OT: Brad Stuart

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Stuart was horrible last year, especially in the playoffs where he was probably the worst defender on the team.

Ericsson may not be able to replace Stuart's physicality, but when it comes to both of their impacts on the game (however they happen to make that impact) their isn't much of a difference at this point.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Kjf we still had Stuart we probably wouldn't have DD. He had a very hot start this season, like most the Sharks, but not sure if he's kept it up.

If we still had Stuart, we wouldn't have Quincey or lost a 1st round pick.

But Stuart was on the decline and was our worst defenseman in the playoffs last season IMO.

I still rather have him over Quincey though. The defensive pairings sarcastro has aren't half bad. But you can't put that on Holland. He knew Stuart was leaving. Unfortunately Quincey wasn't the answer. Although, I think DD makes Quincey expendable.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Just be glad that for once we had a player for the good times, and got rid of him in time for the bad times.

That we went out to get Quincey and Cola instead, is another matter.

RedWingsNow*

Stuart hating continue... all because one time, Mike Babcock said he was our best defenseman while St. Nick was on the roster...

Hahaha...

How dare anyone besmirch the 'perfect human,' which is the lamest nickname in the history of sports

crashman

Stuart hating continue... all because one time, Mike Babcock said he was our best defenseman while St. Nick was on the roster...

Hahaha...

How dare anyone besmirch the 'perfect human,' which is the lamest nickname in the history of sports

Stuart was one of my favorite players on this team when he was here, but that's just Babcock being Babcock and it's a ridiculous thing to say. He's also been touting Abdelkader as some do-it-all player this season, which is a bunch of bull. BTW, I also like Abdelkader when he's being played in a role that suits him.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
While we certainly do not need another Holland bash-thread, isn't it safe to assume that the Red Wings would have tried to extend Stuart's contract last summer, if Stuart were willing to stay with Detroit? So no Red Wings fan should ever gloat about any questionable performances by Stuart - especially not against the main contenders for the last playoff spot.

Gruß,
BSHH

lilja4mvp*

Hahaha...

yeah..that's why we're hating on him.

you nailed it, champ. good call!

HTT3*

yeah..that's why we're hating on him.

you nailed it, champ. good call!

I don't think anyone is "hating" on Stuart, people are just discussing how he's been on the decline the past 1.5 to 2 years. He wanted to go to SJS because his wife and step kids are there. He put is family first, which is admirable. I am not upset with him at all. CaptainBob is just being CaptainBob, I learned a long time ago not to read too much into his posts.

But I am MORE happy Holland landed Dan Dekeyser, he seems like he's going to be a good one. As for replacing Stuart, I thought that was Ericsson's job, and Quincy or CC's job was to replace Ericsson. Remember, E wasn't amazing last year. His last year production/defense should be easy to replace. As for replacing Lidstrom, Holland was hoping to land Suter to 'help' the loss of Lidstrom, but Lidstrom is irreplaceable. And Holland almost landed Suter had not Parise been a little *****. At the end of the day, there was nobody to replace Lidstrom, so Holland went with "plan B", defense by committee. Not what he primarily wanted, but it's all he could do under the circumstances.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I haven't really followed this thread because I knew I'd have a hard time not pointing out when a Swedish defender was insulted in order to defend the honor or poor Brad Stuart.

Damn, I think I just pointed it out. Ah well, such is my burden.

Seriously though, Stuart would help our blueline but he was headed to California or bust. Simple as that.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I miss Stuart. I didn't think he was that bad last year. I do remember him being horribly unlucky. He cost the Wings quite a few games by just existing.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I was/am a big Stuart fan. I would also be the first to admit he had a bad playoff series last year. And he made a terrible turnover yesterday.

I remember a bad pass Gretzsky made one time too. And even Lidstrom got beat a few times.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was/am a big Stuart fan. I would also be the first to admit he had a bad playoff series last year. And he made a terrible turnover yesterday.

I remember a bad pass Gretzsky made one time too. And even Lidstrom got beat a few times.

Stuart does that every game. Big physical stay at home D-man deteriorate at an alarming rate, once it starts happening it is unfortunate but you need to take note. Stuart tries hard, but he is not the same player from a couple years ago.

Mistakes will happen that is a part of hockey, but his have become far more frequent to the point it cannot be ignored that he has fallen off a significant amount. Watching him and Hannan play last night I couldn't help but think 5 years ago this is the perfect shutdown pairing, today oh boy on both guys.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Put any feelings for Stuart aside, Holland himself has admitted that Quincey was acquired to be his "replacement" that could log 20+ minutes a night. Stuart was clearly on the decline but he is still heads and shoulders above KFQ. This massive blunder by Kenny is what put our D behind the 8-ball to start the year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Put any feelings for Stuart aside, Holland himself has admitted that Quincey was acquired to be his "replacement" that could log 20+ minutes a night. Stuart was clearly on the decline but he is still heads and shoulders above KFQ. This massive blunder by Kenny is what put our D behind the 8-ball to start the year.

Honest question: who do you think we should have brought in to replace Stuart?

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone

Yep. He overestimated Quincey -- good reason or not -- and the trade for Q looks comically bad.

RedWingsNow*

Stuart does that every game. Big physical stay at home D-man deteriorate at an alarming rate, once it starts happening it is unfortunate but you need to take note. Stuart tries hard, but he is not the same player from a couple years ago.

Mistakes will happen that is a part of hockey, but his have become far more frequent to the point it cannot be ignored that he has fallen off a significant amount. Watching him and Hannan play last night I couldn't help but think 5 years ago this is the perfect shutdown pairing, today oh boy on both guys.

Stuart's demise is so overstated.
He lost some footspeed. But he still skates well.
Hannan never skated well

At least Stuart didn't mail it in like Lidstrom last year, who obviously checked out midway through the year:)

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Stuart's demise is so overstated.
He lost some footspeed. But he still skates well.
Hannan never skated well

At least Stuart didn't mail it in like Lidstrom last year, who obviously checked out midway through the year:)

You really think Lidstrom mailed in the last 30 games of his career?

I agree he wasn't great, but he had a pretty good excuse. Being 41 and injured tends to slow you down.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Thank you for proving my original point about Stuart haters and Lidstrom worshippers.

Just as I expected you would

I don't hate Stuart, newsy. In fact, he was one of my favorites.

But he mailed it in the 2nd half of last year, Bob.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Stuart was very good and important to the team the large majority of the time in Detroit. There's nothing wrong with admitting he wasn't very good last season though.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
I don't think he has. Players who play as physical as Stuart does, without taking penalties, are rare. Ericsson, for example, 12 minor penalties in 41 games last year. Stuart had 12 in 82. Those 12 minor penalties are probably 2-3 extra goals over the course of the year.

Detroit's PK this year and last year is about 81%. That means that 12 minors would be 2.28 goals. Since Ericsson is key to the unit, say we reduce the effectiveness of the unit from 81% a very harsh amount to 75% (worse than any team in the league in 11-12; Columbus last with 76.6%. Better than only Florida's 73.1% this season.) That increases it to 3 goals.

This is assuming no coincidental minors. A lot of the penalties Ericsson takes are coincidental penalties; in other words, no PK situation. Let's say 4 of the 14 are coincidentals, and the PK rate was reduced more reasonably - to something like 78%. That is 1.76 goals. Could be lower if Ericsson has a higher rate of coincidental minors; which isn't unlikely - I tried to aim low. He passes the 1.5 mark with that 78% PK if it gets to 6 coincidentals out of 12 penalties.

Stuart has been bad for much longer than just that playoff series.

He came to the Wings. He was a good top-four physical defensive defenseman. He played well. He did well the next season also. 09-10 is when he started to play poorly. Not as bad then as last year, but there was a significant drop. I'm sure Heaton remembers how badly I wanted to trade Stuart even back then.

San Jose traded for the rights to a third-pairing level defenseman and paid him top-four money. He was happy to start the year and looked good, but his lack of ability won the day.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
i was just lurking and noticed this thread.

from my perspect, we are so much maligned with stuarts level of play, except that he gets the worst pairings of all our D.

when he has a partner that can move the puck out of the d zone and that pressure is off stuart hes a force out there, and i for one love having him. hes rarely made mistakes that cost goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad