Prospect Info: Brandon Bussi

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Does Bussi make one of Ullmark or Swayman expandable?

Bussi had/having an outstanding 1st year at Providence.

He is 6'4/6'5 200 + pounds. Moves really well for his size.

Made this crazy season saving save yesterday

This was also another exceptional save

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Can’t say Bussi makes one of our goalies expandable [sic] since there’s no more room to grow. But Bussi could make one expendable if he continues his development. Sweeney should explore trade possibilities for one of our goalies. If a first rounder is offered it should be taken seriously.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Is Bussi being ready for NHL duty out-of-the-question for next year?

Look at Swayman.....broke in at age 22 after 3 years at Maine. He started a playoff game that year which was his 20th pro game at the time.

Bussi will be 25 come next October. He played 3 years at Western Michigan. Is it unrealistic to think a 25-year old goaltender with one pro season is ready for the NHL? I don't think it is.

Then factor in how a goaltenders development or trajectory is much harder to predict than it is for players. When it comes to goaltenders, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if your 18 or 38, can you stop the puck?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Then factor in how a goaltenders development or trajectory is much harder to predict than it is for players. When it comes to goaltenders, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if your 18 or 38, can you stop the puck?
For the Bruins theme these days... are you even healthy to play?

Reactions: BruinDust

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Dont goalies mature around 24/25 anyways?

If you look at the last 10 Vezina winners it seems like it's that mid/late 20's for the most part

Screenshot_20230504_164151_Chrome.png

Assuming Ullmark wins this year, he'll be 29yr old when winning it.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can’t say Bussi makes one of our goalies expandable [sic] since there’s no more room to grow. But Bussi could make one expendable if he continues his development. Sweeney should explore trade possibilities for one of our goalies. If a first rounder is offered it should be taken seriously.

I certainly don't trade either goalie for picks. Picks are just so overrated, and such high bust potential. If I am making deals where I am giving up fairly elite talent at their position, i need a young player in return. Not someone who might be able to compete for a roster spot in 2026 or 2027

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Does Bussi make one of Ullmark or Swayman expandable?
If the cap only goes up by 1mil like was projected then we're almost certainly gonna have to move a higher salaried player. If the organization thinks Bussi is ready for the NHL then that has to make Ullmark expendable at his cap hit. Cash out on the vezina caliber season, give Swayman the net as the starter.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Some food for thought........

AHL stats this season

Brandon Bussi - Age 24 - GP - 32 - GAA 2.40 SP% .924

Akira Schmid - Age 22 - GP - 23 - GAA 2.62 SP% .905

Pyotr Kocketkov - Age 23 - GP 26 - GAA 2.64 - SP% .909

Alex Lyon - Age 30 - GP 23 - GAA 2.43 SP% .910

I don't know how much the strength of each guys team matters, but considering the number of games and the success each had at the NHL level this year, bodes well for Bussi.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Ullmark's value may never be higher than it is right now, likely Vezina winner who can say he was injured in the playoffs, there are a few teams that would like to add a Vezina winner to start the season. Bruins would get a pretty decent return, while freeing up cap space. I would trade him and see what Bussi can do paired with Swayman.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Look at Swayman.....broke in at age 22 after 3 years at Maine. He started a playoff game that year which was his 20th pro game at the time.

Bussi will be 25 come next October. He played 3 years at Western Michigan. Is it unrealistic to think a 25-year old goaltender with one pro season is ready for the NHL? I don't think it is.

Ready for the NHL, sure that could be.

But putting him on the level of an Ullmark or a Swayman is a big difference.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Ullmark's value may never be higher than it is right now, likely Vezina winner who can say he was injured in the playoffs, there are a few teams that would like to add a Vezina winner to start the season. Bruins would get a pretty decent return, while freeing up cap space. I would trade him and see what Bussi can do paired with Swayman.
I agree, Ullmark s value will be high, time to trade him but he s got a NMC (16 TEAMS NO TRADE LIST), sign a goalie vet for insurance, maybe Bussi could be the backup but i doubt it

Reactions: bbfan419

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
You’re suggesting that the way to have goaltenders perform their best in the playoffs is to straight up remove them from competitive games in the lead up?
not stop playing.
but if i remember correctly tge bruins had a rotation of swayman and ullmark after mid march?? they shoulve added bussi to the mix and sit swayman or ullmark for games. they had no reason to pkay just swayman and ullmark. if they were going for that dumbass record, well then they got what tgey asked for. With bergy and ullmark and the biggest choke in nhl history.

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
The reality is that it is not feasible to have two number 1 goalies on the roster from a cap perspective, The team needs cap relief and talent to reshape the roster, moving a goalie is a logical place to start. Both goalies are great, I agree that Ullmark is the right piece to move because has not performed as well in the playoffs as in the regular season. His injury limitations were not as impactful as the mental breakdowns, like the giveaway in OT, where the mind of a gold fish doesn't cut it. Give Swayman a shot at number 1, he has been good and put in his time.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
not stop playing.
but if i remember correctly tge bruins had a rotation of swayman and ullmark after mid march?? they shoulve added bussi to the mix and sit swayman or ullmark for games. they had no reason to pkay just swayman and ullmark. if they were going for that dumbass record, well then they got what tgey asked for. With bergy and ullmark and the biggest choke in nhl history.
The cap, call up limitations and trying to sock away money for the deadline/bonus coverage really should leave this idea stillborn.

Bussi is also arbitration eligible, so giving him NHL games would have run the risk of costing more cap next season.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad