Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I wasn't going to reply to you any further, but let's make a quick list of things that you've compared to harmlessly celebrating a goal.

1. Running a goalie.
2. Physically removing an opponent's equipment in the middle of a game.

Furthermore, despite me having just called Tom Wilson an absolute moron in his suspension thread, the differences in the two confrontations are amazingly clear. The gloves of both players in the Wilson-Coburn tilt were off prior to the first punch we see land and they were squared up with each other immediately.

Wilson didn't rush in and start face punching someone who was, for all intents and purposes, defenseless. Isn't that what everyone dislikes Wilson for? His predatory behavior toward defenseless players when he hits? So there's an issue with me not liking the same sort of behavior when it comes to fights? Got it.

You're less coherent the more you post.

NOT celebrating a goal, celebrating a goal in a settled game late in the third are TWO different things. if the game was 2-2 when eller scored and he does exactly what he did there no one says peep. but it wasn't 2-2 it was 6-0 when eller scored.

And when wilson say an opponent take a jersey off his teamated and toss it, he viewed it as disrespectful to the TEAM and very much wanted to settle accounts. Brad marchand went through the same thing. he took offense to an action he viewed as an opponent choosing to try and show him and his teamates up.

now its one thing to say that you don't think that what eller did was bad enough to warrant having to fight. A fine opinion. but it wasn't marchand's and he doesnt give a crap about what you think warrants a fight. He's a team leader, probably their best player last year and a little guy who punched up and got the better of lars. The B's didnt send Chara or Miller out there, they sent the little guy.

the rules are clear, if someone is pushing the issue you have but two choices, drop them or turtle. the idea that if you don't engage you are protected ( the orpik conjecture) has been shown to be faulty.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It would be more like 5-foot-9 Nathan Walker going after Bergeron.
Tie Domi was like, 5 foot nothing and he was a great fighter. Anyone with a brain should know that in terms of fighting, height alone means nothing. A tall fighter has an edge over a short fighter, but a guy who doesn't know how to fight is a guy who doesn't know how to fight regardless of how tall he is.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I agree with sending a message after a guy is celebrating on a blowout game goal. But, you challenge him and maybe even do everything Marchand did before actually throwing punches. If he won't except the challenge after some rag-dolling, or even drop his gloves to hold on, you can't just start punching guys in the face. Not today, at least. Maybe in some earlier days he'd get away with it with nothing more than a misconduct.

No major injury but Marchand is a repeat offender. Domi got 5 preseason games which probably would be a closer equivalent to about 2 regular season games, but that repeat offender thing looks like it could be a big multiplier of punishment this season. I'm going to guess 5 games because of that. They seem to want to send a message to guys that have been there before and still aren't learning.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yea cause we’re talking about someone running the goalie here aren’t we.
so there are limits where someone can hide behind their reticence ?

I thought your position was that if a guy doesnt want to fight, you can't force him to ?

perhaps you don't view rubbing it in at the end of a settled game enough of a transgression to remove your right to refuse.

Marchand does.

And here we are.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Curious how it will play out the next time Bergeron scores with Tom Wilson on the ice because he is full of pride

If it’s 7-0, then i can guarantee you Bergeron won’t even so much as crack a smile once the puck goes in.

Let’s keep acting like Marchand gets in 15 fights a year with heavies though.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's a hockey thing.

This post is an ego thing because you're upset that your guy took a pounding
20 years ago it might have been a hockey thing. The days of jumping guys for breaking some mystical hockey code are long gone. Marchand is a piece of garbage and everyone aside from some Bruins fans know it. If the NHL doesn't throw a suspension his way, then all of their supposed work to mitigate brain injuries was worthless. If the league condones guys getting sucker punched and let him get away with only the instigator penalty, then that is the most telling part of the NHL's true opinion on brain injuries.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Well I think there is certainly some distance between what we both think his role should be and what he actually manages to do. I'm not sure Wilson is capable of sending a message without high probability of suspension these days.

Well...I don't disagree with that.

He is kind of an idiot.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Tie Domi was like, 5 foot nothing and he was a great fighter. Anyone with a brain should know that in terms of fighting, height alone means nothing. A tall fighter has an edge over a short fighter, but a guy who doesn't know how to fight is a guy who doesn't know how to fight regardless of how tall he is.

hahahahha. Now we're comparing Brad Marchand to Tie Domi.

Marchand has like, what, two fights? One where Subban throws a punch and whiffs by two feet and falls down and the other where he squares off with Mike Ribeiro.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Jesus dude get a hold of yourself. I'm sure Pasta would **** himself if Wilson came charging at him to fight
You sound like someone who holds themselves often. I assure you the Bruins have no fear of Wilson, especially since he won’t be around for awhile. Next time they play with Wilson in the lineup Chara or Miller will skate over to him and let him know what happens if he tries anything, not sure where people get the idea Wilson is tough, he is dirty and cheap and has the record to prove it, but tough he is not.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I agree with sending a message after a guy is celebrating on a blowout game goal. But, you challenge him and maybe even do everything Marchand did before actually throwing punches. If he won't except the challenge after some rag-dolling, or even drop his gloves to hold on, you can't just start punching guys in the face. Not today, at least. Maybe in some earlier days he'd get away with it with nothing more than a misconduct.

No major injury but Marchand is a repeat offender. Domi got 5 preseason games which probably would be a closer equivalent to about 2 regular season games, but that repeat offender thing looks like it could be a big multiplier of punishment this season. I'm going to guess 5 games because of that. They seem to want to send a message to guys that have been there before and still aren't learning.

Did you even watch it???? That's exactly what happened!

Marchand ragdolled him, maybe threw one body punch. Then completely stopped! Then Eller dropped his gloves, the linesmen backed off. Eller threw two punches and then got beaten up.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
20 years ago it might have been a hockey thing. The days of jumping guys for breaking some mystical hockey code are long gone. Marchand is a piece of garbage and everyone aside from some Bruins fans know it. If the NHL doesn't throw a suspension his way, then all of their supposed work to mitigate brain injuries was worthless. If the league condones guys getting sucker punched and let him get away with only the instigator penalty, then that is the most telling part of the NHL's true opinion on brain injuries.
If you want hockey to become like soccer, where guys dive, are cocky, are huge divas and generally have a bad attitude without any kind of reprecussion then sure. Hockey is old school and as such; beautiful in its own way.

Brain damage from fighting is still not an issue compared to any kind of hitting. If you are serious in your "protect the brain" campaign then ban hitting. Or is some brain damage worth it because you like hits? I don's see how hitting is necessary to the game either.

The NFL players got the damage from repeated minor head bumping. Not major mega hits.

Edit: Eller could easily have turtled if he wanted to avoid the fight.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

yeah it would be so much better for the players and the league to let stick hacks and number runners and rule breakers simply decline to settle accounts on the ice. 100% better. Lets have no accountability from the players side and let the league deal with everything.

be might even provide the fertile ground to allow players when they score goals to do crotch chops pointed at the other team ! the league would be so much better that way ! it would be NBA lite !

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
No sport allows that.

Other than sports where it's the basis of competition, fighting is against the rules in every sport, hockey included.
The discrepancy in terms of severity of punishment matters here. Don't try to equate the two simply because it's "against the rule". If Manletchand did that in the NBA (assuming he could jump high enough to punch higher than any other player's chest), he'd be suspended for 15+ games.

Yes, it's technically against the rules, but still much more widely accepted and the repercussions are a joke compared to other leagues. I don't mind, heck I enjoy watching violence on TV, but to act as if it is the same cross sport is asinine

Wilso is on his fourth suspension, last one 20 games, in a year, Marchand is not even close to that, but nice try.
I guess you could say he flies UNDER the radar. *audience explodes with laughter*

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If you want hockey to become like soccer, where guys dive, are cocky, are huge divas and generally have a bad attitude without any kind of reprecussion then sure. Hockey is old school and as such; beutiful.

Brain damage from fighting is still not an issue compared to any kind of hitting. If you are serious in your "protect the brain" campaign then ban hitting. Or is some brain damage worth it because you like hits? I don's see how hitting is necessary to the game either.

The NFL players got the damage form repeated minor head bumping. Not major mega hits.

Why don't you tell that to the lengthy list of fighters who suffered serious injuries in fights and lived their life with brain damage because of it. Doesn't change that it was cheap, dirty, and a complete sucker punch.

There has been no evidence ever provided that proves that removing jumping guys causes more diving or have bad attitudes.

You'd think with a user name like beukeboom, you'd be more against sucker punches.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
yeah it would be so much better for the players and the league to let stick hacks and number runners and rule breakers simply decline to settle accounts on the ice. 100% better. Lets have no accountability from the players side and let the league deal with everything.

be might even provide the fertile ground to allow players when they score goals to do crotch chops pointed at the other team ! the league would be so much better that way ! it would be NBA lite !

Player accountability, good one. The only rule breaker here was Marchand. By your "code", then next time Washington plays Boston, one of the Caps players can Bertuzzi Marchand over this. That sounds good for the game. Brad Marchand of all people does not have the right to police the "code" of the NHL. He's the biggest pos the league has seen since Matt Cooke.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No sport allows that.

Other than sports where it's the basis of competition, fighting is against the rules in every sport, hockey included.

no other team sport plays the game in confined spaces, at speed with knives on their feet, clubs in their hands and malice in their black black hearts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad