this is the same fanbase that called the police over a hockey hit so should we really be surprised.

I miss when this used to land really really well :(.

GDT's are incredibly discouraging to read these days. Went from "lolll you losers called 9-1-1 over a game" and "haha these losers believe the Colin Campbell conspiracy" to "The league has been out to get the Bruins for 15 years and Gary Bettman should be in jail" and 80 pages of ref whining.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I miss when this used to land really really well :(.

GDT's are incredibly discouraging to read these days. Went from "lolll you losers called 9-1-1 over a game" and "haha these losers believe the Colin Campbell conspiracy" to "The league has been out to get the Bruins for 15 years and Gary Bettman should be in jail" and 80 pages of ref whining.

I find myself joining in less and less these days because of it. The latest bitch fest that makes me want to smash my face into a brick wall is the pissing and moaning about how the national broadcasters are against the Bruins. as if it matters or that they even care.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Scheifele got 4 this should have been 10 games.

Puck is looooooong gone and he buries Lucic right into the boards. No major, no minor, no fine, no suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad