Value of: Brady Skjei

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Torey Krug’s contract is probably a good comparable - Skjei isn’t as productive offensively but he has size and the rising cap on his side. He seems like the kind of candidate for a possible overpay from an upcoming team looking to fast-track their top-four. Upwards of $7 mil is a possibility

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Skjei also has on his side that he's way better than Krug defensively. Krug gets weaker matchups and struggles. Skjei gets tough match-ups and does well.
True, but it’s hard to say how much GMs will separate Skjei from the system he plays in. Krug got better forward matchups in his last year on the Bruins according to hockeyviz, but Skjei plays behind Slavin on a team known for exceptional defense. Either way, I was just looking for a UFA contract comparable from the last few years.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
True, but it’s hard to say how much GMs will separate Skjei from the system he plays in. Krug got better forward matchups in his last year on the Bruins according to hockeyviz, but Skjei plays behind Slavin on a team known for exceptional defense. Either way, I was just looking for a UFA contract comparable from the last few years.
Skjei has become one of the reasons why the D is this good.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Skjei has become one of the reasons why the D is this good.
The Canes were very good analytically before Skjei joined the team. Adding Skjei did make them better, my point is just that it’s hard to say which side contributed more to either one. I’m not trying to say Skjei is bad by any means, I just think a rich long-term contract for a 30 y/o will almost invariably be an overpay.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
UFA is where the nonsensical occurs. Skjei brings goals and defense; some GM flush with money and sitting on cap space, especially with the cap going up, is going to try to fix their defense by backing up the Brinks truck.

If 6x$7.5M is the top of the sane range, I'm expecting $7.75M or $8M for 7 years. I fatalistically accepted he was gone as soon as Orlov was signed.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I said on the Canes board, nothing in Skjei's game suggests he will fall off a cliff, and a long contract wouldn't be much of a risk. But we have Nikishin in a year, so when he comes over, in a year or 2, Skjei becomes a 3rd LD on the team, which would still be a beast of a 3rd pairing partner.

I think its feasible for us if he takes a discount around 6.5m to stay here, but if he gets a full nmc/ntc, might be problematic when Nikishin gets his 2nd contract.

Reactions: DaveG and banks

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Devon Toews maybe? Similar age and contract status. Toews may be playing a bigger role on CO’s top pair, signed for $7.25 x 7. So for Skjei, maybe a little under 7 for similar term seems about right.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Anything under 12x8 for Carolina is a bargain

Skjei also has on his side that he's way better than Krug defensively. Krug gets weaker matchups and struggles. Skjei gets tough match-ups and does well.
With that body? Impossible not to matchup with me.

Dude now that he doesn’t play for the f*** york rangers and their cancerous coaching he’ll be just fine.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Canes were very good analytically before Skjei joined the team. Adding Skjei did make them better, my point is just that it’s hard to say which side contributed more to either one. I’m not trying to say Skjei is bad by any means, I just think a rich long-term contract for a 30 y/o will almost invariably be an overpay.
Anyone who has watched Skjei over the last 2.5 years knows how awesome he has been for Carolina. He came over from the Rangers and was completely lost. He had a ton of talent and skill but didn’t know how to play in a defensive system, being paired with Pesce and seeing Slavin work taught him that and now he is a key cog in the system. You can make the very strong argument that he’s the Canes 2nd best dman after Slavin and in some respects absolutely challenges Slavin for that no. 1 spot.

He is basically a horse on skates. Great speed for a D-man, good size and can lay people out, very strong shot, and can create chances in the offensive zone driving to the net. Plays elite PK minutes as well. Not a lot to dislike and only 29 so lots of good years left on him.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The Forsling and Toews comps are pretty good. I'd argue he isn't quite Devon Toews good, but he is very close.

The tough part about those comps is both players I feel took a significant discount in their contract. Brady Skjei has been pretty fairly compensated up to this point in his career. Does he want to chase the cup with the Canes or a contending team? If so, he's looking closer to $6M. If he signs with a team like Columbus next year, he might ask for $8M. I'd guess $6.5 x 7 if he goes 7 years term, and something like $7.5M x 5 if he goes 5 years.

It's easy to say his game is mature, but father time always wins. He'll be 30 in a couple of weeks. His game relies heavily on his elite skating, and it's unlikely that skating will look the same at age 35.

Reactions: Tryamw

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
because Skjei is considerably better defensively
Ehhh.... I dunno... maybe we need to pull up some fancy charts to compare but Forsling is a stud. Maybe Skjei is better defensively but I doubt it's by a landslide. Maybe I'm wrong though. It absolutely sucks that we lost him on waivers to the Panthers. Still only 27 as well.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Someone should pay Skjei. Be wary of Pesce. Someone is going to regret signing Pesce this offseason. It won't be Carolina. I think they'll do Skjei though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad