Player Discussion Braden Holtby Appreciation Thread

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't buy it. A 28 year old can move furniture all day and then play hockey that night. And twice to Sunday.

I highly doubt Halak asked to not play / called out too tired; as a tear comes to Neuvy's eye. I don't know anything about him but am willing to wager he wants to play. Tonight. Anxiety and everything else, he is ready to roll. I have never heard of a guy not ready or able to play, the day after the deadline.

The way the article is written, it sounds like coach's decision.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The way the article is written, it sounds like coach's decision.

Thanks, I agree, but the way I take that.... coaches, management, it's the same thing.

I have a feeling it is imperative to the org that Holtby not be the next goalie to ask for a trade. They had to get rid of Neuvy, and had to take on Halak to make it happen.

Halak moved twice in one week, wow, I hope he is ok. Although I kind of doubt he moved that fold out sofa up 3 flights of stairs with his buddy. Maybe though. I split a cord of firewood and made pancakes... things are tough all over.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well Holtby's flat-out said he was having trouble adjusting to sitting deeper and that his confidence was rattled. I wouldn't call a first-person admission circumstantial.

I also think this is the opposite of mental fragility. He's self-aware.

At some point though, maybe the coaches are just wrong about what he should be doing.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
People really seem to think changing muscle memory and personality is something really easy huh?

To me, what they're doing to Holtby is like taking a dominant fast ball pitcher, someone who can blow it by you at high 90's, and asking them to try toning it down and use your fielders vs. doing it yourself. Its unnatural and uncomfortable.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Holtby admitted he went back to "his style" several weeks ago, and he still is playing horribly.

Enough with the coaching ********. Kolzig sucks, yeah, everyone knows that... but so does Holtby this year.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Thanks, I agree, but the way I take that.... coaches, management, it's the same thing.

I have a feeling it is imperative to the org that Holtby not be the next goalie to ask for a trade. They had to get rid of Neuvy, and had to take on Halak to make it happen.

Halak moved twice in one week, wow, I hope he is ok. Although I kind of doubt he moved that fold out sofa up 3 flights of stairs with his buddy. Maybe though. I split a cord of firewood and made pancakes... things are tough all over.

So Penner's staying at your place? Are you the President?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Im sorry but if Holtby folds because of coaching adjustments its not ALL on the coach....how mentally tough is he then? He needs to stop the puck more...end of story

all goalies will likely have coaches trying to adjust their game....and all goalies will have to go through the ups/downs that come with the position. This is really the first real bump in his very short career and to me, he hasnt responded well.

I realize in this world of HF you either LOVE or HATE a player, very little in between for some. Thats not me..I like him but he seriously needs to pick it up
Agree here. Hunter messed with ovechkin. Oates messed with hi m next. Holy should be fine but still has growing up to do. I am still not convinced that neuvirth wont be the better of the two.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jim Carey won a Vezina...

If anything Holtby is the next Neuvirth. Who Caps fans seem to forget, won a playoff series. Maybe he's the next Varlamov. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

They've mismanaged their goaltending situation as badly as possible given three young netminders. No hyperbole.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Jim Carey won a Vezina...

If anything Holtby is the next Neuvirth. Who Caps fans seem to forget, won a playoff series. Maybe he's the next Varlamov. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

They've mismanaged their goaltending situation as badly as possible given three young netminders. No hyperbole.

bottom line.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Im sorry but if Holtby folds because of coaching adjustments its not ALL on the coach....how mentally tough is he then? He needs to stop the puck more...end of story

all goalies will likely have coaches trying to adjust their game....and all goalies will have to go through the ups/downs that come with the position. This is really the first real bump in his very short career and to me, he hasnt responded well.

I realize in this world of HF you either LOVE or HATE a player, very little in between for some. Thats not me..I like him but he seriously needs to pick it up
Agree here. Hunter messed with ovechkin. Oates messed with hi m next. Holy should be fine but still has growing up to do. I am still not convinced that neuvirth wont be the better of the two.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Lost his confidence, no way.

What he lost was proper coaching, support from his defensemen, and forwards. Coaching tried to change him to fit the "let them come in" open door system. Double U T F

The biggest problem I have with him is his supposed strength, puck handling.

If he were in a healthy environment ft. a vet backup, so he is not worried about a 3 headed goalie competition, I think he would be playing better.

The situation for our goalies is about THE worst they could possibly be this year. Seriously. We rolled with 3 young Gs at one point. Who else does this?
Yes, the coaching is the issue.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Lost his confidence, no way.

What he lost was proper coaching, support from his defensemen, and forwards. Coaching tried to change him to fit the "let them come in" open door system. Double U T F

The biggest problem I have with him is his supposed strength, puck handling.

If he were in a healthy environment ft. a vet backup, so he is not worried about a 3 headed goalie competition, I think he would be playing better.

The situation for our goalies is about THE worst they could possibly be this year. Seriously. We rolled with 3 young Gs at one point. Who else does this?

I don't think anyone but Laughlin says his strength is in puck handling.

Holtby admitted he went back to "his style" several weeks ago, and he still is playing horribly.

Source please?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think anyone but Laughlin says his strength is in puck handling.

Source please?

I'll say it: Holtby is above average in handling the puck for a goalie. He's a converted defenseman. A couple of bad bounces or gaffes here and there don't negate that. He's clearly very comfortable and usually accurate with his passes.

Regarding the Kolzig thing, just before the Olympics there was some kind of quote about Holtby and Kolzig having a conversation. I don't recall if it specifically stated Holtby was going back to his old methods or if we just assumed that's what he meant. So this was about a month ago.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I'll say it: Holtby is above average in handling the puck for a goalie. He's a converted defenseman. A couple of bad bounces or gaffes here and there don't negate that. He's clearly very comfortable and usually accurate with his passes.
I'm not saying he's bad at puck handling, I think he's probably slightly above league-averaged among starters but I've never heard anyone laud his puckhandling the way they do with Brodeur or anything. Before he started sucking I wouldn't have considered it a noteworthy "strength" to his game.

Regarding the Kolzig thing, just before the Olympics there was some kind of quote about Holtby and Kolzig having a conversation. I don't recall if it specifically stated Holtby was going back to his old methods or if we just assumed that's what he meant. So this was about a month ago.
Mmm, I never heard that one.

Liberati0n*

I'm not saying he's bad at puck handling, I think he's probably slightly above league-averaged among starters but I've never heard anyone laud his puckhandling the way they do with Brodeur or anything. Before he started sucking I wouldn't have considered it a noteworthy "strength" to his game.

You clearly haven't been paying attention at all then. That's like the number one thing every single person said about him as he was coming up.

Obviously his puck-handling skills and his decision-making in using them are two totally different things. The latter has improved but could still continue to. The skills are outstanding.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Mmm, I never heard that one.

Gone were the goals against on the rush, and we even went a decent run before the Olympic break.

About his PH, Holt himself said it is both a strength and weakness of his game.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Don't feel like getting into an argument about semantics so I'll just concede that Holtby is the Kovalev of goalies.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Holtby and Kolzig

“There’s been talk of it from the start of the year to try and change things. The last two games I’ve just played like what’s got me here. So Olie and I are really getting back to our basics and it’s working out,†said Holtby.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Holtby and Kolzig

“There’s been talk of it from the start of the year to try and change things. The last two games I’ve just played like what’s got me here. So Olie and I are really getting back to our basics and it’s working out,†said Holtby.

Thanks for digging up the link, I appreciate it. Though now I'm less confident in Holtby regaining his form under a different goalie coach...

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Not at all.

In that case, every goalie in the league has "puck handling skills". Anybody can stop a dump in when rimmed around the boards and chuck it back up the boards. Decision making is what makes you a good puck handler or not, and Holtby seems to be getting worse at it.

Liberati0n*

In that case, every goalie in the league has "puck handling skills". Anybody can stop a dump in when rimmed around the boards and chuck it back up the boards.

Yeah, that's not what puck-handling skills are...at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad