Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Brad Marchand says the Leafs are "built differently" this year. I agree, I think that's Tre's doing and I give him props for that.

If all that results in another 1st round exit, it doesn’t matter. He needs to be willing to shake up the core. Obviously it’s mostly on them then, is it not?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I am just not impressed with Tre at all. He chose to ride same goaltending Dubas left him, and he doubled down on Keefe. Those are 2 major gaffes. Oh and a 3rd gaffe is re-signing Nylander that ugly contract. The other additions on the periphery are whatever to me if we end up flaming out in this round by Boston. Like what difference did they make if we lose this series? If he is just going to be doubling down, tripling down on the core and coach, well how is that better than Dubas?

You're right, ultimately if we lose it won't matter. I do think it's worth pointing out that the "playoff players" Treliving made a point of targeting and signing have been as advertised so far despite being down in the series. Sticking with Keefe is a major pisser and if he'd moved on from him last off-season when he should've our fortunes would be better right now. Goaltending is not up to snuff but it's not like there were that many options out there.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You're right, ultimately if we lose it won't matter. I do think it's worth pointing out that the "playoff players" Treliving made a point of targeting and signing have been as advertised so far despite being down in the series. Sticking with Keefe is a major pisser and if he'd moved on from him last off-season when he should've our fortunes would be better right now. Goaltending is not up to snuff but it's not like there were that many options out there.

True, lots of teams are struggling to find goaltending. Look at Fitz in NJ. It's an absolute struggle. I agree with you.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If all that results in another 1st round exit, it doesn’t matter. He needs to be willing to shake up the core. Obviously it’s mostly on them then, is it not?
He signed our two best players - overpaid a bit, but that was part of the mess from his predecessor. He had one month from the time he arrived until the NMC kicked in to trade Marner if he decided that was necessary (and not vetoed by Shanahan). Couldn't do anything with JT if he wanted to.

He may be willing, and even eager, to shake up the core, but he's pretty much handcuffed until next summer.

I think he's done a better job than his predecessor (I know, damning with faint praise), but I'll wait until after next summer to judge.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree that maybe his biggest mistake was keeping Keefe, but I don't know who else was available at the time, and it may have looked to him as a lesser problem. The good thing is that Keefe can be let go at any time with no Cap implications - just a bit of wasted cash.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
I think they placed a bit too much faith in the goaltending although the regular season collapse was not predictable. Keefe probably got a leg up from Shanny but given the time it took to resign him I think the final decision was Trelivings and I blame this extremely poor decision on the GM.. No pass for the available optuons. Carbury would have been a step up as an interim for sure

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
shoulda traded marner before his ntc/nmc kicked in

Timing is the real issue here.

Brad Treliving was hired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday May 31, 2023. As part of the agreement for the Leafs to be able to talk to Treliving before his contract expired on June 30th, 2023 was that he was not allowed to be an active participant in the Leafs draft on June 24th.

Marner's NMC contract clause would kick in July 1st, 2023, when his UFA status year kicked in.

With only 1 month on the job, and not allowed essentially trade Marner at the draft as part of his non-compete agreement there was very little time to make such a big trade.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
With only 1 month on the job, and not allowed essentially trade Marner at the draft as part of his non-compete agreement there was very little time to make such a big trade.
He was allowed to trade Marner at the draft. The restriction from Calgary was just that he couldn't be at the draft table in the 1st round.
Thankfully, not trading Marner was one of the few things Treliving got right.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Timing is the real issue here.

Brad Treliving was hired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday May 31, 2023. As part of the agreement for the Leafs to be able to talk to Treliving before his contract expired on June 30th, 2023 was that he was not allowed to be an active participant in the Leafs draft on June 24th.

Marner's NMC contract clause would kick in July 1st, 2023, when his UFA status year kicked in.

He could have traded him, but I think it was too big a move for him to make.

Kind of like keeping Keefe.

marner was not his responsiblity, and neither was Keefe.

I didn't like it, leaving himself an escaped goat so that he didn't have to take the projectile.

No GM would have traded Matthews nor marner, but perhaps he might have traded Nylander in a sign and trade.

Reactions: Warden of the North

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What he does with Marner over the next 14 months will define his legacy in Toronto.

IMO he must move him. The return needs to be decent, and he needs to make wise use of the cap space.

Would marner even give him that option?

I know there is risk on marner's part, but he's already made $52mm, so shouldn't need to earn another dime, but another $52mm is all but guaranteed if he signs an extension in any manner.

If he's #3 on the team, maybe he acquiesces?

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Brad blew it on Klingberg and Reeves.

Bertuzzi and Domi have been good after rough starts.

I like what he's done to the defensive core. He's been ridiculously handicapped due to the cap structure of the team. Getting those big lugs wasn't bad. I see a Skelton of a real defensive core. Big and tough. Guys who move players away from the net. At least its something.

I can't bash him. He was dealt a terrible hand by Kyle Dubas, who did overall a bad job.

- Matthews is a UFA in a year with all negotiation power, because Dubas botched the first contract. Matthews should have 4 years left a 11.6m, not 1.

- Nylander is a UFA, coming off a career year, with all negotiation power, because Dubas botched the first contact. Nylander should have 3 years left at 6.9m, not 1.

- Marner's on a deal he's never earned that Brad never signed. He could have traded him before the draft, but it sounds like Shanny was blocking that stuff.

- JT is on a deal where he's clearly overpaid, that Brad never signed.

They have barely any prospects and picks, because Dubas traded them all away.

I'm giving Brad another year, but with a new CEO and probably Shanny gone. I could see Brad being replaced given he's lame duck.

If he does remain, he can't keep Marner. The Tavares situation is going to figure itself out, when he takes a massive paycut on his next deal.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Brad blew it on Klingberg and Reeves.

Bertuzzi and Domi have been good after rough starts.

I like what he's done to the defensive core. He's been ridiculously handicapped due to the cap structure of the team. Getting those big lugs wasn't bad. I see a Skelton of a real defensive core. Big and tough. Guys who move players away from the net. At least its something.

I can't bash him. He was dealt a terrible hand by Kyle Dubas, who did overall a bad job.

- Matthews is a UFA in a year with all negotiation power, because Dubas botched the first contract. Matthews should have 4 years left a 11.6m, not 1.

- Nylander is a UFA, coming off a career year, with all negotiation power, because Dubas botched the first contact. Nylander should have 3 years left at 6.9m, not 1.

- Marner's on a deal he's never earned that Brad never signed. He could have traded him before the draft, but it sounds like Shanny was blocking that stuff.

They have barely any prospects and picks, because Dubas traded them all away.

I'm giving Brad another year, but with a new CEO and probably Shanny gone. I could see Brad being replaced given he's lame duck.

If he does remain, he can't keep Marner. The Tavares situation is going to figure itself out, when he takes a massive paycut on his next deal.

I agree with some, disagree with some.

I don't see Bertuzzi and Domi as wins, but okay. When did they really turn it around? Matthews.

Defense core doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything greater than previous defense core's.

The contracts ... I think Nylander got too much, unless he decides to step over some players in the room and exert himself into the leadership role if others are too timid to address the issues.

Looks like the Leafs have some nice prospects, just not ready yet, along with an unfortunate situation with a 1st. round pick.

Brad doesn't exactly come with a sparkling Resume. See Calgary.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Would marner even give him that option?

I know there is risk on marner's part, but he's already made $52mm, so shouldn't need to earn another dime, but another $52mm is all but guaranteed if he signs an extension in any manner.

If he's #3 on the team, maybe he acquiesces?

I don't think his ego would allow it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Brad would have done the same thing JT took close to a 2 million dollar pay cut to come to Toronto > SJ, Montreal, and other spots.

The deal was always going to look rough in the final 2 years. That's often how these FA signings work.

Reactions: ULF_55

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Tavares situation is going to figure itself out, when he takes a massive paycut on his next deal.
Why though?

When he becomes a UFA July 1st 2025, the Leafs are just one of 32 teams he could play for, and JT is one of dozens of centers the Leafs could try out. Why continue to stick with someone who's clearly not working out? He had his chance here. there is zero reason to be attached to JT at that point. Move on.

Reactions: OddyOh

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
What he does with Marner over the next 14 months will define his legacy in Toronto.

IMO he must move him. The return needs to be decent, and he needs to make wise use of the cap space.
Totally agree that Treliving's legacy, and heck, the fortune of the Maple Leafs franchise for the next 5 to 10 years, will be defined over the next 14 months.

Navigating the Marner situation, and figuring out what to do with the Tavares money coming off the books next summer, will be his two biggest things that he can't screw up. What he does with the goaltending situation this summer will also show what he's about.

Only downfall would be punting another year. But this isn't working, so a year to recalibrate may not be the worst thing in the world either.

Reactions: OddyOh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad