Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I’m calling it 500G 1200P. Book it.

I’m not diminishing Stone in any way, I love the player, but Brady is so under appreciated on here because Dorion can’t build a roster.
For the sake of wanting success in Ottawa, I hope you're right because 1200 points is Alfie level production which would be an absolute treat

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
to put in perspective. the league leaders have almost double the points of Brady. and another player has almost as many goals as Brady does points.

Reactions: SquidNasty

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
500g, 1200p player? My guy, chill.

Brady has never scored 40g and is putting up numbers in some of the highest-scoring years the league has seen. Stone coming into the league and being healthy would be outscoring Brady and not a defensive liability.

Do you not remember how clutch Stone was in the 20-14-15 season (his first full year with the Sens)? It wasn't just Hammond and EK carrying us, Stone was performing at a PPG Hart level in the second half of the season and had a Calder nomination. In his first season, Brady looked somewhat serviceable in both ends of the ice because he was on Stone's line. Meanwhile our captain has tantrums that so many mistake for passion because we're used to such mediocrity.

If Brady had the leadership or hockey IQ of Stone, our leadership would be so much better. 500g player lol.
You should look up how many goals, assists, points and games played Brady had in the league before Stone ever cemented himself as a full time NHLer. Stone's Calder nomination happened in his D+5 season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The narrative from many here after we took Brady

8 goals !!!! We wasted 4OA on a guy with 8 goals.

Then Brady produced and we heard that is was because of Stone. Stone leaves and Brady increases production.

Then it was Brady is at best a 25-25 guy until Brady blew away those predictions.

We heard early on Brady can’t skate. Well he moves pretty well now.

We heard Brady can’t score from more than 5 feet from the net. He scores from distance now.

We heard Brady has no vision and can’t make plays for others. Well that was proven wrong.

Now the narrative is that he can’t defend, well he is improving and doubting he becomes a plus defender is setting yourself to be proven wrong again.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Stone was T67th in league scoring in his 24 year old season, Brady is T40th.

More thinking that if we're gonna rely on Brady to be the best player on our team, let alone franchise history. We're screwed.

And yea Brady had a better 24 year old season, but that's also by far Stones worst year.

Seems a little selective and biased to just base the better player on that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The narrative from many here after we took Brady

8 goals !!!! We wasted 4OA on a guy with 8 goals.

Then Brady produced and we heard that is was because of Stone. Stone leaves and Brady increases production.

Then it was Brady is at best a 25-25 guy until Brady blew away those predictions.

We heard early on Brady can’t skate. Well he moves pretty well now.

We heard Brady can’t score from more than 5 feet from the net. He scores from distance now.

We heard Brady has no vision and can’t make plays for others. Well that was proven wrong.

Now the narrative is that he can’t defend, well he is improving and doubting he becomes a plus defender is setting yourself to be proven wrong again.
There are a few posters on here that have a hate on for Brady and nothing will change their minds short of a Cup.
If you look at the problems of this year Brady is way down the list. Hell he is one of the few guys who have played hard these past 25 games when the Sens were out of it.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
More thinking that if we're gonna rely on Brady to be the best player on our team, let alone franchise history. We're screwed.

And yea Brady had a better 24 year old season, but that's also by far Stones worst year.

Seems a little selective and biased to just base the better player on that.
Okay then. I used 24 year old because that was this year.

23 year old season
Mark Stone T35th
Brady T24

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Okay then. I used 24 year old because that was this year.

23 year old season
Mark Stone T35th
Brady T24
Focusing on the age of two players who started their careers at different D+ years is nonsensical.

You have such a narrow-minded perspective of the critique of Tkachuk. Tkachuk has higher draft pedigree and potential than Stone. He was fortunate to play his rookie season on a line with Stone, which has helped with his development and he's developed fine offensively since being drafted, particularly breaking projections for his offensive ceiling. But he has his limitations and him firing it up during garbage time shouldn't be an excuse to put on blinders about him.

But no one has made a hyperbolic comparison saying Brady will be a 1200-point player by the end of his career aside from you.

I hope posters can realize that it's possible to cheer for our team, including our captain while critiquing them. Everyone on our team, including Tkachuk have so many ways to go before we become a playoff team.

Reactions: SquidNasty

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Focusing on the age of two players who started their careers at different D+ years is nonsensical.

You have such a narrow-minded perspective of the critique of Tkachuk. Tkachuk has higher draft pedigree and potential than Stone. He was fortunate to play his rookie season on a line with Stone, which has helped with his development and he's developed fine offensively since being drafted, particularly breaking projections for his offensive ceiling. But he has his limitations and him firing it up during garbage time shouldn't be an excuse to put on blinders about him.

But no one has made a hyperbolic comparison saying Brady will be a 1200-point player by the end of his career aside from you.

I hope posters can realize that it's possible to cheer for our team, including our captain while critiquing them. Everyone on our team, including Tkachuk have so many ways to go before we become a playoff team.
Firing it up during garbage time ? He’s been consistent the whole season.

What are Brady’s limitations ?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Firing it up during garbage time ? He’s been consistent the whole season.

What are Brady’s limitations ?
He'll allow his brother to ragdoll us without even responding with a body check to him. Loses control of his emotions too much and doesn't know when to channel his passion into action or throw a tantrum. His maturity is an issue because he hasn't shown he can handle pressure and simply just acknowledge the team has been crap when whens boo.

He's been better defensively after JM, but this is a smaller stretch of games. He's been a defensive liability for most of his career and until he can show that he's grown out of the lazy backchecks for an extended period (yes, more than 60 games of JM).

If he can have even half of Stone's hustle on the back end and learn to play a PK shift or two, he has a long way to go before he's the player you think he is.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, fair enough. He's definitely a monster in those areas of the game.

I was a big doubter of his when he inked his deal, but man does he know how to win. He just wills himself to do it.

I'm not sure we can say that he knows how to win. He flat out hasn't done it yet. I don't think he's been given the support he needs to win so I wouldn't put that on him.
I’m calling it 500G 1200P. Book it.

I’m not diminishing Stone in any way, I love the player, but Brady is so under appreciated on here because Dorion can’t build a roster.

Careful with that or you might be suffering from derangement syndrome!

But honestly the bolded is the curious point. I think that next year we can see if Brady is a true winner. I think we'll have a competent coaching staff for the first time in 5 years and I think the roster just needs a tweak here and there. And obviously a save or two.

If we get a solid coach right out of the gate and we continue to founder, then I might start doubting Tkachuk's leadership. But as of now it's obvious that he cares and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in truly meaningful games.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He'll allow his brother to ragdoll us without even responding with a body check to him. Loses control of his emotions too much and doesn't know when to channel his passion into action or throw a tantrum. His maturity is an issue because he hasn't shown he can handle pressure and simply just acknowledge the team has been crap when whens boo.

He's been better defensively after JM, but this is a smaller stretch of games. He's been a defensive liability for most of his career and until he can show that he's grown out of the lazy backchecks for an extended period (yes, more than 60 games of JM).

If he can have even half of Stone's hustle on the back end and learn to play a PK shift or two, he has a long way to go before he's the player you think he is.
His defensive game is improving and needs to keep improving. Nothing strange about that as a player matures.

He has been less physical against his brother since Matthew left Calgary.

The comments about the booing were having his coaches back as there was constant chatter about firing DJ. That issue is solved.

The player I think he is, is a guy who continues to improve every year and works his ass off to address shortcomings in his game.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm not sure we can say that he knows how to win. He flat out hasn't done it yet. I don't think he's been given the support he needs to win so I wouldn't put that on him.

Careful with that or you might be suffering from derangement syndrome!

But honestly the bolded is the curious point. I think that next year we can see if Brady is a true winner. I think we'll have a competent coaching staff for the first time in 5 years and I think the roster just needs a tweak here and there. And obviously a save or two.

If we get a solid coach right out of the gate and we continue to founder, then I might start doubting Tkachuk's leadership. But as of now it's obvious that he cares and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in truly meaningful games.
Leadership needs to be more than just the Captain. If you have a team and think the Captain can be a sole leader you are never moving forward.

Reactions: aragorn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
His defensive game is improving and needs to keep improving. Nothing strange about that as a player matures.

He has been less physical against his brother since Matthew left Calgary.

The comments about the booing were having his coaches back as there was constant chatter about firing DJ. That issue is solved.

The player I think he is, is a guy who continues to improve every year and works his ass off to address shortcomings in his game.
I don't think we disagree in the bigger picture. I do think Tkachuk can improve, but recognize it might not happen. There's 4 seasons of DJ to unlearn and a player defending a coach when his team is dogshit doesn't scream accountability as much as hurt feelings. Heck, if someone like Spezza can become useful on the PK, than maybe Tkachuk will as well one day, but as of now he isn't there. That's why I'm chilling on proclaiming he might score 500g or whatnot.

I'll be the first to eat humble pie, but I'm not one to start counting my chickens before they hatch, especially for a stat like 1200 points, or comparing him to Stone who is a more complete player in every tangible way.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Leadership needs to be more than just the Captain. If you have a team and think the Captain can be a sole leader you are never moving forward.

Of course. I personally think the captain doesn't mean much. A strong group is what is needed. But Tkachuk has been tagged as one of those guys.

We can't judge his (or the team's leadership) when they've had a country club atmosphere handed down from the higher ups and been given fatally flawed rosters.

But at some point we can't call Brady or any of these guys winners unless they win.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I hope posters can realize that it's possible to cheer for our team, including our captain while critiquing them. Everyone on our team, including Tkachuk have so many ways to go before we become a playoff team

or comparing him to Stone who is a more complete player in every tangible way.
You seem to have a very biased negative viewpoint when it comes to Brady. His compete level is far greater than virtually all his teammates and few players will continually venture into the dirty areas as much as him. Why not critique other players to the same standard like Stutzle, Chabot or Norris or even a player like Giroux who has been a complete no show in the last 30 games with his 3 goals?
And compared to Stone he brings a much more physical game and is a better goal scorer. And Brady certainly seems to be much more durable than Stone who has repeated health issues.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
You seem to have a very biased negative viewpoint when it comes to Brady. His compete level is far greater than virtually all his teammates and few players will continually venture into the dirty areas as much as him. Why not critique other players to the same standard like Stutzle, Chabot or Norris or even a player like Giroux who has been a complete no show in the last 30 games with his 3 goals?
And compared to Stone he brings a much more physical game and is a better goal scorer. And Brady certainly seems to be much more durable than Stone who has repeated health issues.
I disagree with the competitio level, like how do you even measure that, because a player leads the team in a specific category? Severals player (except Kubalik and Chychrun) compete their ass off, but it's measured in different ways. Brady is always leading the team in shots and hits, but that doesn't equate to a high competitiv level. Parker Kelly leads all forwards the team in blocked shots, Joseph has the most steals, Giroux has the highest faceoff win %, does that mean each of them has the highest compete level? No, each players are going to excel at certain parts of the game, but the critique for Brady specifically arises at the defensive level, why isn't he the one blocking shots and getting the puck out of our own zone? He's not offensively gifted enough to carry this team (I don't think anyone other than Stu can ever be that). If his current trajectory under JM can continue and he keeps improving his D game, you'll have no complaints from me and I'll be the first to applaud him.

If you think I'm not critiquing other players, I don't know what to tell you. I want a major shake-up on the roster. I want Chabot and Norris gone. Stu is too talented to move just yet but I've called out him needing to get better given how lost he's looked this year, and Giroux is 36, not sure what you can expect from the team's only good vet.

And most importantly, none of those other players (aside from Stu), have been anointed as the cornerstones of this franchise. Tkachuk is supposed to be a unicorn power forward that will drag his team to battle. Well, it'd be nice to see him do that in our end of the ice and not complain about the team wanting change when they can't deliver.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Brady is the least of our problems. There is little to complain about in regards to our captain. I swear some of you complain just to 'hear' yourselves. Bunch of whiners.
Get them out of here. Not wanted in Ottawa. If you’re one of them and reading this….gtfo :)

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I don't think we disagree in the bigger picture. I do think Tkachuk can improve, but recognize it might not happen. There's 4 seasons of DJ to unlearn and a player defending a coach when his team is dogshit doesn't scream accountability as much as hurt feelings. Heck, if someone like Spezza can become useful on the PK, than maybe Tkachuk will as well one day, but as of now he isn't there. That's why I'm chilling on proclaiming he might score 500g or whatnot.

I'll be the first to eat humble pie, but I'm not one to start counting my chickens before they hatch, especially for a stat like 1200 points, or comparing him to Stone who is a more complete player in every tangible way.
I don't disagree that he needs to be more emotionally mature on the ice and work harder without the puck but to claim the above in bold is just ridiculous.

Please provide 1 example of a player throwing his current coach under the bus in an interview. I'll wait on pins and needles. Every hockey player in every league in the world is going to publicly back their team and coaches even if they privately believe otherwise.

To hold that against Brady as some kind of "gotcha" like no other captain is standing up for his coach is asinine.

Reactions: thinkwild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad