Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We traded for him Apr 11 2021
Taken from capfriendly
April 10 2021
Upper body injury day to day
Even if one were to believe that it was an actual "injury" (that magically appeared after a game he played the entirety of, that nothing happened in) and not the usual trade-related sitting for a high-value rental before the deadline, it would still be irrelevant, because he had multiple weeks to heal from this supposed "day to day" injury while in mandatory quarantine anyway. We know he was healthy for his first game with us on April 22nd, and we know that the injury that actually impacted his effectiveness while here happened on May 3rd and was brand new and had absolutely nothing to do with any bumps and bruises he may have had prior.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Even if one were to believe that it was an actual "injury" (that magically appeared after a game he played the entirety of, that nothing happened in) and not the usual trade-related sitting for a high-value rental before the deadline, it would still be irrelevant, because he had multiple weeks to heal from this supposed "day to day" injury while in mandatory quarantine anyway. We know he was healthy for his first game with us on April 22nd, and we know that the injury that actually impacted his effectiveness while here happened on May 3rd and was brand new and had absolutely nothing to do with any bumps and bruises he may have had prior.

It was widely publicized and very well known that Foligno hurt his back BEFORE Kyle Dumbass got ripped off trading for him.

Just one of the many brutal mistakes by Dumbass.

IMG_1172.jpeg
IMG_1171.jpeg

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It was widely publicized and very well known that Foligno hurt his back BEFORE Kyle Dumbass got ripped off trading for him.
That is 100% false. There was no back injury reported. He got sat for the one game before the deadline after nothing happened, and Foligno explicitly confirmed that the debilitating injury he experienced with us was brand new and nothing he'd ever gone through before. I don't know where you got that injury report, but aside from showing that he was healthy when he joined us, it's wrong right off the bat. Foligno didn't "miss six straight games with an upper body injury". He was sat for the one game before the deadline to protect his trade return, and the only reasn he missed more after the trade was because he went into the mandatory Covid quarantine.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I've liked both the McMann and Benoit deals.

I posted this in another thread but I would look to re sign Domi to around 4m x 3 yrs and I don't think Bert will be worth the next contract he will be looking for. I would rather allocate his cap plus the space we will have from our other expiring players to building the defense. There is a decent number of good D men that will be available in FA this summer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That is 100% false. There was no back injury reported. He got sat for the one game before the deadline after nothing happened, and Foligno explicitly confirmed that the debilitating injury he experienced with us was brand new and nothing he'd ever gone through before. I don't know where you got that injury report, but aside from showing that he was healthy when he joined us, it's wrong right off the bat. Foligno didn't "miss six straight games with an upper body injury". He was sat for the one game before the deadline to protect his trade return, and the only reasn he missed more after the trade was because he went into the mandatory Covid quarantine.

1711727489943.png

1711727551639.png

Can you move off this point already, it's been proven a few times that we traded for an injured Nick Foligno already.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Looks like he's going to achieve the same results as Kyle, without being a complete twat who lacks integrity. So that's a bonus.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Looks like he's going to achieve the same results as Kyle, without being a complete twat who lacks integrity. So that's a bonus.

Yes, no congratulations have been earned.

Leafs are having a worse year, but the playoffs are his opportunity to indicate if he's moved the team forward, or as I suggested in another thread, this is his gap year where nothing matters.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Exactly.

Physical play is ALWAYS what wins in the playoffs. This is the NHL - - not women’s hockey.

Only a clueless gimp like Kyle Dumbass would consider body checks to be irrelevant and focus on some worthless stat like “expected high danger chances”.

What a difference it makes to have a professional GM like Treliving instead of a useless intern from Brock University.
Not a fan of either side, but isn’t another possibility - both are important.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He's terrible. But at least he's got some unskilled crap to hit for you guys.
Bit of a strange take. Most of his moves have been solid, the only one that was truly a bust was Klingberg and even then it was a one year deal that got buried on LTIR anyways.

When Shanahan wasn't going to let him move any of the core guys, there's not much he can really do.

Reactions: Ports

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Any “expected” stat is irrelevant - - it either happened or it didn’t happen. There’s no such thing as “should have happened” or “really expected it to happen” when it comes to statistical analysis.
It sounds like you just don't understand the point of these advanced stats. I'm not even one to post advanced stats but I at least have somewhat an understanding as to why they're used and think it's ignorant to just downright dismiss them.

They are just extra tools to help evaluate players and can even help make a decision between 2 similar players as to who might have more benefits.

When talking about expected stats when it comes to goalies for example. If they show that a particular goalie on a bad team is making saves from high danger spots that a goalie who plays on a good team isnt, it is extra information that teams can use to evaluate when deciding who they might go with in UFA in addition to just going by sv%, as well as using the eye test. They might help show that the goalie who has a higher sv% on a good team might just have his sv% inflated by being behind better players and structure. Like Jonathan Quick for example. Had an .876sv% on LA and then goes to a better team in Vegas and puts up a .901sv%. His numbers were propped up by a better team but he was still the same goalie.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Saw this on twitter and found it absolutely hilarious and satisfying

Ryan Reaves has passed Denis Malgin on the Leafs all time points scoring list.

Ryan Reaves: 3 goals, 2 assists
Denis Malgin: 2 goals, 2 assists

This really sums up how hopelessly incompetent Kyle Dumbass truly is.

Almost as brutal as letting Zach Hyman leave fir $5.5M because Dumbass wanted to give Pete Mrazek $3.8M and Nick Ritchie $2.5M.

Dumbass is the worst GM in NHL history.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
This really sums up how hopelessly incompetent Kyle Dumbass truly is.

Almost as brutal as letting Zach Hyman leave fir $5.5M because Dumbass wanted to give Pete Mrazek $3.8M and Nick Ritchie $2.5M.

Dumbass is the worst GM in NHL history.

Yeah. Shanahan needs to answer why we had a Doofus GM who wanted 5'9 players and why we got bullied for 4 years before he decided to go a 180 and get Schenn, RoR and tougher players.

We gave our rebuild with core 4 to a GM on training wheels.

Shanahan, if we dont win a cup...Your ass better be run outta town and be grilled by reporters on how Kyle Soyboy Dumass got the job.

:rolleyes:
He would've let Mcmann and Benoit leave for some randoms who can skate circles

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It sounds like you just don't understand the point of these advanced stats. I'm not even one to post advanced stats but I at least have somewhat an understanding as to why they're used and think it's ignorant to just downright dismiss them.

They are just extra tools to help evaluate players and can even help make a decision between 2 similar players as to who might have more benefits.

When talking about expected stats when it comes to goalies for example. If they show that a particular goalie on a bad team is making saves from high danger spots that a goalie who plays on a good team isnt, it is extra information that teams can use to evaluate when deciding who they might go with in UFA in addition to just going by sv%, as well as using the eye test. They might help show that the goalie who has a higher sv% on a good team might just have his sv% inflated by being behind better players and structure. Like Jonathan Quick for example. Had an .876sv% on LA and then goes to a better team in Vegas and puts up a .901sv%. His numbers were propped up by a better team but he was still the same goalie.

I grew up watching the games before “advance stats” were needed to explain what was happening on the ice. Just like I never needed the blue vapour trail on television to know where the puck was.

If Team A is running Team B out of the building, I’ve never needed to compare the “expected high danger” stats to know which team was dominating the game.

How many more “extra tools” do you really need to understand that a guy like Justin Holl is a terrible hockey player? Just watch the games and see him getting turned inside out or having guys blow right past him and you should realize how trash Holl is.

Reactions: Lemontree and Ports

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

They can't though. That's the actual problem with them. They try to tell people that Benoit and Edmundson aren't NHL defenders, yet Timmins and Holl are, and Gardiner and Franson are incredible.

Yet if you are able to understand the slightest modicum about sport, you can see that it is blatantly false.

Then, because you are able to understand the slightest modicum about sport, you get told your eyes and brain is biased, and you simply have it in for Timmins, Holl, Gardiner, Franson, people who wear glasses, people who wear cardigans, and people who are 5 months younger than you.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
View attachment 843129

View attachment 843130

Can you move off this point already, it's been proven a few times that we traded for an injured Nick Foligno already.
Look who you are responding to. The answer to your question lies there….

Never forget that Hyman was allowed to walk in part because it was crucial to our long term success to keep finding ways to keep Kerfloof on the roster…..

Loving Reaves out scoring Malgin and know for sure Benoit would have never been brought in by the other guy, let alone extended to an excellent term and value like Treliving has.

To be honest, really looking forward to see what Treliving does this UFA, starting with reshaping the D corps.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They can't though. That's the actual problem with them. They try to tell people that Benoit and Edmundson aren't NHL defenders, yet Timmins and Holl are, and Gardiner and Franson are incredible.

Yet if you are able to understand the slightest modicum about sport, you can see that it is blatantly false.

Then, because you are able to understand the slightest modicum about sport, you get told your eyes and brain is biased, and you simply have it in for Timmins, Holl, Gardiner, Franson, people who wear glasses, people who wear cardigans, and people who are 5 months younger than you.

Without putting too fine a point on it, analytics has its limitations when it comes to describing certain player types.

Joel Edmundson is a good example of this. I want him in a defensive situation, when the other team is trying to generate offense in order to generate stops and mitigate against further damage. I’d expect him to have a way worse ratio of scoring chances against vs scoring chances for, but I also don’t have expectations of him on the blueline pounding the puck on net or being the blueliner when the team is trying to generate offense.

I also don’t necessarily need analytics to tell me a superstar player is a superstar player. But I may want to check whether Evan Rodrigues or Alex Kerfoot is better bang for the buck.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The only move I would have done differently is give Klingberg's money to Schenn. I've been banging that drum all year, and Klingberg being off the books mitigates a lot of the negative impact. I'd be a lot more confident in our blue line though with the Human Eraser on patrol going into the post season

Besides that relatively minor gripe, and who knows if Schenn would have signed anyway, I think he's done a pretty good job so far. Didn't overplay his hand at the TDL and seems to have a pretty clear vision for the team - at least on D.

Reactions: Ports

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Again, I'm not one to put full stock into advanced stats and don't think they are the be all, end all.

I highly doubt GMs will only look at the stat sheet and think someone like Gardiner is incredible. They can see watching the games that he was prone to brain farts but also see that he was really good at possessing the puck the majority of the time and then the advanced stats would back that up.

My point is that if you're evaluating 2 equivalent players, they might defer to the one who shows a tendency to keep the play going longer or when it comes to goalies, they might go with the one who comes up with a save in high danger areas over one that doesn't as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad