Confirmed with Link: Brad Larsen Named Head Coach (Pascal Vincent, Steve McCarthy Hired as Assistants)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
It's a move that makes sense, even if it's not the most exciting. Good luck Brad.

Imagine if he got a gig somewhere else down the line and made an immediate impact for another club. This place would be on fire.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I like this for one reason - to me it signifies JD realizes the Jackets need to be rebuilt and they think Larsen will be good with the young guys. Hopefully he works out. the only guy interviewed who I would have preferred was Gallant.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
I am a Tampa Bay fan applauding the Jackets for NOT hiring an NHL coaching retread. Just my 2 cents for I never understood a team hiring a coach that has gotten fired 5 times before. My Lightning hired a newcomer with Jon Cooper. Good luck moving forward CBJ's!!!!

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I posted the other day that the list looked a little short on candidates and that they might as well hire Larsen. I hope he channels the advice in my post.

In reality it was an obvious and easy decision. This gives them a 2 year timeframe to begin the rebuild the team without having to overspend on a new to the organization head coach versus Larsen who just wants a chance. He wouldn't be my choice but this gives me hope they are going to be patient and do this right.

Wish him well and look forward to his assistant announcements.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
They likely plan to gut the roster so not going to be a ton of options to oversee that process. Maybe Larsen has the lottery magic.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
It will be interesting to see what Larsen's approach towards Laine will be. When Laine told one of the coaches to f*** off in one of his first games here I'm assuming that it was meant for Larsen.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Now add Jalonen as an assistant, and we have a huge upgrade over Torts for this team and personnel. Excited for the first time in a while for the #cbj . I was listening to scouching last night he said Quinn and Tocchet were as bad as Torts with line changing/ blending

On Scouch's YouTube? Was there data behind that.

In any case I'm beyond excited to see what Lars can do. Hopefully the Chemistry-Killer 3000 LineblenderTM is a thing of the past.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like this for one reason - to me it signifies JD realizes the Jackets need to be rebuilt and they think Larsen will be good with the young guys. Hopefully he works out. the only guy interviewed who I would have preferred was Gallant.

Maybe it signifies that. I'm also just not ruling out that they think Lars is going to be a great coach in this league. We wouldn't know.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
That was the blue jacket way because that's what the roster makeup consisted of and that worked under torts style of play. But now that the roster is much more skilled they need a new style of play to go with it

This is the way

Reactions: CBJx614

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Good signing. I reckon reading somewhere Larsen wasn't a fan of Tortorella's constant line juggling and benching. The same system without the line juggling and uncertainty is already an improvement. Add Jalonen or someone cheap as assistant who is good with strategy to help improve the power play and things start to look interesting.

Reactions: CBJx614

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just don't understand why you would go through a year with a lame duck coach if this is the direction you wanted to go. If you liked Larsen, you had a perfect chance to fire Torts and see a trial run of Larsen as HC. Pretty clear error by management.

Been thinking about this. Is it possible they didn’t know Larsen was the guy until they did the interviews?

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Been thinking about this. Is it possible they didn’t know Larsen was the guy until they did the interviews?

He's been our AC for seven years, the team is suddenly struggling while Torts is flailing around. It's Jarmo's job to keep communication open with the Brads to know exactly what has gone wrong. He should already know what Lars thinks about everything.

If you want to hear a theory - Jarmo wasn't fully sold on Lars, but JD was.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
This screams rebuild with the cheapest option and see how it goes to me.

I just hope he's a better HC than a PP and forward coach.

Good luck Brad.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad