Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I am just not impressed with Tre at all. He chose to ride same goaltending Dubas left him, and he doubled down on Keefe. Those are 2 major gaffes. Oh and a 3rd gaffe is re-signing Nylander that ugly contract. The other additions on the periphery are whatever to me if we end up flaming out in this round by Boston. Like what difference did they make if we lose this series? If he is just going to be doubling down, tripling down on the core and coach, well how is that better than Dubas?

You're right, ultimately if we lose it won't matter. I do think it's worth pointing out that the "playoff players" Treliving made a point of targeting and signing have been as advertised so far despite being down in the series. Sticking with Keefe is a major pisser and if he'd moved on from him last off-season when he should've our fortunes would be better right now. Goaltending is not up to snuff but it's not like there were that many options out there.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You're right, ultimately if we lose it won't matter. I do think it's worth pointing out that the "playoff players" Treliving made a point of targeting and signing have been as advertised so far despite being down in the series. Sticking with Keefe is a major pisser and if he'd moved on from him last off-season when he should've our fortunes would be better right now. Goaltending is not up to snuff but it's not like there were that many options out there.

True, lots of teams are struggling to find goaltending. Look at Fitz in NJ. It's an absolute struggle. I agree with you.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If all that results in another 1st round exit, it doesn’t matter. He needs to be willing to shake up the core. Obviously it’s mostly on them then, is it not?
He signed our two best players - overpaid a bit, but that was part of the mess from his predecessor. He had one month from the time he arrived until the NMC kicked in to trade Marner if he decided that was necessary (and not vetoed by Shanahan). Couldn't do anything with JT if he wanted to.

He may be willing, and even eager, to shake up the core, but he's pretty much handcuffed until next summer.

I think he's done a better job than his predecessor (I know, damning with faint praise), but I'll wait until after next summer to judge.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree that maybe his biggest mistake was keeping Keefe, but I don't know who else was available at the time, and it may have looked to him as a lesser problem. The good thing is that Keefe can be let go at any time with no Cap implications - just a bit of wasted cash.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3