Brad Richards appreciation thread

cjc5103

Jan 21, 2013
Washington DC
It's sad for me to admit this, but I think in Richards has been the best player on the ice for us. It's not just the points, but he's been productive and moving the puck well.

It's early in the season so we'll see what comes of this but let's hope he can keep it up.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Richards joined the crew of guys who train at Prentiss Hockey Performance.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Richard showing what he can do. This is the best he's played so far as a Ranger. Even better than his first season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd have to disagree. He was better in his first season. But he's playing extremely well, As some people fully expected from him, Myself included.

I feel he was a bit too composed in his first season. This time he actually leads his team. Or maybe the second season completely erased the positives of his first season haha

adam94

BU Terriers
Nov 16, 2011
Long Island
Goes without saying that we're all glad he's contributing to the team, but I'm happy for him as a person. Always maintained a good attitude last year, worked his butt off over the summer, and clearly it's paying off. Go Richie!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like how he's been engaged physically and involved in scrums. I thought he was gonna murder CLuterbuck after the game.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
It's great what the team has been doing sticking up for each other and getting involved in scrums. That does more for team building than any staged fight ever does (yawn).
Very nice seeing that kind of stuff. They are going in the right direction with what they have

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Richards is having a major comeback year. 9 points so far mostly without nash/cally/hagelin. Tonight he was kicking clutterbucks's ass at the end

profchaos2001

Mar 2, 2012
I know its only been 10 games, an all of us have shat all over richards for a year (me included).

But I cant imagine where this team would be right now if we had bought him out.

this roster with no nash, no cally, no hags and no richards would be downright ugly. No matter what UFAs we picked up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My only complaint with Richards is his lack of emotion in the interviews. It looks like someone shot his dog every time :laugh:

People talk about the interviews alot, with Callahan as well. And I get it, everyone likes the rabblerouser, but I like a level-headed leader that flatlines and keeps an even keel win or loss, at least publicly. When the door closes that's when words can fly. As for the media, I like the team to be represented by C's and A's who are laid back and level-headed.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Last year was very tough for him. You have to give this guy a ton of credit coming back this way. I was very critical and I'm very happy to have him prove me wrong.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Last year was very tough for him. You have to give this guy a ton of credit coming back this way. I was very critical and I'm very happy to have him prove me wrong.

While last year was tough for him, it was his fault. As a professional athlete you cant let yourself go in the offseason (lockout or not). His legs just weren't there and he paid for it.

Was quietly confident that we were going to see a much better Richards this season.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
While last year was tough for him, it was his fault. As a professional athlete you cant let yourself go in the offseason (lockout or not). His legs just weren't there and he paid for it.

Was quietly confident that we were going to see a much better Richards this season.

Totally agree with this. It was on him. That's what had me so pissed at him. To his credit he's admitted as much. Just glad to see him playing well and not another high priced failure in a Rangers uniform.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Even if/when Richards is bought out I still love the guy. He really does care. He isn't like any other NYR bust signing that we're used to laughing about by now. It's really nice to see him ready to rock, as well.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The only other consideration is Nash.

At 34 years old. Richards is still very much the favorite to be sent packing via buyout. Regardless of the season he has.

He's had a nice first ten games, no question. But he hasn't been a major impact player, he's simply been a solid top sixer - the fact that the team has been sorely lacking them has made that stand out.

He's still had flashes of a declining player (e.g. I thought he dragged down his line against Montreal) and he's nowhere NEAR the kind of dominant force he'd need to be to justify the cap recapture risk.

Kudos to him for redeeming himself and rehabilitating his game after last year's awful performance - I'm sure he'll get every penny he deserves on a well-earned 3-year deal after he's bought out. But IMO there's no question you still have to buy him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad