Confirmed with Link: Branding, Jerseys, Community Involvement, Arena & Water Street Tampa - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Whatever happened to the plans for redeveloping the other side of channel side into something similar to L.A. Live? I remember they even released renderings of the plan. Anyone else recall this?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Whatever happened to the plans for redeveloping the other side of channel side into something similar to L.A. Live? I remember they even released renderings of the plan. Anyone else recall this?
You're talking about this? Tampa Lightning Creating Version of LA Live at Channelside - Rehab and Flip

That was very early 'visioning'. It's basically what became Sparkman Wharf.

Beyond a physical connection to the sites, Leiweke said, there needs to be an emotional connection and branding connection so visitors associate all the attractions together.
Alluding to a concert at the Times Forum Monday night, he said, “Our dream is Katy Perry is having chicken wings at (Channelside’s) Hooter’s post-concert tonight.”

Reactions: berlin

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What's the plans for the flour mill? I thought Water Street bought it.
I've got a Tweet out to see if anything's been made public.

Maybe the luxury of having so much acreage is that Water Street can figure out what they're short of later. All the talk has been on housing, hotels, food, shopping, but not much on other essentials like office space (doctors, lawyers, etc.), ice rinks, etc.

The visioning article mentions nightclubs, which I haven't thought about in the slightest. I'm not sure if you can monetize those in the day.

They've also got an industrial railway right there, which they may be temporarily using to bring materials in. Anyone know? They clearly aren't expanding the line.

They don't need a train station, as you can get off at Union Station a few blocks north, so I figure they'll disassemble what they can of the rail line, and take the space.

You could put more mixed-use in, but I kind of like the idea of a park. Specifically because it's on the current edge of Water Street, so I think you've got to have something kind of inviting that can draw people in.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Still feels like they’re going to do more eventually.
Seems like they're filling the building with office tenants. Fitness, real estate, co-working, etc.

LA Live is massive. I wouldn't even want that.

It's in a very GTA 5 area of LA if you look it up on Google Street View.

Reactions: berlin

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

An Athletic article, so pay walled. I picked part of it that I don't think is too much to share.

It sounds like this won’t change the organization structure with the Lightning, though, right?
Absolutely correct. This is where I’m at. I remain the majority owner. I retain full control over everything that goes on with respect to the Lightning and VSG in general. Steve Griggs is still the CEO. I still don’t interfere with trades. Nothing at all changes on a day-to-day basis or long-term.
So it’s not like where an investor is part of an organization’s board and has input with the team?
They made investments in several leagues and in each case, the league restricts their access to information given they may have more teams or pieces of team in the same league. They would be part of discussions that were very non-specific with respect to the NHL or the Lightning, but maybe they’ll ask about something like our NFT strategy or some area where they have expertise.
Are you guys involved with NFTs?
Not at the current time, but we’re discussing and thinking about the next step for the Vinik Sports Group and how we want to get involved.

NFTs feel off-brand for the Lightning. As I understand it, you at most own a token with a web address that links to artwork, but is presented as entirely owning the artwork (and possibly its rights). It's basically just the certificate of authenticity.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Anyone know the current plans for the Amalie roof? Old concept art had some type of greenery up there (not sure how that was supposed to work), with some kind of addition over the current private parking lot, but the current WST website pretty much leaves Amalie alone.

Could put some solar panels up. It's free real estate.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Anyone know the current plans for the Amalie roof? Old concept art had some type of greenery up there (not sure how that was supposed to work), with some kind of addition over the current private parking lot, but the current WST website pretty much leaves Amalie alone.

Could put some solar panels up. It's free real estate.

There actually already are some put up there, just not on the topmost part of the roof. The installation was done by TECO in.... 2012? 2013?
Not sure its enough to be of any consequence, I don't remember the exact size of the system, but there certainly is (or potentially was) solar there.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There actually already are some put up there, just not on the topmost part of the roof. The installation was done by TECO in.... 2012? 2013?
Not sure its enough to be of any consequence, I don't remember the exact size of the system, but there certainly is (or potentially was) solar there.
The latest drone video to drop (different YouTube channel so I missed it) doesn't really make it clear where any have been placed.

Do solar, do whatever up there, but I can see how the city and TECO would be interested in a high profile solar installation. There's a microchip shortage, but the cost of the panels seem to keep dropping over the years.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I still see the flour mill in full operation. Is that the last phase of the development?
Ardent Mills says on their website that their Port Redwing (I see how it is) facility will open in early 2022.

SPP also has plans that are supposed to begin this year. https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2021/08/25/water-street-arden-mills-property-planning.html

I think we're about near the end of phase 1 (although we need an Avengers style team up to cap off phase one), and phase 2 would begin the Mill SaGa.

Here's a breakdown of SPP's plans for the next phase:
  • 130,000 square feet of retail space
  • 2,050 residential units
  • 2,500 parking spaces
There's a lot to come still.

edit: I'll note that the parking spaces and residential units are probably somewhat tied. Most people will still own cars, so it probably won't actually 'create' that many parking spots, but rather be parking for residents. The rest will be for retail, employees, etc.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

[PHOTOS] Inside Lucy Sparrow's massive felt art installation, Tampa Fresh Foods
iu

I prefer the deals at Omega Mart, myself.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I see on the artist's website that she makes felt Bud Lights, so our plush Kucherovs can reenact #1 BS press conferences.

The items are pricey. 60 British pounds for the Bud Light can online. That's about $80 USD. They don't seem to be selling things for that much at the actual store, however.

This installation was originally supposed to open last year. I'm more of a 'death of the artist' type interpreter, but I don't really see what the intended message would be.

On one hand, you have a fully stocked grocery store with high prices in [current year]. This seems unintentional, but very appropriate for interpretation. Pretty much everything on the middle shelves is name brand and processed, frequently from sources we don't like to think about too much. Not sure if any of that is 'officially' part of it.

Based on some pictures, the item layout needs a bit of work for realism. Dairy, raw, and cooked meat are kept in the same refrigerator, etc. Knitpicking.

Last edited:
Reactions: LTIR Trickery

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I’m curious why they added a grocery store when you have a Publix directly across the street :huh:

I won’t complain though, the Water Street Project has kept myself (and numerous coworkers) very busy over the last few years and will continue to do so til we all retire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad