Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
It isn't like our PK was good (62%) and Edmundson led the charge there, Lub, Dewar, and Benoit all also had notable PK time.

Yes and it just magically became "good" the second Woll took over the net from Samsonov, going perfect in the final three games.

Unfortunately the ex-coach of the Leafs required overwhelming amounts of evidence to make obvious lineup changes, and it cost the Leafs once again in these playoffs.

Most saw Samsonov struggling in just the first game but he needed to wait until we were on the brink of elimination to give someone else a look.

Reactions: Cleetus and Buds17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He managed to build something similar for a lot cheaper, given the cap constraints left by the previous GM. And what the defense he built actually over-performed in the playoffs.

You're really trying here but it's just not sticking, sorry.

Similar? No.

Worse? Yes.

I don't think Vancouver's D is built well enough to win either, but ours was built much worse.

Yes and it just magically became "good" the second Woll took over the net from Samsonov, going perfect in the final three games.

Woll was amazing, our whole team became "good" when he got in the net.

Good goaltending covers up a lot of bad play.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Treliving's Work-in-Progress to continue to make the Leafs

Keefe - fired OUT

Next:
Brodie, Giordano, Timmins = OUT
Samsonov = OUT

Tavares (potentially) = OUT

New Coach, New Goalie, New Defense, New Cap Management addressing Core 4.

One has to be pleased with what we saw in the playoffs from Treliving's additions and vision that way he is moving this organization,

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Keefe - fired OUT

Next:
Samsonov = OUT

One has to be pleased with what we saw in the playoffs from Treliving's additions and vision that way he is moving this organization,
Why do you think Timmins will be out? Isn't he signed for another year to a pretty reasonable contract?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He managed to build something similar for a lot cheaper, given the cap constraints left by the previous GM.
He built the version from Wish, because that's all he left himself room for, because of his offseason choices.

Saying "similar for a lot cheaper" because he added a couple of lesser guys, not taking into account that the Vancouver guys bring the same physicality and defensive ability with much greater mobility and puck skills, is a cop out.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He built the version from Wish, because that's all he left himself room for, because of his offseason choices.

Saying "similar for a lot cheaper" because he added a couple of lesser guys, not taking into account that the Vancouver guys bring the same physicality and defensive ability with much greater mobility and puck skills, is a cop out.
Yeah and it's pretty incredible just how far that wish version got us. Wtf were you expecting them to do, pick up the slack for Tavares/Marner not producing jack shit too?

Wtf are you so fixated on Tre's defense for when there other extremely obvious issues that costed us the series?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Wtf are you so fixated on Tre's defense for when there other extremely obvious issues that costed us the series?
I'm discussing the moves the current GM did (or didn't make) in a thread evaluating their performance, another poster brought up a dman that we were in on but didn't acquire despite them being traded for a very reasonable price, who is bringing a physical 20 minutes a night with 4 goals/ 7 points in 9 playoff games. All things considered, could such a player helped us pull through a 7 game series that went to OT?

The core being injured/ laying an egg is a separate issue, one that Tre could not control. But to act as if the non-core team was the best possible version of itself and above criticism is wrong- and if you're going to stand up and say it was while making fun of Deke's blind devotion to Dubas I'm going to point out a mirror.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Is it fair to say that coming into this season Tavares was our number #2 C, Brodie was our #2 D and Samsonov was our #1 G ?

Is it fair to say that all three of these players had anywhere from disappointing to extremely disappointing regular seasons?

When you have a pretty top heavy roster, you can't always afford for your quality depth to have seasons below expectations.

I would say Treliving's first year has been average. Some good with some bad but it's very early and I wouldn't make any definitive conclusions until two to possibly three years in.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Unfortunately the ex-coach of the Leafs required overwhelming amounts of evidence to make obvious lineup changes, and it cost the Leafs once again in these playoffs.

Most saw Samsonov struggling in just the first game but he needed to wait until we were on the brink of elimination to give someone else a look.

A now fired Keefe goaltending decision, preferred a goalie with a 3.01 GAA and .896 sv% .. It took Keefe 3 losses by Samsonov before putting in a real goalie.

1715609018716.png

We still be playing if we had a smarter coach that didn't get outcoached by everyone all the time,

Reactions: LeafEgo

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm discussing the moves the current GM did (or didn't make) in a thread evaluating their performance, another poster brought up a dman that we were in on but didn't acquire despite them being traded for a very reasonable price, who is bringing a physical 20 minutes a night with 4 goals/ 7 points in 9 playoff games. All things considered, could such a player helped us pull through a 7 game series that went to OT?
Where exactly did I take any issue with you wanting Zadorov on the team? I wanted him too, and I was pushing for him at the time as well, and I was was annoyed when he didn't get him. Are you trying to argue I'm some blind Tre fanboy? Go through any of my posting history at the time (if you care to look).
The core being injured/ laying an egg is a separate issue, one that Tre could not control. But to act as if the non-core team was the best possible version of itself and above criticism is wrong- and if you're going to stand up and say it was while making fun of Deke's blind devotion to Dubas I'm going to point out a mirror.
Lol now it's obvious where you're going with this. Now all of a sudden it's a "seperate issue" :laugh:. And now all of a sudden I'm acting like the team was perfect outside the core when the only position I've taken is that the core underperofrmed and the cheap D acquisitions over performed, as blatantly evidenced from the result of the games and the entire series.

I'm curious to see what the other posters think. I'm sure I'm regarded as some mega Tre fanboy like Dekes is with Dubas :laugh:

Reactions: LeafSteel

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Keefe - fired OUT

Next:
Samsonov = OUT

Losing is pleasing to you? Being outplayed is pleasing? Having half your additions injured or in the pressbox is pleasing?

Weird things that bring you joy.

A now fired Keefe goaltending decision, preferred a goalie with a 3.01 GAA and .896 sv% .. It took Keefe 3 losses by Samsonov before putting in a real goalie.

View attachment 869835

We still be playing if we had a smarter coach that didn't get outcoached by everyone all the time,

The Treliving signed goalie played terribly, agreed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Why do you think Timmins will be out? Isn't he signed for another year to a pretty reasonable contract?
He might be around as depth, but he wasn't seen as a valuable part come playoff time so any Dman that watched from the pressbox in likely not a part of the future plan. IMO

BT likes big mean and mobile Dman like we saw from Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin, so I'm personally expecting more moves in this future direction.

Reactions: Kazparov

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He might be around as depth, but he wasn't seen as a valuable part come playoff time so any Dman that watched from the pressbox in likely not a part of the future plan. IMO

BT likes big mean and mobile Dman like we saw from Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin, so I'm personally expecting more moves in this future direction.

1 of those D you listed is mobile.

Does the pressbox only apply to D or are Dewar and Reaves now not part of the plans moving forward as well?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

View attachment 869835

They should have won the first round, but there was no urgency early in that series, however if they kept the same schedule as Boston/Florida, they likely would be finished by now.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If he brings in Cam Talbot I ain't watching a single game next year.

This would be among my top trade targets as NYI's used Varlamov as their starter in the playoffs.

1715611018389.png

1715611093810.png

Here is a wild thought .... Treliving convinces Tavares to waive his NMC so he can be dealt back to NYI his original team and he eventually gets retire an Islander and Leafs get Sorokin as part of that deal.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
1 of those D you listed is mobile.

Does the pressbox only apply to D or are Dewar and Reaves now not part of the plans moving forward as well?
Dewar and Reaves missed one and two playoff games respectively. Meanwhile, Conor Timmins has unfortunately yet to suit up for the playoffs in his two seasons with Toronto. We'll see what kind of ideas the incoming coach will have.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Google lol

Also View attachment 869844
I was on Over The Cap but I'm looking for specific information on what teams a player might have on their NTC LIST. Didn't see it there.

This would be among my top trade targets as NYI's used Varlamov as their starter in the playoffs.

View attachment 869842

View attachment 869843

Here is a wild thought .... Treliving convinces Tavares to waive his NMC so he can be dealt back to NYI his original team and he eventually gets retire an Islander and Leafs get Sorokin as part of that deal.
LOL. Hell will freeze over before that happens.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Tre wasn’t allowed to address the core five issue because Shanny shut that door right out of the gate. So he brought in some gamers and toughness to augment them. They ended up being the highest scoring team in the conference but as usual couldn’t score in the playoffs but were the more physical team in the series and were much tougher to play against. They won two low scoring games to come back in the series and then Woll gets hurt but their number one issue continues to be lack of scoring in the playoffs not goaltending. Of course they lost game seven because of of the lack of urgency of two of their core five and Sammy not being aggressive enough coming out to meet Pasternak. I like what Treliving has started and it now sounds like he’s been given the mandate to change the core of the group. I hope he explores trades for long time Leafs Tavares (6 yrs), Marner (8 yrs) and Rielly (11 yrs) because those moves would not only free up a lot of capital but change key pieces of the team that have been a big part of the losing. Bring in bigger, faster forwards and a couple of puck moving defenseman who play a hard physical playoff style. Bring in a veteran goalie who can at worst share the crease with Woll if he continues to get injured. Hopefully a new coach can instill a true team identity that suits the players strengths and institutes a style of play that wins in the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

View attachment 869842

View attachment 869843

And then you came back from adventure with Peter pan and tinkerbell and returned to reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad