Value of: Braden Holtby

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I would be okay with trading Talbot+ 2nd/1st(if Holtby plays in 35 games and gets 18+ wins) for Holtby(1m retained)

Not sure why the Caps would want to move him and retain salary...unless there is a certain player they are after prior to the trade deadline who would be more valuable than an experienced cup winning goal tender.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The goal, and the SOG, goes to the last player of the scoring side that touched the puck.

And if they never did touch it?

Your team can win the face-off cleanly, and the puck can slide right into your own goal. The other team doesn't HAVE to touch it for it to be a goal against.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And if they never did touch it?

Your team can win the face-off cleanly, and the puck can slide right into your own goal. The other team doesn't HAVE to touch it for it to be a goal against.
That would be a good test....my guess would be the face-off opponent

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
That would be a good test....my guess would be the face-off opponent

No, but what I'm saying is that he never touched it.

This has happened before, where a Centre can win a face-off cleanly and score on his own net. No one on the other team is credited with anything but it is a goal against.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

This has happened before, where a Centre can win a face-off cleanly and score on his own net. No one on the other team is credited with anything but it is a goal against.

I hope you can find a specific example of a game and date, because everything I'm finding indicates the goal credit would go to the person on the scoring team who took the face-off in this exact situation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You're gonna have to overpay to acquire him. He's going through a rough stretch but he's still more of a safe bet than Samsonov at this point.

GMBM has already shown he's willing to let long time Capitals players walk when their contract is up and they price themselves out of Washington.

MacLellan has shown he is willing to do what makes sense with long time players. Trading your Vezina and Cup winning goalie with only a bone rookie to chase a cup with doesn't make any sense. Letting Holtby walk after the season is far more likely and makes far more sense.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

The player taking the dot gets the goal. That's happened before and that's how it's awarded.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The player taking the dot gets the goal. That's happened before and that's how it's awarded.

Show me somewhere it says that?

Because it doesn't actually say that anywhere in the NHL rule book. Only that...

A goal shall be scored if the puck is shot into the goal by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal but no assist shall be SECTION 10 – GAME FLOW NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE OFFICIAL RULES 2019-2020 121 awarded. A goal shall be scored if the puck is put into the goal in any other manner by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal and assists may be awarded.

If no one on the attacking side ever touched the puck, I don't think any goal or assist is credited to the attackers. At least, I see no evidence of it.

If you have some, by all means.......

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Not sure why the Caps would want to move him and retain salary...unless there is a certain player they are after prior to the trade deadline who would be more valuable than an experienced cup winning goal tender.

Well I'm not sure if Calgary could even do the trade with only 1m retention, we'll only have just a hair over 720K at the deadline for cap space so I put the retention in their for needed or the pick would go down I'd do Talbot + 3rd for Holtby but I don't think we could fit him in either way, the only reason I'd be willing to trade for him is cause he's from my Hometown so I have some love for the guy

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Every goal ever scored is recorded as a shot on goal

Eric Staal scored a goal 2 years ago that he didn't get a shot on goal for. In the game he had 1 shot on goal and 2 goals for a shooting percentage of 200%.

Boxscore: https://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400962394
Game Log, See Feb 2nd: Eric Staal

Automatic goal awarded when the puck was dumped down the ice, he was hooked chasing it. Went behind the net, not sure it should have been an awarded goal but alas it's in the books as 2 goals on 1 shot for the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: FameFlame069

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Seems like Holtby has holes too
Wonder if one of these might have something to do with the other? Perhaps both have an effect on each other? No, no screw it, it’s all Holtby. I guess the fact the Habs are perennial also-rans means Price has a few holes?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Show me somewhere it says that?

Because it doesn't actually say that anywhere in the NHL rule book. Only that...

A goal shall be scored if the puck is shot into the goal by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal but no assist shall be SECTION 10 – GAME FLOW NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE OFFICIAL RULES 2019-2020 121 awarded. A goal shall be scored if the puck is put into the goal in any other manner by a player of the defending side. The player of the attacking side who last touched the puck shall be credited with the goal and assists may be awarded.

If no one on the attacking side ever touched the puck, I don't think any goal or assist is credited to the attackers. At least, I see no evidence of it.

If you have some, by all means.......

In the first video, RNH looks to slightly touch the puck. In the second video, Berg doesn't touch the puck, gets credit for the goal.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Eric Staal scored a goal 2 years ago that he didn't get a shot on goal for. In the game he had 1 shot on goal and 2 goals for a shooting percentage of 200%.

Boxscore: https://www.espn.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=400962394
Game Log, See Feb 2nd: Eric Staal

Automatic goal awarded when the puck was dumped down the ice, he was hooked chasing it. Went behind the net, not sure it should have been an awarded goal but alas it's in the books as 2 goals on 1 shot for the game.
The shot counted as a shot on net for the Wild, but wasn't awarded to Staal. For the player it read as 2 goals, 1 shot. But if those were the only shots taken in the game it would have read as 2 goals 2 shots for the team.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The shot counted as a shot on net for the Wild, but wasn't awarded to Staal. For the player it read as 2 goals, 1 shot. But if those were the only shots taken in the game it would have read as 2 goals 2 shots for the team.

The espn boxscore has 35 shots that Subban the opposing goal faced. If you add up all the players shots it adds to 35 so either they gave that shot to someone else(which would be weird) or ESPN has the boxscore wrong(which wouldn't be weird).

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I mean...someone had to make it, right ?

Seems likely that the Caps might let him go.

Not sure if a TDL deal is possible or the Caps will keep him for the play offs (if they’re making it), but still wonder how much he’s going to be worth come UFA time and whether sign and trade deal is possible ?

About 10-15 posts below this is the same thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad