Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They’ll find a way.

I don't know that they need to keep both, I think they might only be able to keep 1 and It's probably Domi.

But they had Knies, Bobby Mac and Robertson come in and score 15 goals each, and Robertson and Bobby Mac didn't even play the full season.

Assuming that production is real and not a flash in the pan I think they can let 1 of Domi or Bertuzzi walk and be fine if not better.

The Leafs look to have a 2nd wave coming at least up front

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I don't know that they need to keep both, I think they might only be able to keep 1 and It's probably Domi.

But they had Knies, Bobby Mac and Robertson come in and score 15 goals each, and Robertson and Bobby Mac didn't even play the full season.

Assuming that production is real and not a flash in the pan I think they can let 1 of Domi or Bertuzzi walk and be fine if not better.

Add the possibility of Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin and another FA.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Can you imagine what we could've been starting way back in 2018? Imagine if we concentrated on building a proper team, that was suited for playoff hockey all the way back since the day after Washington eliminated us.

All those draft picks used as capital (multiple draft selections as well), cap space, free agent signings, alignment from president down to coach and scouts. The valuing of what Kadri, Hyman and Marchment among others brought to the organization. We could've been verging on a dynasty.

We took such a destructive wrong turn, it's hard to fathom. What Brad has managed to achieve with a pocket full of change is quite impressive to be honest.
One switch from Tavares to a guy like pieterangelo (I don't think he would have signed here, so the idea is more a player like him) could certainly have changed the team's fortunes. That said, I expect a good amount of success this playoffs, which will be followed by the chance to build on it even more in the next couple of seasons.

Reactions: hullsy47

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

'Need to' is a different matter and I agree they may not need to. I was just saying that if they 'choose to' they will find a way to make it work.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Record attendance this year, perhaps the cap rises a bit more than anticipated. Also Arizona leaving, wonder if that impacts projections?

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Record attendance this year, perhaps the cap rises a bit more than anticipated. Also Arizona leaving, wonder if that impacts projections?
I would guess since they operated as a severe loss it will help they are in Utah now. I think all teams picked up just under $7M from Utah for relocation fee not that it matters lol

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Brad Marchand says the Leafs are "built differently" this year. I agree, I think that's Tre's doing and I give him props for that.

Haha Marchand is also a master troll and these nice words about the Leafs make me think he's playing some mind game, hoping they will start to become overconfident.

Even though what he says is true.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Haha Marchand is also a master troll and these nice words about the Leafs make me think he's playing some mind game, hoping they will start to become overconfident.

Even though what he says is true.
Yeah could be, I have a feeling he's sincere though. In any case it's nice to hear that compared to hearing Ovechkin say we're easy to play against. Main thing is like you said though - it's true.

Reactions: weems

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Tre know's what you need to win in the playoffs so that's refreshing to have. He also know's we are lacking draft picks, so what does he do? Goes out and signs a whole bunch of college signings/prospects to stock the shelves, while also keeping our first-round pick. That might change come the draft, but he's been doing a good job so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Loving the element Domi, Bertuzzi and Reaves have brought to this team. They all started out poorly, but they've all been worth their money the last while. The fact that Domi and Bertuzzi have found their way with Matthews and given him an extra level to the way he plays have proven their value.

The most difficult thing for Treliving now over the next 14+ months will be how to continue navigating this team to achieve success while riding out Tavares's contract. You don't want to piss another prime year of Matthews, Marner and Nylander, but you also don't want the team expending assets to rid of Tavares's contract. I liken it to the Marleau ordeal now that we are about to hit the 7th and final year of Tavares's contract -- it's handcuffing the team, but they should just ride it out and get creative elsewhere, like they should have in Marleau's final year.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In Red = 2023-2024 worse than 2020-2023 average
In Green = 2023-2024 better than 2020-2023 average

All Strengths
Wins: 51 -> 54 -> 50 -> 46
Regulation/OT Wins: 50 -> 51 -> 49 -> 41
Regulation Wins: 42 -> 45 -> 42 -> 33
Goal differential: +57 -> +62 -> +57 -> +40
Expected Goal Differential: +62 -> +65 -> +44 -> +27

Goals For/60: 3.30 -> 3.77 -> 3.36 -> 3.58
Expected Goals For/60: 3.44 -> 3.55 -> 3.46 -> 3.49

Goals Against: 2.62 -> 3.04 -> 2.66 -> 3.13
Expected Goals Against/60: 2.68 -> 2.78 -> 2.94 -> 3.17

Goals Saved Above Expected/60: -0.9 -> -21.0 -> +24.1 -> +5.4

5v5
Goal differential: +56 -> +26 -> +41 -> +30
Expected Goal Differential: +27 -> +38 -> +30 -> +8

Goals For/60: 2.85 -> 3.05 -> 2.76 -> 2.93
Expected Goals For/60: 2.85 -> 2.98 -> 2.96 -> 2.71
Goals Against/60: 2.04 -> 2.67 -> 2.15 -> 2.49
Expected Goals Against/60: 2.28 -> 2.42 -> 2.51-> 2.60

Powerplay
Goals For/60: 7.10 -> 10.60 -> 9.48 -> 9.01
Expected Goals For/60: 7.87 -> 9.18 -> 9.26 -> 9.71

Penalty Kill
Goals Against/60: 7.55 -> 6.59 -> 6.13 -> 8.40
Expected Goals Against/60: 5.81 -> 5.98 -> 6.72-> 7.92

So overall, still a good team, but a notable downgrade from the past few years and most things got worse.

We saw a slight upgrade in offense relative to 2 of the past 3 years, driven largely by internal depth graduating. We struggled a bit generating offense at 5v5 compared to past years, but converted well, while we largely did the opposite on the PP - generated well but struggled to convert.

Goaltending saw a drop-off from last year, but still stayed in the positives overall, and was better than the 2 years before last.

Defense and PKing both took a fairly significant hit though.

Kind of a disappointing start by Treliving, but at least we aren't locked into any long-term disasters, and there is still winning potential in this group. We did finish the year better than we started the year, and we have some younger players soaking up experience. Hopefully we can get Nylander back healthy, and go on a run here in the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
'Need to' is a different matter and I agree they may not need to. I was just saying that if they 'choose to' they will find a way to make it work.

And that would be great but you need money for a goaltender because they only have 1 under contract so they need to bring at least 1 guy.

I don't think Woll is next years starter either, I don't think he played enough to do it, and if he was next years starter I think he'd be our playoff starter now.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I really think the move to make was to trade Marner last off season before his NMC kicked in. Now we're effectively handicapped, unless Shanny or Tre or both have a change of heart.

horner

May 22, 2007
I'll say this; I like the D corps better now then at any point during the last decade.

Edmundson and Benoit, relatively speaking, have

been excellent additions.
The problem that we have always had is. we are always going up against the top goaltenders in the league.
Bob
Vasi
Swayman
Price
Right now probably 3 of the top 5 goaltenders in the league

Halibuck Shesterkin and Anderson we can score on him

No other division has thus to go against

Average goaltending
Edmonton
LA
 Vegas
Dallas
Colorado

Calgary and Boston won't trade with us
Markstrom and Ullmark.

Another screw up bu Dubas when Ullmark wad available and didn't make a move for him. At that time he was playing for Buffalo.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The problem that we have always had is. we are always going up against the top goaltenders in the league.
Bob
Vasi
Swayman
Price
Right now probably 3 of the top 5 goaltenders in the league

Halibuck Shesterkin and Anderson we can score on him

No other division has thus to go against

Average goaltending
Edmonton
LA
 Vegas
Dallas
Colorado

Calgary and Boston won't trade with us
Markstrom and Ullmark.

Boston got Ullmark from Buffalo didn't they? Irratating.

Reactions: horner

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I'll say this; I like the D corps better now then at any point during the last decade.

Edmundson and Benoit, relatively speaking, have been excellent additions.
At the very least its a beta test to see how this team looks once the opposition intimidating the leafs out of the building is off the table. Its become obvious that Tre needs to continue along this path, upgrading towards players who have both grit & skill throughout the lineup.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So far, Domi has 3 points in 3 games, Bertuzzi has 2 in 3. Reaves and Dewar are giving us great 4th line minutes and each have as many assists as $10.9 million Marner. Edmundson and Benoit have had ups and downs this series but I’m not too displeased. Lybushkin has been fine I’ve thought, doing enough anyway to make me forget his poor regular season ending.

All in all his additions have done what they’ve needed to through three games. It’s the guys that have been here and have let us down previously that are the reason we’re down 1-2 in the series.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think we signed Mrazek

We let Hyman go
Signed Richie that year

Not a good yr for dubassss

Something, something about that it was up to him to fill around the margins after overpaying the core 4...talks as if he's a genius, lol...like shooting yourself in the foot and then having to put a bandaid on the wound.

Reactions: horner

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So far, Domi has 3 points in 3 games, Bertuzzi has 2 in 3. Reaves and Dewar are giving us great 4th line minutes and each have as many assists as $10.9 million Marner. Edmundson and Benoit have had ups and downs this series but I’m not too displeased. Lybushkin has been fine I’ve thought, doing enough anyway to make me forget his poor regular season ending.

All in all his additions have done what they’ve needed to through three games. It’s the guys that have been here and have let us down previously that are the reason we’re down 1-2 in the series.

I am just not impressed with Tre at all. He chose to ride same goaltending Dubas left him, and he doubled down on Keefe. Those are 2 major gaffes. Oh and a 3rd gaffe is re-signing Nylander that ugly contract. The other additions on the periphery are whatever to me if we end up flaming out in this round by Boston. Like what difference did they make if we lose this series? If he is just going to be doubling down, tripling down on the core and coach, well how is that better than Dubas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad