WWE: Brand Extension Returns

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Just finally finished this on the DVR

This show proved me wrong in 2 ways

1. I watched the draft, so I clearly watched Smackdown

2. I haven't seen the post TV draft results, but based on what I've seen, I'm more interested in Smackdown

Fun show with some weird picks, and that finish to the main even was spectacular, if a bit cartoony

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't know much about Samoa Joe, but that must be a bitter pill to swallow...to go from top dog in TNA (lol I know....but still), to being undrafted while in a WWE developmental show with younger talent getting boosted ahead of him.

I can only assume there's a clause in his WWE contract for main event matches, or maybe even PPVs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The clause is that he's getting paid, very probably more than anyone else in NXT who isn't Nakamura.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't know much about Samoa Joe, but that must be a bitter pill to swallow...to go from top dog in TNA (lol I know....but still), to being undrafted while in a WWE developmental show with younger talent getting boosted ahead of him.

I can only assume there's a clause in his WWE contract for main event matches, or maybe even PPVs.
Joe wasn't a top dog in TNA for a long time.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
What a disappointment. Even as a Styles and Wyatt fan they gave me no reason to start watching Smackdown. The Raw roster is much better/deeper. I don't care about Cena and BOrton.

Other questionable decisions:

-Breaking up the Bullet Club was dumb. I understand they want AJ to be the face of SD and Finn will probably just assume leadership of it on Raw, but they had a good thing going and ended it too soon. Balor, Anderson and Gallows should've all been on SD, have Balor join and then AJ split a few months down the line.

-Splitting the Wyatt's. Harper will be back and probably on SD, so they won't miss a beat, but Strowman will fail to get over as a singles guy.

-Carmella not being on the same show as E&C is a travesty.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
How would they handle callups or injury returns?

Is Harper promised to a show?

What about Taker...who we won't see until next spring anyway.

I have to think they kept some of the top NXT guys out of the draft because there aren't enough spots. They have a deeper midcard pool.

Oil Dude

Jan 10, 2010
Alberta
What a disappointment. Even as a Styles and Wyatt fan they gave me no reason to start watching Smackdown. The Raw roster is much better/deeper. I don't care about Cena and BOrton.

Other questionable decisions:

-Breaking up the Bullet Club was dumb. I understand they want AJ to be the face of SD and Finn will probably just assume leadership of it on Raw, but they had a good thing going and ended it too soon. Balor, Anderson and Gallows should've all been on SD, have Balor join and then AJ split a few months down the line.

-Splitting the Wyatt's. Harper will be back and probably on SD, so they won't miss a beat, but Strowman will fail to get over as a singles guy.

-Carmella not being on the same show as E&C is a travesty.

Strowman is screwed , no way around it. The guy cannot talk or wrestle , and will be buried under the deeper Raw roster.

All is not lost on Smackdown though , Wyatt if booked properly could become the monster heel everyone has always wanted , and he will need to be with the weaker group.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If Owens and Cesaro got switched with Corbin and Kane I don't think people would be nearly as upset as they are. That alone would probably be enough to "fix" the draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Joe wasn't supposed to ever have a realistic chance at a call up. The way his contract was done they figured he would just be in NXT. No one accounted for Joe ending up having one of the best periods of his career down there, and now they are high enough on him that they do want to bring him up eventually.

He is the champ right now and is most likely heading into a two Takeover feud with Nakamura for now.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The thing I don't understand about Mojo, Nia and Eva being drafted to the main roster is that all 3 desperately need more seasoning in developmental.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The thing I don't understand about Mojo, Nia and Eva being drafted to the main roster is that all 3 desperately need more seasoning in developmental.
Eva wasn't in NXT, she was on the main roster, and has been for most the year. She's just not been on TV. She's still terrible ofc.

Mojo doesn't really have a high ceiling. At best he'll be Ryder tier, and he's never going to get a push in NXT. Might as well call him up now to make room for more down there.

Nia should be in NXT longer. She has potential, and she's unique on the roster. Give her a year or two and she'd be so much better, but they do need more women so there you go.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
And with this NXT exodus, it would be the perfect chance for Apollo Crews to cut his teeth as a top babyface in NXT before getting called up. But they jumped the gun on that.

This would have been a great opportunity for Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, and Damien Sandow to get more exposure. This draft really came at the worst possible timing. WWE just can't help themselves, always shooting themselves in the foot for no reason.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
And with this NXT exodus, it would be the perfect chance for Apollo Crews to cut his teeth as a top babyface in NXT before getting called up. But they jumped the gun on that.

This would have been a great opportunity for Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, and Damien Sandow to get more exposure. This draft really came at the worst possible timing. WWE just can't help themselves, always shooting themselves in the foot for no reason.

Things are run by an old fart who got rich on instincts. Punk was right when he said that Vince is a millionaire that should be a billionaire.

McMahon clearly isn't a very good manager. He is innovative, he thinks "out of the box", he can see an opportunity, but he is no CEO. The "everything goes through the old man" structure needs to go.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I like the idea of having Nia Jax on the main roster a lot more than I actually like having the current version of Nia Jax called up

The women's division would be a lot fresher with a monster heel type to play off of, and I'd love for it to be Nia, but as raw as she still is I don't expect her to go on much of a run

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
If Owens and Cesaro got switched with Corbin and Kane I don't think people would be nearly as upset as they are. That alone would probably be enough to "fix" the draft.

If you could get Sami, Owens and Cesaro on Smackdown

Keep all the Women on one show, and Tag teams on another

That would have been perfect

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If you could get Sami, Owens and Cesaro on Smackdown

Keep all the Women on one show, and Tag teams on another

That would have been perfect
That's dumb. Tag Team wrestling is amazing. Sounds like WinterEmpire is also known as Vince McMahon. ;)

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
That's dumb. Tag Team wrestling is amazing. Sounds like WinterEmpire is also known as Vince McMahon. ;)

Tag team wrestling is great when you have a strong roster. But there isn't a large enough group of tag teams that you can successfully split them into two separate entities. I remember how the tag team division just flat out died during the original split.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Mojo has been in development for a while and wasn't going to do anything with the NXT crowd and roster. Its sink or swim time for him so if he doesn't get over on the big show they can cut him.

Nia doesn't have much left to do in NXT she can't keep losing to Bayley/Asuka. She is green but will add to the womens division and should learn alot from Charolotte and Sasha.

Eva, well she is super hated in NXT. She can't walk into a crowed there without them revolting. If they ever gave her the title the fans might burn the ring down for real. So not much to do with her there. Might as well bring her up and see if she can catch on somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad