Brad Marchand having a good time in Montreal

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

But I have a few clarifications I want to bring:

1) Beachclub is under new ownership, no connection to bikers anymore, and it is trying to stray away from the ********* wifebeater clientele, to a more PLUR crowd (if you don't know what PLUR is, google it).

2) Marchand is not a superstar in Montreal/Quebec. From his days in junior, everyone hated him. They still do. He's honestly a super annoying dude, but a great hockey player.

3) There was nothing wrong in that video, aside his safety. The security guards were trying to do their job, not because he was making a scene or being violent or just a rowdy drunk... they just wanted to make sure no one (Marchand or visitors) get injured.

PS: Some people on Facebook are commenting that he threw bottles and ice on people. I would not believe those claims. I believe he did throw ice, but that was more because people were trying to get his attention and he was playing along.

All in all, Marchand is still a little ***** that we love to hate, and he's just doing his bro-stuff in July; good for him.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

1) Beachclub is under new ownership, no connection to bikers anymore, and it is trying to stray away from the ********* wifebeater clientele, to a more PLUR crowd (if you don't know what PLUR is, google it).

2) Marchand is not a superstar in Montreal/Quebec. From his days in junior, everyone hated him. They still do. He's honestly a super annoying dude, but a great hockey player.

3) There was nothing wrong in that video, aside his safety. The security guards were trying to do their job, not because he was making a scene or being violent or just a rowdy drunk... they just wanted to make sure no one (Marchand or visitors) get injured.

PS: Some people on Facebook are commenting that he threw bottles and ice on people. I would not believe those claims. I believe he did throw ice, but that was more because people were trying to get his attention and he was playing along.

All in all, Marchand is still a little ***** that we love to hate, and he's just doing his bro-stuff in July; good for him.

Who are "they" that hate Marchand. The people who party at beach club? Doubtful

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Who are "they" that hate Marchand. The people who party at beach club? Doubtful

I have friends that have seen the "hated" Marchand leaving the Garden after games joking and talking with players from different teams (even PK Subban). Like anyone, I'm sure there are players and people that hate Marchand, but that list is overblown.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I2) Marchand is not a superstar in Montreal/Quebec. From his days in junior, everyone hated him. They still do. He's honestly a super annoying dude, but a great hockey player.

Silly posturing like this always reminds me of the time an idiot in Montreal was blocking the Bruins bus at the entrance of the Forum, waving around a broom, predicting a Habs sweep after a single win. Harry/Milbury sent Cam Neely off the bus to "persuade" the fan to get out of the way. Cam proceeded to tell the man to cease and desist or the broom would be travelling very far into a dark and stanky place. The fan wisely complied, but not until he sheepishly begged Cam to sign the broom.

So as was obviously the case with Marchand, most fan "hatred" dissolves into schoolboy fawning when actually in the presence of an NHL player, regardless of the laundry. I've personally never been like that (I tend to only fawn over war heroes), but I've seen it enough to know the type.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
It's not a right or wrong thing. People hate people, especially celebrities, especially athletes on rival teams, especially players with somewhat questionable reputation. Rational or not, I was just pointing that was the sentiment from my interactions with people on the topic of Brad Marchand.

Whenever someone makes a comment on how a group(s) of people feel a certain way about something or someone, you have to take it with a grain of salt because it's always based on personal experience. It is impossible to survey an entire city or province to objectively come to a conclusion.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's not a right or wrong thing. People hate people, especially celebrities, especially athletes on rival teams, especially players with somewhat questionable reputation. Rational or not, I was just pointing that was the sentiment from my interactions with people on the topic of Brad Marchand.

Whenever someone makes a comment on how a group(s) of people feel a certain way about something or someone, you have to take it with a grain of salt because it's always based on personal experience. It is impossible to survey an entire city or province to objectively come to a conclusion.

Then maybe you shouldn't be coming here and making definitive statements about how an entire region
I2) Marchand is not a superstar in Montreal/Quebec. From his days in junior, everyone hated him. They still do.
feels about a player, hmmm?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
My friend in MTL has been the biggest Lucic hater for years. Lucic was in the city not too long ago and my friend happened to meet him and take a bunch of photos with Lucic at an event. Now he loves Lucic and is going on and on how he met him, how about that?

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Then maybe you shouldn't be coming here and making definitive statements about how an entire region feels about a player, hmmm?

And re-read the part before that where I said to take it with a grain of salt.

And you don't have to get defensive, I believe I am within my rights to post here while maintaining civil discussions.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

And you don't have to get defensive, I believe I am within my rights to post here while maintaining civil discussions.

So you made a definitive statement about how much one of our players is hated, with no clarification that it was a purely subjective? You then get called on it, and retroactively tell me to "take it with a grain of salt" in my team's forum?

Well I guess that is your idea of "civil discussion", but I call it being obnoxious and taking pot shots at our players for no good reason, and relying on the "that was the sentiment from my interactions with people" card for defense. :shakehead

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
So you made a definitive statement about how much one of our players is hated, with no clarification that it was a purely subjective? You then get called on it, and retroactively tell me to "take it with a grain of salt" in my team's forum?

Well I guess that is your idea of "civil discussion", but I call it being obnoxious and taking pot shots at our players for no good reason, and relying on the "that was the sentiment from my interactions with people" card for defense. :shakehead

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless I'm kissing his ass, I should just keep my opinions to myself I guess.

And did I not call Marchand a great hockey player? But sure, keep trying to paint me as a no-good troll. Some people will never be happy.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

How dare you give your opinion on a message board?!?!?!?!? :laugh:

He might have been using hyperbole when saying that everybody hates him but to act like you own these boards is hilarious. Calm down.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless I'm kissing his ass, I should just keep my opinions to myself I guess.

And did I not call Marchand a great hockey player? But sure, keep trying to paint me as a no-good troll. Some people will never be happy.

How dare you give your opinion on a message board?!?!?!?!? :laugh:

He might have been using hyperbole when saying that everybody hates him but to act like you own these boards is hilarious. Calm down.

Personally I've never visited the boards of another team, never mind that of a rival, to either pump up my favorites or denigrate one of theirs. It is a subtle skill to balance between contributor and troll, and aside from Whitesnake and a couple others, not many master it.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008

Personally I've never visited the boards of another team, never mind that of a rival, to either pump up my favorites or denigrate one of theirs. It is a subtle skill to balance between contributor and troll, and aside from Whitesnake and a couple others, not many master it.

Let's put aside the animosity. My intention was not insult or denigrate anyone.

If you re-read my original post, it was meant to be part information and part opinionated. I was mainly correcting the other poster who mentioned Brad Marchand was seen as a superstar in Quebec, which I believe he is not and this due to my interactions with others who feel the same way. I cannot speak for an entire population, you are right. But I would add nuance to the initial statement made by the original poster I was referring to.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Just to put it in perspective, beach club is owned and operated by the Hell's Angels. Has been since the late 90's. It's mostly a lot of people dancing and having fun, about 50% of whom are still up from the night before. An absolute ton of drugs flowing through that place, it's legendary for that.

Again it's not the kind of place you'd want your leadership group in, and you'd never see Chara/Bergeron/Krejci in a place like that.

But Brad is Brad, what you gonna do. He probably went because of a girl (that's 95% of the reasons any guy is there).

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Just to put it in perspective, beach club is owned and operated by the Hell's Angels. Has been since the late 90's. It's mostly a lot of people dancing and having fun, about 50% of whom are still up from the night before. An absolute ton of drugs flowing through that place, it's legendary for that.

Again it's not the kind of place you'd want your leadership group in, and you'd never see Chara/Bergeron/Krejci in a place like that.

But Brad is Brad, what you gonna do. He probably went because of a girl (that's 95% of the reasons any guy is there).

Not anymore: http://canadanightlife.ca/2015/01/n...nvesting-1-5-million-turn-miami-styled-oasis/

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Let's put aside the animosity. My intention was not insult or denigrate anyone.

If you re-read my original post, it was meant to be part information and part opinionated. I was mainly correcting the other poster who mentioned Brad Marchand was seen as a superstar in Quebec, which I believe he is not and this due to my interactions with others who feel the same way. I cannot speak for an entire population, you are right. But I would add nuance to the initial statement made by the original poster I was referring to.

I'm sure we can figure out for ourselves that a significant portion of Quebec "hates" Marchand, even if they do piss themselves fawning over him when they actually meet him.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Geez, you guys pile on fast.

In defense of Jack Bourdain, people for the most part in Quebec are not "fond" of Brad Marchand. I think hate is a strong word but he is clearly recognizable, as a Bruin, and as a pest/Bruin, as a pest/Bruin who has a rivalry with Subban. These things will not suddenly disappear during the off season. That being said, he's still an NHL player and a Canadian so there are other reasons to like him. I don't think he has star status like as though Crosby were partying but he definitely has status.

He seems to have fun, tips well so who are we to say where he can go and can't. He just seemed to be having fun.

People take the rivalry too seriously. I remember back in the early 90s, Doug Gilmour was walking down St Catherines with what was maybe the best looking woman in the universe. Being an avid hockey fan, I scowled at him in disgust because his flames put down the habs in '89. What did he do? Gave me twice as nasty a scowl and took a step towards me to lay hands on me. Was kinda scary in retrospect because Gilmour was a solid guy with a mean streak.

Point is, we can like and dislike players but this hate business is a bad idea because it's an overreaction and will likely get your butt handed to you.

That's right, chances are Krejci or Plekanec could pummel you to bits, let alone Marchand, Subban or Gilmour. So simple dislike is much safer.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast

In defense of Jack Bourdain, people for the most part in Quebec are not "fond" of Brad Marchand. I think hate is a strong word but he is clearly recognizable, as a Bruin, and as a pest/Bruin, as a pest/Bruin who has a rivalry with Subban. These things will not suddenly disappear during the off season. That being said, he's still an NHL player and a Canadian so there are other reasons to like him. I don't think he has star status like as though Crosby were partying but he definitely has status.

He seems to have fun, tips well so who are we to say where he can go and can't. He just seemed to be having fun.

People take the rivalry too seriously. I remember back in the early 90s, Doug Gilmour was walking down St Catherines with what was maybe the best looking woman in the universe. Being an avid hockey fan, I scowled at him in disgust because his flames put down the habs in '89. What did he do? Gave me twice as nasty a scowl and took a step towards me to lay hands on me. Was kinda scary in retrospect because Gilmour was a solid guy with a mean streak.

Point is, we can like and dislike players but this hate business is a bad idea because it's an overreaction and will likely get your butt handed to you.

That's right, chances are Krejci or Plekanec could pummel you to bits, let alone Marchand, Subban or Gilmour. So simple dislike is much safer.

Wait wait, so what you're saying is, let's all be nicer because an NHL player could kick our ass in real life? :laugh:

By the way, Doug Gilmour seems like a decent guy to me. I have to wonder what you were doing.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I've got a 13 year old nephew who I guarantee can kick the Turtleneck's ass, and his twin sister could probably score a draw on hockeyfights.com. :laugh:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

The problem with fans - and that includes sports, music, acting, whatever - is that many think everyone has the same priorities as they do. Certainly there are a lot of hockey fans in Montreal, but in a setting like that, there are undoubtedly many people who don't know who Marchand is, and couldn't care less.

I was in a bar in Belfast some years ago, chatting with a friend, when the bartender interrupted us, literally quivering with excitement. "Look!" she hissed, pointing to a guy a few seats down. We looked, then looked at each other. "So?" I asked. "Don't you know who that IS!!??" Er, no. Some singer, she informed us; neither of us had heard of him. "DON'T YOU WANT HIS AUTOGRAPH?!" She was almost beside herself. We were laughing by that time. No, not really. :laugh:

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
No one really knows what Marchand was doing in the video. Most people could care less. People yap about what weasels the poperatie(sp) are yet the run around doing the same crap taking unauthorized videos looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Get a grip people. You all done a hell of a lot worse than this. Mother Teresa is alive and well on these forums.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The problem with fans - and that includes sports, music, acting, whatever - is that many think everyone has the same priorities as they do. Certainly there are a lot of hockey fans in Montreal, but in a setting like that, there are undoubtedly many people who don't know who Marchand is, and couldn't care less.

I was in a bar in Belfast some years ago, chatting with a friend, when the bartender interrupted us, literally quivering with excitement. "Look!" she hissed, pointing to a guy a few seats down. We looked, then looked at each other. "So?" I asked. "Don't you know who that IS!!??" Er, no. Some singer, she informed us; neither of us had heard of him. "DON'T YOU WANT HIS AUTOGRAPH?!" She was almost beside herself. We were laughing by that time. No, not really. :laugh:

Way back in 1970 my dad, a commercial artist, painted a few watercolors of Bobby Orr as an exercise in color. When my brother was attending Orr's sports camp, my dad had my sister and I ask Bobby to sign one of the paintings. I was 5 years old, and I have never asked for another autograph in my life. Once you have the signature of a God, scribblings from mere mortals simply lose their appeal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad