OT: Brad Stuart

HTT3*

Reading Sharks forum, don't think they are too happy with Brad Stuart. I remember last year you could tell he was on the decline. Sure glad we got Dan DeKeyser!

Also, CBJs are up 2-0 right now and I think Stuart was on the ice for both goals... not sure, not watching the game.

Aug 6, 2012
Kjf we still had Stuart we probably wouldn't have DD. He had a very hot start this season, like most the Sharks, but not sure if he's kept it up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well he was basically completely to blame for the second. A terrible turnover, then he doesn't fan out to cover allowing a breakaway pass right by him.

He has not been very good since about the ten game mark. My brother lives in the San Fran area and gets tickets occasionally, kind of too far to be a STH. But he says he is every bit as bad as he was last year, seems to be a little more physical with the Sharks though according to him. Thinks it is playing with an overall physical team there, but still lost a step and still not that great with the puck anymore.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Very few physical defenseman are good for a long period of time. Not only does it take a toll on your body, but its hard work. The simple fact of having to get yourself up to play such a thankless style of hockey seems humanly impossible for most. And I don't blame them.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Reading Sharks forum, don't think they are too happy with Brad Stuart. I remember last year you could tell he was on the decline. Sure glad we got Dan DeKeyser!

Also, CBJs are up 2-0 right now and I think Stuart was on the ice for both goals... not sure, not watching the game.

He was on everyone's radar last year, right, and we knew the Wings would get him.

Come on, HTT3.

RedWingsNow*

Dekeyser plays a soft game. He's not a Stuart replacement.

HTT3*

He was on everyone's radar last year, right, and we knew the Wings would get him.

Come on, HTT3.

I have to admit, I didn't even know who Danny DeKeyser was last year. He came out of nowhere for me.

lilja4mvp*

can we now stop pretending that losing stuart was a big blow? he was brutal last year, and he's not what this team is missing now.

it was all lidstrom.

RedWingsNow*

Ericsson has more than replaced Stuart.

I don't think he has. Players who play as physical as Stuart does, without taking penalties, are rare. Ericsson, for example, 12 minor penalties in 41 games last year. Stuart had 12 in 82. Those 12 minor penalties are probably 2-3 extra goals over the course of the year.

And even if Ericsson had replaced Stuart, nobody replaced Ericsson.

I like DD. But Saying Dekeyser (after six or seven games) replaced Stuart is like saying Kindl replaced Lidstrom.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedWingsNow*

can we now stop pretending that losing stuart was a big blow? he was brutal last year, and he's not what this team is missing now.

it was all lidstrom.

Our PK is down about 1.5 percent or so. (Stuart departure)
Our PP is down about 1.5 percent or so (Lidstrom departure)

Kronwall is a big ol' fat -10 without Stuart this year (compared to -2 last year).

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'd prefer to have both Stuart and DeKeyser.

Kronwall-Stuart 24min
Smith-DeKeyser 18min
Kindl-Ericsson 18min

Not terrible.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think he has.
And even if he had, nobody replaced Ericsson.

I like DD. But Saying Dekeyser (after six or seven games) replaced Stuart is like saying Kindl replaced Lidstrom.

And that's the issue. This is why Holland not trading for Bouwmeester looks so terrible. Whether or not he plays the 'game' that we need doesn't matter, we don't know if that defensemen is available.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Bouwmeester - Kindl
DeKeyser - Smith/Quincey

Then there is no worries about who to play this year or next year, it would've brought so much stability to the defenemen core.

RedWingsNow*

I'd prefer to have both Stuart and DeKeyser.

Kronwall-Stuart 24min
Smith-DeKeyser 18min
Kindl-Ericsson 18min

Not terrible.

Better than what we have now -- Stuart in for Quincey is a big upgrade, IMO.

But whatever. Holland couldn't force him to stay.

lilja4mvp*

Kronwall is a big ol' fat -10 without Stuart this year (compared to -2 last year).
i guess you can make that comparison...if you completely ignore the fact that he was on the 2nd pairing last season, compared to the 1st this year.

kronwall has gotten exposed as a #1, and it would have played out the exact same way if kronwall-stuart was the 1st paring this year.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Better than what we have now -- Stuart in for Quincey is a big upgrade, IMO.

But whatever. Holland couldn't force him to stay.

Yeah I really don't want to drag that chestnut up again. Dude was not staying for any amount of money.

RedWingsNow*

i guess you can make that comparison...if you completely ignore the fact that he was on the 2nd pairing last season, compared to the 1st this year.

kronwall has gotten exposed as a #1, and it would have played out the exact same way if kronwall-stuart was the 1st paring this year.

I doubt it.
Ericsson is still learning the ropes. He's gone from third pairing duty to first pairing duty and is hardly a "stabilizing force"

Stuart, on the other hand, has faced top competition pretty much his entire career.

Stuart makes boneheaded plays. But he also plays hardnosed, clean, tough defense.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Stuart was solid when he didn't have to play above what he was. We have guys here that have nights when they don't look good in any role.

HTT3*

San Jose Sharks loss and I am reading Brad Stuart is the goat from the loss.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Sharks looked so vulnerable at times,

I think we could hold our own in series against a bunch of teams,

Might lose all of them, but they'd probably go 6 or 7 games, and be 1 or 2 goals for the most part.

Vancouver and Anaheim specifically, though we played Chicago pretty well aside from the one stinker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad