Brad Richards appreciation thread

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Looks like he is one of the few players that busted his ass this off season. Though Cally and Stepan didn't have training camps to get into playing shape.

October is going to be a rough month but if they can get close to .500 it will be s win. The D should be adjusted to this new system and the players that didn't have a training camp will be on propper shape. Not to mention Hagelin will be back.

When that happens, Nash comes back and hopefully Richards is still firing on all cylinders this will be a good hockey team.

I still have faith.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Too early to be critical of the team as a whole but Richards gets an appreciation thread 5 games into the season.

You guys are really something sometimes. I like how he has played but I'm not going to proclaim ill eat crow right now.

Good point.

According to some, you can't worry about the team yet because it's only been 5 games. However, it's totally OK to assume that Richards will continue to play like this and he definitely won't be bought out at the end of the season :laugh:

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
This place is pathetic. From any one individual, it's fine. Not specifying to OP, the fact that there's a Brad Richards appreciation thread is just.... distasteful. As a board, you can't go from ******** on him and calling him a waste of life and disgrace to having an appreciation thread. The panic around here is like crazy religious nuts all preparing for their respective ruptures.

Why not? Not everyone **** on him, so those who didn't aren't allowed to make an appreciation thread because of those who did?

Makes no sense.

Sure it's a bit prematutre but I think this thread was intended as a positive thread of sorts and Richards has been a positive sign thus far so yay for him.

KreiMeARiver*

5 games in and you're giving a guy who has been a ridiculous disappointment an appreciation thread?

wow

sure, I'm glad to see he's playing better, but....easy tiger.

We are a horrible team, right now. Nobody deserves an appreciation thread.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers still need to amnesty Richards in June. The Rangers will take a beating on cap recapture if Richards retires. Richards will be 34. If they don't amnesty him,the Rangers are stuck with Richards. No movement clause. Even if the Rangers could assign him to the AHL,they can't shed the entire salary in the AHL. Different rules. Have you seen the regular buyouts? Say the Rangers want to buy Richards out in 2016 when he will be 36.

Brad Richards buyout from CapGeek.com
2016-17: $500,000
2017-18: $6,500,000
2018-19: $6,500,000
2019-20: $6,500,000
2020-21: $833,333
2021-22: $833,333
2022-23: $833,333
2023-24: $833,333

Richards is 37 in 2017

Brad Richards buyout from CapGeek.com
2017-18: $6,000,000
2018-19: $6,000,000
2019-20: $6,000,000
2020-21: $333,333
2021-22: $333,333
2022-23: $333,333

No buyout or cap recapture. Trade means cap recapture still comes back to the Rangers if he retires.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What Richards is doing should be taken as a mental note for all the younger guys on the team and in the system.

He struggled last year, this year he's shooting, hard...all the time. Getting into the game. Be selfish (to many play makers, not enough pure shooters (nash included)

he's taking it upon himself to get his game going. Good for him.

Still getting bought out.

High And Wide*

What if he ends up leading the team with 80+ points this year? Do you really still buy him out? Then what the **** was he signed for?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What if he ends up leading the team with 80+ points this year? Do you really still buy him out? Then what the **** was he signed for?

absolutely.

The Cap re-capture issue is a complete game changer.

Additionally, he could post 100pts, the odds of him doing that, let alone sustaining that production level beyond a one and done type season are looong.

he's a fading player that will hurt us down the line.

He's a goner.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I would just be pleased if he plays well for us this season and hope he can push us forward into a good playoff run. Because he's gone after this year unless he pushes 100 points.

NYR get the youngest 3 years of his contract and eliminate the cap penalty for the back end of the contract when he'd be quite old. Players will cycle next offseason and NYR can find a center on a better deal, if they decide they need one with Stepan, Brassard, Miller, and Lindberg.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Absolutely. The financial risk is too great.

Forget 80 points, he can score 80 goals and the Rangers should still buy him out.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Unfortunately it's irrelevant how many points he puts up. ever since things changed with the lockout the Rangers have really had no choice, they can't take that risk for the rest of his contract and so he'll have to go. Some other team will get the benefit of 2-3 years of useful BR while he's collecting Dolan's $$

Personally I feel the new rule is dumb, because if just one other GM is prepared to trade for him it means there are at least 2 teams who think his contract is worth it; but, the NHL have given the Rangers an 'out' so it is what it is.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The Rangers still need to amnesty Richards in June. The Rangers will take a beating on cap recapture if Richards retires. Richards will be 34. If they don't amnesty him,the Rangers are stuck with Richards. No movement clause. Even if the Rangers could assign him to the AHL,they can't shed the entire salary in the AHL. Different rules. Have you seen the regular buyouts? Say the Rangers want to buy Richards out in 2016 when he will be 36.

Richards is 37 in 2017

No buyout or cap recapture. Trade means cap recapture still comes back to the Rangers if he retires.

for all we know in 2017 the cap might be 100mil....6mil may or may not matter.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I just don't see how the rangers, an offensively challenged team, would buy out Richards if he puts up 80+ points....im not sure how anyone can justify it.

5, 6, 7 years down the line, who knows...things change...im not super concerned about that, sather always seems to find a way.

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
I just don't see how the rangers, an offensively challenged team, would buy out Richards if he puts up 80+ points....im not sure how anyone can justify it.

5, 6, 7 years down the line, who knows...things change...im not super concerned about that, sather always seems to find a way.

I agree 100%. If he puts up 80 points or so' i dont buy him out. You'll always have that option down the line. Do it when the guy has stopped producing..

Production, something this team needs.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I agree 100%. If he puts up 80 points or so' i dont buy him out. You'll always have that option down the line. Do it when the guy has stopped producing..

Production, something this team needs.

We need to use our amnesty buyout this year or else we lose it. A regular buyout goes against the cap.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
There are two questions Sather and the Rangers brass have to ask themselves:

1. How much is the cap going to go up over the next 5 years and how much approximately will it cost to resign key players in that time frame?

2. Will Richards be able to keep up at 60-80 point pace each of those five seasons? (I say that range because when year 4 and 5 come around that would be more of the expectation)

This is all of coarse he continued this pace the rest of the season. And I say 5 years after this season because the buy out drops dramatically according to RB's chart up there.

But man, he has looked the best ive ever seen him play as a Ranger.

Last edited:

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
We need to use our amnesty buyout this year or else we lose it. A regular buyout goes against the cap.

Yeah. No way they can buy him out outside the amnesty. Even if they don't buy him out until 2017, that's still three years at 6 mill each they'd be paying in buyout penalties.

They basically have two options:
- Amnesty him
- Keep him on the roster and pray he stays healthy, plays well and doesn't retire until the end of his contract.

They have to buy him out.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
The Cap is going to go up. If he sustains the pace he has started out this with there is now way you buy him out. Hes playing like a legit 1st liner right now. If the Cap goes up to 80-85 million his contract becomes just fine. There is much more dead weight on this team that I would consider walking away from this offseason then Richie, provided he plays like this all year.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Richards retires and the Rangers take a cap penalty. Even if they trade him and he retires. The cap penalty returns. An amnesty buyout is clean. Richards will be 34. He has a no movement clause so they can't assign him to the AHL. Even if Richards didn't have a NMC,the Rangers would only get a small break on the cap hit. The CBA changed. Buying out Richards in 2015 or later when you could have bought him out in 2014 isn't smart.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah. No way they can buy him out outside the amnesty. Even if they don't buy him out until 2017, that's still three years at 6 mill each they'd be paying in buyout penalties.

They basically have two options:
- Amnesty him
- Keep him on the roster and pray he stays healthy, plays well and doesn't retire until the end of his contract.

They have to buy him out.

As long as we don't trade him, I think we could work out a Philly type of situation with him where he doesn't retire but goes on permanent LTIR until his contract expires. He gets his $$$ and the Rangers can spend the cap. Win-win.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Cap is going to go up. If he sustains the pace he has started out this with there is now way you buy him out. Hes playing like a legit 1st liner right now. If the Cap goes up to 80-85 million his contract becomes just fine. There is much more dead weight on this team that I would consider walking away from this offseason then Richie, provided he plays like this all year.

The cap isn't going up to $80M-$85M for another 3-4 years. Richards will be 34 during this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad