Brad Park and Bobby Orr in 1976 - did they actually share the ice?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Going through the summaries on HSP for those ten games, it appears that Boston's power-play was 13/37 (35.1%). Admittedly a small sample, and it was an easy stretch for them (no games against the Habs, Flyers or Sabres), but it does make you wonder how good they could've been if they had a whole season to get used to each other.

In those 10 games Boston scored a total of 41 goals. Orr was on the ice for 32 of them.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It would be interesting to know how much of the 60:00 (or, I guess 600:00+ total) Orr or Park (together or alone) were on the ice for. The mid-70s is sort-of the end of the 4-Dmen era, isn't it? You'd have to think one or both was on the ice for at least 45:00 of all those games, if not much more.

The stats show that only 3 Bruins' D-men played 60+ games that season (those being Edestrand, Dallas Smith, and Zanussi), and nine played at least 10 games, so clearly they had some injury issues that season. Park dressed for 43 games, in which he had 53 points.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
IMHO.....take that to the bank and I say that knowing there's limitless "if's" in this world but those two, Orr AND Park, together..... :eek:
:handclap:

I can remember reading reports about how very well they both played together; you wonder if Montreal might have had one or two fewer Cup titles between 1976 and 1979 had Orr's knee not given out the way it did.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I can remember reading reports about how very well they both played together; you wonder if Montreal might have had one or two fewer Cup titles between 1976 and 1979 had Orr's knee not given out the way it did.

I almost guarantee they win another one or at least make another finals.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Here's one...

circa, 1979, Ray Bourque rookie year.

raypark.png

Mario Lemieux looks weird in a Caps uniform.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
If WSBK TV38 in Boston didn't dispose of the tapes they do exist, but I only saw them on the original broadcast nights.

Orr played the right point on the PP and Park flipped over to the left.

Ok....thanks....would be very cool to see

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Harry Sinden was a cheapskate but he did do some things right. He longed to have the best defenseman in the NHL on the Bruins. He had Orr for so long and when he realized that wouldn't be for much longer he traded for Park, who you could argue was the next best defenseman in the NHL. Or had been several years running (Potvin during that year seemed to overtake him though).

That's why he drafted Bourque as well. Part of what has made the Bruins great for decades, or at least competitive, is having a star defenseman on their team.

I've always felt that having a top-flight defenseman in hockey is akin to having a top-flight left tackle in football. It's hard to get anywhere without one.

Sinden was cheap, but he wasn't stupid.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There's something about Brad Park's body/stance that always makes him look non-athletic. If you didn't know he was a hockey player, you'd think he was the chubby guy in blue overalls who sells wrenches at the tool shop downtown.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Here's the breakdown of their 10 games together...

It appears that they collaborated on a goal 4 times in those 10 games.

Nov. 8 - BOS 2 @ VAN 4
Orr and Park assist on a PP goal by Bucyk

Nov. 9 - BOS 6 @ CAL 3
Park PP goal, assisted by Orr

Nov. 13 - MIN 0 @ BOS 6
Orr scores his 1st of the season on the penalty kill. In fact, the Bruins last 3 goals of the game were shorthanded, the other two by Dave Forbes!

Nov. 15 - BOS 5 @ ATL 3

Orr PP goal assisted by Park
Park PP goal assisted by Orr

Nov. 16 - KC 2 @ BOS 4
Park with a PP assist

Nov. 19 - BOS 3 @ DET 3
Orr PP goal

Nov. 20 - NYI 2 @ BOS 2

Orr PP assist

Nov. 23 - TOR 3 @ BOS 3
Orr unassisted PP goal

Nov. 25 - LA 2 @ BOS 4
Park PP assist
Orr EV assist

Nov. 26 - BOS 6 @ NYR 4
Orr's last goal as a Bruin, EV vs. John Davidson
Orr PP assist
Park PP assist
ironically the last game is against the Rangers

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Here's the breakdown of their 10 games together...

It appears that they collaborated on a goal 4 times in those 10 games.

Nov. 8 - BOS 2 @ VAN 4
Orr and Park assist on a PP goal by Bucyk

Nov. 9 - BOS 6 @ CAL 3
Park PP goal, assisted by Orr

Nov. 13 - MIN 0 @ BOS 6
Orr scores his 1st of the season on the penalty kill. In fact, the Bruins last 3 goals of the game were shorthanded, the other two by Dave Forbes!

Nov. 15 - BOS 5 @ ATL 3

Orr PP goal assisted by Park
Park PP goal assisted by Orr

Nov. 16 - KC 2 @ BOS 4
Park with a PP assist

Nov. 19 - BOS 3 @ DET 3
Orr PP goal

Nov. 20 - NYI 2 @ BOS 2

Orr PP assist

Nov. 23 - TOR 3 @ BOS 3
Orr unassisted PP goal

Nov. 25 - LA 2 @ BOS 4
Park PP assist
Orr EV assist

Nov. 26 - BOS 6 @ NYR 4
Orr's last goal as a Bruin, EV vs. John Davidson
Orr PP assist
Park PP assist
ironically the last game is against the Rangers

Didn't exactly face the iron of the NHL in that stretch, eh?

jefrey195762

Jul 25, 2018
three years since the last remark here and still no has come up with any videos of any of those ten games. what a cryin' shame...please inform if anything shows up...

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The man to ask would be Fenway. He’s probably the top Boston Bruins historian on earth. If he can’t find it, no one can.

If they’re still in tact, the old WSBK TV38 archives might have something. I think NESN might have custody of them now.

I think this is worth looking into. Too bad the NHL doesn’t have anything like NFL Films. The NFL records every play of every game from several angles. They don’t save the network broadcast, they record their own video and archive it. They have every play of every game going back to the 1960s. Here’s a little nugget- as of the 1990s, there was more film footage of pro football than any other topic except for WWII. Eventually pro football will surpass that.

Wouldn’t it be amazing to have every minute of Wayne Gretzky’s, Bobby Orr’s, and Mario Lemieux’s careers preserved on high quality film? If they had played in the NFL, we would have that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad