TSN: Brad Richards NOT being bought out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Hes bought out next year no matter what. Gone. Done. Finito.

From a financial risk perspective, and from a team building perspective, its just about as bad of a decision that could be made.

If Richards plays anywhere near the way he did in Dallas before coming here he's worth the money. So no, this is not "about as bad of a decision that could be made", it's a rational risk-managed decision that is perfectly defensible

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No, it's a bad decision. Like I said, consider the best case scenario for this decision, now weigh the consequences of him getting injured against that. Now consider how (un-)likely that 'best case scenario' is. Not to mention other factors, like BRB mentioned.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
now weigh the consequences of him getting injured

As with all risk management you have to weigh the probability of each scenario. The risk of injury is manageable. I think it's the right decision and I would have done the same thing in Sather's shoes. You're also forgetting, what if Nash goes off a cliff too. He would then be a better candidate for a buyout than BR

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Hes bought out next year no matter what. Gone. Done. Finito.

From a financial risk perspective, and from a team building perspective, its just about as bad of a decision that could be made.

This. Richards is getting bought out next year no matter what and he knows it. Not a whole lot of incentive for a guy that is already paid and already won a cup. Terrible, terrible move not buying him out especially with guys like Vinny L/Briere/Horton available, all of whom would provide twice the production out of an even average Richards. I will honestly be shocked if Richards puts up 50 next year. He is physically shot

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I know Beav's style doesn't put him in vulnerable positions very often, if ever, but it's ice hockey: it's incredibly dangerous and has more possibilities for freak injuries than probably any other sport, short of racing. We'll see what happens, trust me I hope more than anything that I'm wrong.

I ask myself: "Is this team capable of winning a cup, assuming Beav finds his form (say PPG), and boosts the PP% up to average?". My answer is no, or probably not. I'll even lower the expectation to just making the Finals, again, probably not. So then, what's the point of keeping him? Just my opinion.

But hey, maybe he racks up 90 assists, wins a 2nd Conn Smythe, and Sather looks like a genius. Hah. There's just too many 'if's and 'maybe's in this decision for my liking. Kind of like the draft yesterday, and Kreider 12-13, hoping for things to work out, but when they don't, ruh-oh.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
As with all risk management you have to weigh the probability of each scenario. The risk of injury is manageable. I think it's the right decision and I would have done the same thing in Sather's shoes. You're also forgetting, what if Nash goes off a cliff too. He would then be a better candidate for a buyout than BR

You are willing to explore the possibility that Richards will return to his Dallas form but one bad year would make Nash the prime buyout candidate? Nash is going nowhere, bad year or not.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
You're also forgetting, what if Nash goes off a cliff too. He would then be a better candidate for a buyout than BR

Nash is 29 and has five years left on his contract. Richards is 33 and has seven years left on his contract.

Ridiculous comparison. :shakehead

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Nash just came off of one of his best seasons, and his first real taste of the playoffs; he's right in his prime. Very clutch in the RS too.

Beav just had a season where everyone wanted his head on a stick (which doesn't necessarily mean anything), and was subjected to countless benzodiazepine/aquatic rodent jokes in every GDT. :laugh:

Not to mention he literally made our already atrocious PP even worse, and was essentially useless outside of the occasional/accidental Secondary assist. Management had a 'Get Out of Jail Free" card, and decided to 'save it for later'. Which I guess is status quo for an organization that treats real money like Monopoly money to begin with.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Richards was out of shape this past year and easily could have had an injury that led to season-ending surgery and prevented the buyout. The Rangers dodged a bullet this year and were in a position to buy him out, but will they be so lucky next season? Richards is getting older, it's definitely a gamble.

Another thing to consider in the short-term... Are the Rangers fielding the best possible team with Richards in the lineup for 2013-14, or could that money have been better spent on depth, a top 6 LW, etc.? I'm hoping Richards bounces back but I'm assuming he will play similar to how he did last year. I don't even want to consider a 3rd scenario... that he will continue to decline and plays worse and is less productive than he was this past season. If so, it could end up being another wasted year for the Rangers, not ideal with Lundqvist about to hit free agency (if he doesn't re-sign before then).

There's just so much riding on this decision. I would have preferred the Rangers go the safe route in this scenario and just buy him out now instead of assuming that things will break right next year.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Richards was out of shape this past year and easily could have had an injury that led to season-ending surgery and prevented the buyout. The Rangers dodged a bullet this year and were in a position to buy him out, but will they be so lucky next season? Richards is getting older, it's definitely a gamble.

Another thing to consider in the short-term... Are the Rangers fielding the best possible team with Richards in the lineup for 2013-14, or could that money have been better spent on depth, a top 6 LW, etc.? I'm hoping Richards bounces back but I'm assuming he will play similar to how he did last year. I don't even want to consider a 3rd scenario... that he will continue to decline and plays worse and is less productive than he was this past season. If so, it could end up being another wasted year for the Rangers, not ideal with Lundqvist about to hit free agency (if he doesn't re-sign before then).

There's just so much riding on this decision. I would have preferred the Rangers go the safe route in this scenario and just buy him out now instead of assuming that things will break right next year.

Exactly how I feel.

Dec 13, 2010
I don't mind keeping Richards around for the year, but I'm having a hard time understanding where he'll play. Unless they decide to try either Richards or Stepan at a wing this year, but I don't know why you'd stunt Stepan's growth for a guy who should absolutely not be around past this season.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
I am okay with Richards staying. It won’t let some on this board to get some acquisitions to talk about, but, honestly, who would be a replacement? Richards could only get better next season. The question is by how much, only that... You can always trade him by trade deadline comes next Feb. Absolutely no comparison to Drury who has been fallen apart for quite a while.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I am okay with Richards staying. It won’t let some on this board to get some acquisitions to talk about, but, honestly, who would be a replacement? Richards could only get better next season. The question is by how much, only that... You can always trade him by trade deadline comes next Feb. Absolutely no comparison to Drury who has been fallen apart for quite a while.

I think the cap recapture ramifications would negate a trade.

The question is, if Richards struggles as much this year as he did this past season and Lindberg proves himself ready to take a regular shift, do the Rangers have the collective testicular fortitude to put Richards in the press box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad