Brad Park and Bobby Orr in 1976 - did they actually share the ice?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Why would the NHL want that? They've got The Mighty Ducks Part II on blue-ray, which is the important thing.
Lol!

My favorite thing about the NFL as a league is NFL Films.

The slow motion, set to music, with the late John Facenda & his successors narrating sends chills up my spine. If they can make football look more graceful than hockey, imagine what they could do for the NHL.

The NFL has every single snap of Tom Brady’s career archived forever. Imagine that. What if we had the complete video history of Guy LaFleur? Or Wayne Gretzky? Or Mario Lemieux? That the NHL hasn’t created an “NHL Films” by now is unforgivable. So much history lost... it’s not fair.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
To tie into the topic at hand, I wish the NHL put out a video yearbook of every team. If the Bruins had one for that year, I’m certain the Orr-Park tandem would be heavily featured.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
There's something about Brad Park's body/stance that always makes him look non-athletic. If you didn't know he was a hockey player, you'd think he was the chubby guy in blue overalls who sells wrenches at the tool shop downtown.

Is it that he appears stoop-shouldered - like his head is too low on his body? What has always puzzled me was that he was listed at 6'0 tall yet in all the pics (especially team photos) where he is standing next to players whose heights I am reasonably sure of, he only looks about 5'9? Could he have had that condition that Milan Lucic does or was he just slumping?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Brad Park has to be the unluckiest defenseman ever. Losing out on Norrises to Orr and Povtin and then with a very good argument to win one in '80-81, only to be disrespected by the voters who put him behind eight other names including the (very undeserving, imo) winner Randy Carlyle.

Reactions: Bluesguru

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Did Orr and Park play in the inaugural Canada cup in 1976?

Park missed out due to a knee injury from the previous season. He did a great job as Canada's best shot at an Orr replacement in the 1972 Summer Series though.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Still can’t believe that the Norris trophy hasn’t been renamed to the Bobby Orr trophy

A bit awkward to do so, and I am a bit fussy on trophies. The Vezina now means something else now, which while better, confuses some younger fans who weren't aware what it meant years ago. The thought had me nodding though!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here's a question. If Orr is healthy and makes a full recovery and the Bruins still have Park, do they steal a Cup away from the Habs? Keep in mind, the Park trade still happens, so there is Ratelle still there. Would that be enough to put them over the top?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Here's a question. If Orr is healthy and makes a full recovery and the Bruins still have Park, do they steal a Cup away from the Habs? Keep in mind, the Park trade still happens, so there is Ratelle still there. Would that be enough to put them over the top?

Yep!

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Think of how the Canadians defense was stacked back, 4 big guys so they usually would have a "big" advantage over the other team at some point or for most of the game. With Orr back, Boston would have alot more firepower on the ice. Orr would also provide a major threat offensively and also take offense away from the Habs as he would tip puck control time a bit more on the Bruins side of the ledger. Just my opinion but I think Boston wins one more Cup.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Think of how the Canadians defense was stacked back, 4 big guys so they usually would have a "big" advantage over the other team at some point or for most of the game. With Orr back, Boston would have alot more firepower on the ice. Orr would also provide a major threat offensively and also take offense away from the Habs as he would tip puck control time a bit more on the Bruins side of the ledger. Just my opinion but I think Boston wins one more Cup.

It is hard to imagine them not winning at least one. If you look at 1977, 1978 and 1979 the last two years Boston kept it close with Montreal. A prime Orr would have given them one Cup, I think. Then maybe taken one away from the Isles in 1980. No doubt a healthy Orr helps the Bruins win more Cup(s). Imagine Orr, Park and Bourque in 1980. Wowzers!

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I think this is worth looking into. Too bad the NHL doesn’t have anything like NFL Films. The NFL records every play of every game from several angles....

Wouldn’t it be amazing to have every minute of Wayne Gretzky’s, Bobby Orr’s, and Mario Lemieux’s careers preserved on high quality film? If they had played in the NFL, we would have that.

Yeah, what a shame. Although I suppose it's a lot easier when teams only play one game a week and 14-16 games/season like football...

Cmhop1960

Aug 1, 2018
So Brad Park gets traded to the Bruins in 1976, which was Bobby's last year with them and one in which he only played 10 games.

Does anyone know of any references that show Orr and Park on the same ice together, possibly on the same line?

They played in ten games together, I was privileged enough to be at two of those games.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
How is this for a top 4 in the early 80's: Orr, Park, Bourque, and Mark Howe. Throw in Brad McCrimmon as the number 5 defenseman and Boston could have won at least one Cup with some legendary playoff series against the Islanders. What could have been if Orr stayed relatively healthy and Howe, a 1974 Bruins draft pick, was somehow awarded to Boston after the WHA/NHL merger.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
The thought of Orr and Park playing with each other during the 75-76 season never crossed my mind. What a great thread, really enjoyed it!!!

I think Sinden is getting more credit than he deserves here in terms of acquiring Brad Park. It was Emile Francis who started the dialogue and whined for a trade. Poor Emile, way too antsy to shake things up because the Rangers got off to a poor start, but he really wanted to make a big hockey trade and he had his eye on Esposito. Okay, fine, you like Esposito but you don't trade away Park and Ratelle to make that happen.

And yeah, Park never getting a Norris Trophy is mind boggling, and yet Randy Carlyle got one? Geez

Reactions: SealsFan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The thought of Orr and Park playing with each other during the 75-76 season never crossed my mind. What a great thread, really enjoyed it!!!

I think Sinden is getting more credit than he deserves here in terms of acquiring Brad Park. It was Emile Francis who started the dialogue and whined for a trade. Poor Emile, way too antsy to shake things up because the Rangers got off to a poor start, but he really wanted to make a big hockey trade and he had his eye on Esposito. Okay, fine, you like Esposito but you don't trade away Park and Ratelle to make that happen.

And yeah, Park never getting a Norris Trophy is mind boggling, and yet Randy Carlyle got one? Geez

Not seeing how the GM of the Bruins doesn't deserve that much credit for the trade he made.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Do you honestly think Cherry put 6 players out? As in, called out six names?

... obviously not.... with emotions running high caught up in a messy line change, clearly the players at fault and something not entirely (though its rare) unknown of course. I recall reading that Cherry did actually accept responsibility which you'd rather expect of him, endearing; "Players Coach". He did yell at them but between the noises, panic situation, desperate.... well, these things can happen.

Hockey is a game of mistakes, he who makes the fewest wins. A most unfortunate situation. I recall Middleton in particular being absolutely outstanding however Dryden, lights out when really tested..... Of course Sinden then fires Don about a month later with many a pundit suggesting that so called "bench mistake" that cost the Bruins the Cup the reason but no. Contributing factor but not the overriding reason ('s) behind his dismissal....

And no Cherry wouldnt identify or name whomever the player was that caused the pile-up even if he knew and that is the honorable way one should comport themselves in just such situations in naming the culprit... otherwise you may be creating another Ray Finkle type situation..... a name you may recall Mr. Bonvie?.... Ray there the place-kicker for the Miami Dolphins... Super Bowl XVII dying seconds missed the uprights... disgraced, dejected, pilloried... winds up in a psych ward... busts out, not just a name change & some minor plastic surgery.... Ray goes full-on gender-identity change & so on & so on.... uh?... docu-drama made about it some years ago.... Ace Ventura....

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
... obviously not.... with emotions running high caught up in a messy line change, clearly the players at fault and something not entirely (though its rare) unknown of course. I recall reading that Cherry did actually accept responsibility which you'd rather expect of him, endearing; "Players Coach". He did yell at them but between the noises, panic situation, desperate.... well, these things can happen.

Hockey is a game of mistakes, he who makes the fewest wins. A most unfortunate situation. I recall Middleton in particular being absolutely outstanding however Dryden, lights out when really tested..... Of course Sinden then fires Don about a month later with many a pundit suggesting that so called "bench mistake" that cost the Bruins the Cup the reason but no. Contributing factor but not the overriding reason ('s) behind his dismissal....

And no Cherry wouldnt identify or name whomever the player was that caused the pile-up even if he knew and that is the honorable way one should comport themselves in just such situations in naming the culprit... otherwise you may be creating another Ray Finkle type situation..... a name you may recall Mr. Bonvie?.... Ray there the place-kicker for the Miami Dolphins... Super Bowl XVII dying seconds missed the uprights... disgraced, dejected, pilloried... winds up in a psych ward... busts out, not just a name change & some minor plastic surgery.... Ray goes full-on gender-identity change & so on & so on.... uh?... docu-drama made about it some years ago.... Ace Ventura....

No, the Ray Finkle story slipped right by me.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->