Brad Marchand jumps Lars Eller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Oh yeah. Other than hockey what other sport can you jump someone and sucker punch them?!?
As I mentioned, it happens in every sport. Score a beaut in Soccer and taunt the opposing team? You're going to get a slide tackle with the cleats up. Taunt someone in baseball after a homerun, you're getting a pitch thrown at your head at your next at bat. Hit an impressive three pointer and taunt the other team? Probably nothing happens because basketball players are wusses. Stand over a Quarterback after a devastating hit and mock him? You're having half the team jump you at once. NASCAR you're getting spunout or put into a wall. Tennis your're getting a serve in the dick or chest. Golf, no one buys you a beer at the 19th hole.

Plus there was no sucker punch. People need to stop using the word so liberally. Marchand created a scuffle and squared up with Lars after Lars taunted the Bruins players. And again, to reiterate, I think Marchand is usually a giant POS whom I wish would get his bell rung a few times.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
as a caps fan I don't care what marchand did, this is being blown out of proportion imo. yeah, it was a bit dirty but who cares, eller is fine, this isn't something that's going to matter. next time they play there will be some heat because of it and that'll be the end of it after that.

what i do hate is after every hit, every fight, it has to be viewed under a microscope now days. it's hockey, i expect there to be some dirty shit from time to time.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
So you’re arguing, three humans who lived with depression/anxiety, which was very likely a result of their “tough guy” roles, “wouldn’t change a thing”

Woooah boy that’s ignorant

Maybe you should read Proberts book and see if he didnt enjoy what he did.

The only ignorant one is you.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Is the NHL becoming the MLB or something with unwritten rules from the early 1900's? You apparently can't celebrate a goal in a 7-0 beatdown on the night that you raise the Stanley Cup banner. The funny thing is, Eller probably celebrated like he did because he hit the post or Rask/Halak stonewalled him on a few other opportunities earlier in the game.

Marchand 100% should get a call from the league, even if it's just a fine or a warning for this kind of crap. Eller clearly didn't want to fight and Marchand immediately jumped him, tore off his helmet and threw multiple punches on a guy trying not to fight. Not to mention, he threw a nice big swing that landed when both guys were on the ice. Real tough guy and I hope he gets his ass jumped next time these two teams play each other.

Reactions: third man in

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Curious how it will play out the next time Bergeron scores with Tom Wilson on the ice because he is full of pride

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As I mentioned, it happens in every sport. Score a beaut in Soccer and taunt the opposing team? You're going to get a slide tackle with the cleats up. Taunt someone in baseball after a homerun, you're getting a pitch thrown at your head at your next at bat. Hit an impressive three pointer and taunt the other team? Probably nothing happens because basketball players are wusses. Stand over a Quarterback after a devastating hit and mock him? You're having half the team jump you at once. NASCAR you're getting spunout or put into a wall. Tennis your're getting a serve in the dick or chest. Golf, no one buys you a beer at the 19th hole.

Plus there was no sucker punch. People need to stop using the word so liberally. Marchand created a scuffle and squared up with Lars after Lars taunted the Bruins players. And again, to reiterate, I think Marchand is usually a giant POS whom I wish would get his bell rung a few times.

It's absolutely a sucker punch. Eller refuses to fight, Marchand grabs him and starts punching. It's the exact scenario of Domi/Ekblad except Domi landed a cleaner shot.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Marchand instigated...and he got an instigator penalty and a 10 minute misconduct. The big bombs only came after they squared up and after Eller got a shot off.

Everyone wants to pretend this isn't how it went down. Eller gets smoked because he whiffs on a punch.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It's also very funny how multiple posters in this thread always seem to end up as part of the Wilson bashing crew in every Wilson thread but are constantly sticking up for Marchand. If Wilson did this the Bruins fans would be outraged right now

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
In general, I'm on your side of the argument, but it's disingenuous to bring up Probert as if his death had anything to do with his fighting history. That guy wasn't exactly playing by life's rulebook.
The CTE he suffered probably didn't help him make good decisions. There were several other guys who have died but off the top of my head the 3 guys I listed were the first to come to mind. And we aren't even getting to guys suffering brain damage like Dan Carcillo (go read his Twitter. He wants to prevent what happened to him from happening to anyone else but goes about it in the worst way and doesn't realize it).

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
It's funny that people are acting like a bunch of retired fighters are actually out there endorsing the practice whole heartedly.

I've listened to hundreds of interviews and read just as many, and I think the most resounding endorsement you'll find is guys who say that they understand it was a role they played and they wanted to help their team. Most interviews are of guys who say they developed the fighting role when they realized it was the only way they were going to make the league. I really don't remember any guys saying they found it fun or they sought it out, a lot of them have a tinge of sadness to the whole thing.

Like I don't think you'll find a lot of guys who flat out say they regret their careers, but I also think you won't find a lot of guys who think fighting itself is the greatest thing to ever happen on the ice. They looked at it as their "role".

Reactions: sabremike

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I would trust a player's old school respect your opponent etiquette if it didn't come from a borderline sociopath that has done far worse in his career time and time again.

It would be like a used car salesman praising the virtue of honesty.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's a hockey thing.

This post is an ego thing because you're upset that your guy took a pounding

:laugh: Internet tough guy is the authority on what constitutes a "hockey thing" and is lecturing people on how to be tough. Love it.

And you're dead wrong. What I don't like seeing is guys who don't want to fight get sucker punched by a noted punk who can't take a loss. If Eller played for another team it would be equally as crappy. You enjoy watching people get sucker punched?

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I guess so?

What the hell is Wilson's role on that team if he's not going to send a message to other teams that they can't lay hands on their talent?

Well I think there is certainly some distance between what we both think his role should be and what he actually manages to do. I'm not sure Wilson is capable of sending a message without high probability of suspension these days.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He sought every single advantage he could

jumped from the side
went for the helmet
got tied in
threw punches

before Eller had is gloves off

Nope, not by chance is pretty much what I said earlier in the thread. I think Eller needed to answer for his antics, but I don't think how Marchand went about it was right or fair.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Curious how it will play out the next time Bergeron scores with Tom Wilson on the ice because he is full of pride
First off Bergeron has to much class to do what Eller did. Cap fans talk about Wilson like he is tough or something. There is not a single player on the Caps that would strike fear in any Bruin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad