Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Boosh alone scored 4x as many points as Dubas’ big-ticket Nick Foligno playoff acquisition did who cost a first round pick, I believe Edmundson did too? :laugh:

Whoops!!

“Dubas made bad trades so it’s ok if we keep making the same mistakes as long as they’re slightly less bad”
- guy who cares about winning

Check this out: what if we stop trading for mediocre stop gaps and spend the same assets and cap on good prime aged players like every other contender does? Wouldn’t that be crazy?

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
If I'm Treliving, it's quite simple. You focus rebuilding the team by focusing in on the core 6 players.

Knies I think is good enough. Domi is a good enough stop gap. Matthews and Nylander round out everything else. We're short a RW1 and a 2C. Big hunting is also on good defenceman that QB a PP. Desperately hope Cowan turns out to be a good 2C.

Goaltending and everything else can wait. We need the foundational pieces set. It's hard for me to ever really care about goaltending when we suck at scoring goals. Until we fix that, nothing matters.

We need a shooter for Matthews at RW1 given how Domi can play make for both guys. Ideally he's got speed and can create for himself. Matthews is a limited player, but the Leafs aren't doing him any favors with linemates.

Nylander and Knies showed really good chemistry. I want a fast skating shooting centre for Nylander. Just imagine the synergies, speed and IQ.

If we get reliable scoring from our top 2 lines. ACTUALLY reliable scoring including PP. THEN the other problems deserve attention. Seriously if we had 2 lines with a good powerplay, we'd win many more series regardless of goaltending or defenceman.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Boosh alone scored 4x as many points as Dubas’ big-ticket Nick Foligno playoff acquisition did who cost a first round pick, I believe Edmundson did too? :laugh:

Whoops!!
the big skoula post basically argued that Dubas bought into bringing in guys like Foligno over top/middle 6 offensive talent that's regularly been available and traded over the past few years.

Except for the fact it wasn't.

"We should have added Josh Manson", that was the thrilling conclusion to the post right?

He's property of the Colorado who are a contending team who paid a 2nd round pick and then promptly signed him for $4.5M x 4 years...so neither attainable in trade nor affordable for the Leafs cap-situation.

Please present a scenario where we acquire that player mid-way through his deal from a Stanley Cup contender (a real contender, not the make-believe ones like Dubas' teams either**)

Dubas could have paid that 2nd round pick and then signed him when he was a free-agent, but didn't right?

Instead he spent those picks on deadline players that he couldn't afford and had to watch leave at the end of the year.

You guys just simply aren't using any facts grounded in reality, it's basically a joke at this point.

Literally any complaint can be countered by something worse that Dubas did in the 5 years of his failure.

May as well complain that Treliving doesn't own the 1st overall pick in the draft, because it's about as non-sensical as complaining we didn't acquire Josh Manson from the Avalanche.
you're the worst, honestly

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Edmundson cost 3rd + 5th, Manson cost 2nd + prospect lol. Renting boosh + Edmundson for a single run cost more than it cost Colorado to get either one of Manson or Towes for several years lmao, holy shit have we been getting the shit end of the stick for the better part of a decade.
it was some masterful work by the godfather Lou, getting a couple picks for Toews, then re-signing Mayfield for 10 years

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can you imagine being a GM and thinking do ya know what I should do? I should let Zach Hyman walk for absolutely nothing at all.

Takes a special GM, with incredible foresight to arrive at that decision. Thankfully, our Lord and Saviour had that level of intelligence.
It wasn’t a matter of not wanting to sign him, he couldn’t sign him because he put them in cap hell.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
They may have brought in bits and pieces, but Tre was the first to commit to that style. He understood that you can just add a couple guys and change the dynamic.
He's not the first person in Leafs management to understand that.
He added Domi, Bertuzzi, Reaves, and Dewar up front.
Simmonds, Thornton, O'Reilly, Acciari, Lafferty, Clifford (twice), Bunting, etc...
He added Benoit, Edmundson, and Lyubushkin on the blueline. He also traded for and signed Cade Webber.
Brodie, Muzzin, Schenn, McCabe, Lyubushkin, etc...
Domi, Bertuzzi, Benoit, and Martin Jones were all good additions.
No one said they weren't, I said they were 50/50 and as you are about to confirm, they were.
He overpaid Kampf and Reaves a little bit, but nothing major. Both guys were still useful.
1) How did Kampf get here? 2) He legit didn't play in the two most important games of our season (and we played better without him).
Samsonov is tricky. He was an RFA, so letting him walk was pretty unlikely unless a clear better option is available.
It was a bad signing. He attached his wagon to the wrong horse and it showed.
Klingberg might have been useful while out powerplay floundered during the play-offs. Too bad he got hurt and we never got to see him.
How useful was he when he was here? Not at all. Then he was gone. Bad use of cap space. I'm fine with him making a mistake, but let's not try to pretend that a) it wasn't a terrible signing and b) that he was anywhere close to what we needed (or that he is particularly a hard nosed kind of player, that's kind of laughable).
He signed the two that should be kept. Marner and Tavares are the problems, so until he signs one of them, I'll believe he's making those changes.
He has literally extended everyone he has been allowed to, from players to coach (who finally got canned though the candidate pool is crap). Marner is likely going to be extended (and should) and Tavares will be off the books next year. So... the same thing that would happen regardless.
Extending the coach was a formality. Having a lame-duck coach is a horrible option, so it was either fire him or extend him.
Rod Brind'Amour and Carolina seem to be doing just fine with that situation.

Nothing's changed, it's just an older guy with glasses who talks about snot more often.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
We need a RW1 who can shoot and self create.

And also a 2C.

Ya really have to hope Cowan turns out to be something coz otherwise we're kinda boned. Coz we also need to target a D#1. I guess I'd like to move on Rielly to get some puck moving D who can shoot.

Domi and Knies are good enough top 6 LW.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Really? He signed him to a two year extensions in his first year lol.

The board or Shanny probably fired him.

I have no opinion on Tre yet, but please don't hire Sutter.
i think tre and shanny are lucky to be still employed .sounds like pelley is pissed

horner

May 22, 2007
One less round was won this year, good job Brad.

Sammy was re-signed by Treliving... this is always glossed over.

Woll was re-signed by Dubas just so you know.

If you want to just start assigning players drafted to each GM, then all the playoff failures are Lou's fault.

Treliving regressed the team, he made the team worse, unless, the results don't matter anymore?
The team didn't regress
The players did
Brodie
JT
Marner wasn't as good this yr
Sammy had a mental break down
GIO hit a wall

Once Domi Bert and Reeves got comfortable with the team they were really good

Reactions: All Mod Cons

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The team didn't regress
The players did
Brodie
JT
Marner wasn't as good this yr
Sammy had a mental break down
GIO hit a wall

Once Domi Bert and Reeves got comfortable with the team they were really good

Bert regressed by 60%.

Domi regressed (thought he played well though).

Reaves cost us some goals (I thought he was good for the most part).

Results matter.

Everything you said was true, except for the last sentence.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
i think tre and shanny are lucky to be still employed .sounds like pelley is pissed
We have zero indication or insight into what Pelley is thinking or feeling.

Even people closer to the situation have only said that he's spent a lot of time in the office, in meetings, and comes across as a very firm but very fair personality.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Carolina isnt doing fine at all. Unnecessarily they created a distraction during the playoffs. Top level stupid.
Ya, terrible season and really struggled with that first round matchup. Would've cleared that up if they extended him.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Really? He signed him to a two year extensions in his first year lol.

The board or Shanny probably fired him.
The extension is as irrelevant today as it was the day it was signed.

Even if Keefe is entitled to some form of severance (there's debate amongst people I talk to about whether any clauses or conditions could have been built into the extension relative to playoff success, and that being why Keefe was so bullish on Monday) - severance will only ever be a "concern" as long as Keefe remains unemployed. It already sounds like there's interest in his services, and he won't be unemployed for long, meaning severance won't really be an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad