Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They played fine without Marner. Use that money elsewhere and they will still be fine, maybe better.
What would they have done with Marner money last year , got us Bertuzzi and Klinberg or Domi and Brodie. Easy to say we get another star for 10.5 but will we? And we won’t get a top Dman for a top winger, especially when the winger has 1 year left and is overpaid and most certainly be looking for a raise from somebody else.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Looking strictly at points is a terrible way to evaluate one’s playoff performances.

He piled on points in the first round last year in some blowout games.

Was non existent for at least 3 playoff seasons

What big plays/moments has he had in the postseason?

He’s just not cut out to play postseason hockey.

This was the basis for everyone thinking Bertuzzi would be good...

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That only works if the player accepts it and has a legitimate injury. Tavares is a rink rat and won’t go quietly into the night. Time for a clean break from the old guy.
Well if he really can’t skate, there is no problem

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What would they have done with Marner money last year , got us Bertuzzi and Klinberg or Domi and Brodie. Easy to say we get another star for 10.5 but will we? And we won’t get a top Dman for a top winger, especially when the winger has 1 year left and is overpaid and mos
Seems like a weak excuse....I dont know what we would have got if they decided to move on from Marner last year before his nmc kicked in but my guess is something pretty good, You assume we would get a lousy return. I mean how many early exits is it gonna take before you want a significant change?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don’t think skating too slow is considered an injury otherwise they would have put him on there already.
Ok, but I think he wouldn’t want to embarrass himself especially since he could get paid anyway.

Seems like a weak excuse....I dont know what we would have got if they decided to move on from Marner last year before his nmc kicked in but my guess is something pretty good, You assume we would get a lousy return. I mean how many early exits is it gonna take before you want a significant change?
I enjoy the regular season and yes I’d like to win a Cup as well but it’s not the end all be all with me. Thought you all knew that by now. lol!

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
They played fine without Marner. Use that money elsewhere and they will still be fine, maybe better.
I think the point is 'fine and maybe better' isn't enough.

Our collective assets are perhaps enough to land one good player. We need Marner to return a good player or two himself so we don't have to overpay and gamble in FA - that's a tough path.

Marners return will have a big affect on our future and it could be anywhere from nothing to full value.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I think the point is 'fine and maybe better' isn't enough.

Our collective assets are perhaps enough to land one good player. We need Marner to return a good player or two himself so we don't have to overpay and gamble in FA - that's a tough path.

Marners return will have a big affect on our future and it could be anywhere from nothing to full value.
fine and maybe better is still al lot more positive and realistic than what you were saying that we would be cooked if we traded Marner.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
How is next year a write-off? The job is on Treliving to find value elsewhere.

Florida had 6.5 million in dead cap last year and made it to the finals because they had value in other players.

It is Treliving's job to find that.

He's made it harder with the signings of Kampf/Reaves, but he has lots of cap to work with.
Lots of dead money or money that isn't commensurate to what a player is providing, plus many holes that need to be fixed with ~$20m to spend.

Of course it's his job to find value elsewhere, but the cap bubble doesn't open up until the year after, which is what I suspect they'll be looking at when evaluating what moves to make this summer - lots of short term moves, similar to the Domi / Bertuzzi one year hits.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How is next year a write-off? The job is on Treliving to find value elsewhere.

Florida had 6.5 million in dead cap last year and made it to the finals because they had value in other players.

It is Treliving's job to find that.

He's made it harder with the signings of Kampf/Reaves, but he has lots of cap to work with.
I considered last season a write-off and they still need 3 D , 1 G, 2/3 top 6 F….tough job.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner and Tavares’ contracts expire at the same time and neither will be offered another contract by the Leafs so we know where this is going.
Not getting any assets, other than cap space, in return for Marner would be horrific.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
They're not fantastical. It's what was rumoured, and as I showed, it makes a ton of sense.
There were no solid rumors other than what Marner's mouthpiece Derren Dreger was shouting from the rooftops. I find it hard to believe that there were multiple teams ready to offer sheet MM and yet we only know of 1 lukewarm negotiation with the CBJ's.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
JT will be crawling after year 2 of a new contract. Why bother ?
I always thought his feet would be the problem as he got older only to see his hands turn to stone at the same time. It's really amazing the drop off in his stick handling around the net.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What they need, teams don’t tend to give away.

They’ll look at FAs - they don’t need to overpay for old players, but I fear that’s what they’ll do.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Bertuzzi was at least effective at doing things. At the $5.5 mil, I would not want him back though
I wanted Dubas to go for Bennett and Bert in the past. He tried to get Bennett for sure, may have kicked tires on Bert. It illustrated that he at least understood what this team needed. Brad filled in the defense nicely keeping a driving team like Boston generally at bay.

I would talk to Berts camp and see if they can come to an agreement. Even a two year deal which would be another "show me" but this time with the beneift of playing more with Matthews and on the PP for a full season or two. Ditto for the contract with Domi.

If players like it here and believe they can succeed with the group, they know what riches lie ahead above and beyond the goal of winning a Cup. You win in Toronto, you will make bank, somewhere.

They are difficult to find and hopefully we have one blossoming in Knies, but if Leafs could get a Tom Wilson or two up front, it would be a great exchange for some of their big salaries.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wanted Dubas to go for Bennett and Bert in the past. He tried to get Bennett for sure, may have kicked tires on Bert. It illustrated that he at least understood what this team needed. Brad filled in the defense nicely keeping a driving team like Boston generally at bay.

I would talk to Berts camp and see if they can come to an agreement. Even a two year deal which would be another "show me" but this time with the beneift of playing more with Matthews and on the PP for a full season. Ditto for the contract with Domi.

If players like it here and believe they can succeed with the group, they know what riches lie ahead above and beyond the goal of winning a Cup. You win in Toronto, you will make bank, somewhere.

They are difficult to find and hopefully we have one blossoming in Knies, but if Leafs could get a Tom Wilson or two up front, it would be a great exchange for some of their big salaries.
He may have inquired but the dummy paid more for Foligno a day before Florida acquired Bennett. No wonder Bunkis said Dubas is body bagged in trades.

• 2021-Apr-11 Traded from Columbus Blue Jackets to San Jose Sharks for round 1 pick in the 2021 draft (Corson Ceulemans) and round 4 pick in the 2022 draft (Dennis Hildeby)
  • 2021-Apr-11 Traded from San Jose Sharks to Toronto Maple Leafs for round 4 pick in the 2021 draft (Ethan Cardwell)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lots of dead money or money that isn't commensurate to what a player is providing, plus many holes that need to be fixed with ~$20m to spend.

Of course it's his job to find value elsewhere, but the cap bubble doesn't open up until the year after, which is what I suspect they'll be looking at when evaluating what moves to make this summer - lots of short term moves, similar to the Domi / Bertuzzi one year hits.
I considered last season a write-off and they still need 3 D , 1 G, 2/3 top 6 F….tough job.

We spent ~15 million on Bertuzzi, Samsanov, Reaves, Kampf, and Klingberg.

They spent cap last year, just poorly.

He has a tough job, but he hasn't found value outside of Domi last year, he had a lot of misses.

However badly you think the team is assembled because of a past GM, the current GM is still not finding any value, and we need that.

There is another 20 million to spend this year, hopefully, it will be spent better.

Reactions: authentic

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
We spent ~15 million on Bertuzzi, Samsanov, Reaves, Kampf, and Klingberg.

They spent cap last year, just poorly.

He has a tough job, but he hasn't found value outside of Domi last year, he had a lot of misses.

However badly you think the team is assembled because of a past GM, the current GM is still not finding any value, and we need that.

There is another 20 million to spend this year, hopefully, it will be spent better.
You can't find value unless you have plenty of sweetners, Dubas tried, he really did. The team last year was primed, but the big guns didn't show up when it mattered.

You have five guys making such a big chunk of cash, they need to move a minimum of two of them. I'd be looking at keeping only Matthews and Nylander at this point. The team doesn't just need different player types, they need a different kind of swagger. For all that Reaves is viewed, he brings that swagger for peanuts and I thought there were stretches in the playoffs when their 4th line was the best line for the Leafs. That is impressive.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
You can't find value unless you have plenty of sweetners, Dubas tried, he really did. The team last year was primed, but the big guns didn't show up when it mattered.

You have five guys making such a big chunk of cash, they need to move a minimum of two of them. I'd be looking at keeping only Matthews and Nylander at this point. The team doesn't just need different player types, they need a different kind of swagger. For all that Reaves is viewed, he brings that swagger for peanuts and I thought there were stretches in the playoffs when their 4th line was the best line for the Leafs. That is impressive.
Foligno was the right guy at that time, too bad he got injured. They were up 3-1 in that series don't forget and they were running on all cylinders until those multiple OT losses.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It’s so hilarious to watch Dekes For Days try and defend lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass to the absolute grave. News for you buddy, Kyle Dumbass is the worst GM in NHL history and severely damaged this team with his incompetence, pathetic philosophy and lack of balls. Letting Sweet Lou go was the worst team this thing could have done with the most promising rebuild ever. Now Tre has to clean up the unmitigated disaster that Kyle Dumbass left behind. Dekes For Days, don’t even get me started on the countless mistakes lifetime loser and pathetic excuse of a GM Kyle Dumbass made to severely cripple this team. If I have to though, I will.
People keep responding to him, so it never stops. Just more and more and more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad