Confirmed with Link: Brad Larsen Named Head Coach (Pascal Vincent, Steve McCarthy Hired as Assistants)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That was the blue jacket way because that's what the roster makeup consisted of and that worked under torts style of play. But now that the roster is much more skilled they need a new style of play to go with it
Which isn't that why we questioned the Larsen option to begin with?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I have no problem with this, well, they could have just let Torts walk and they could be a year into this already, but whatever.

I hope he does well, and I hope the higher ups keep their distance and let him do his job. As long as it isn't a one and done and the coaching carousel doesn't start up.

This is probably what he has been working for, and now he has his chance. I wish him good luck and hope for the best, but he has some work to do.

Reactions: DJA

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I like the hire. Makes no sense to get a Gallant when we’re rebuilding. Hire the guy who knows the room and who the guys probably like. I don’t see what’s so terrible about this when we’re resigned to sucking for a couple years anyway. What difference does it make? Maybe he’ll surprise us.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
No doubt as little money as they could. :sarcasm:

I figured they would go the cheap route a couple of weeks ago. I can live with it.

There is a part of me that is starting to think it will be Larsen. JD comes back, Jarmo is extended, everyone has a come to Jesus meeting to evaluate where we really are, they meet with Jones people, and then they decide to go with the internal guy as they rebuild. He is happy for the job and doesn’t cost too much. Everyone is comfortable with him, and he already knows what is really going on. If he turns out to be great, that is wonderful. If not, cut him lose in a couple of years and you don’t owe him millions.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
It's fine, but they had so many opportunities to give him a real audition for the role and instead opted to waste the year.

As for Larsen himself, I have no earthly idea whether its a good hire or not. Some of the best hires in sports history have underwhelmed at first. His track record as a head coach is good, his history as our assistant is not very good. So it can go both ways, to be honest.

I have serious questions about ownership and their investment in the team. There is no reason he wasn't installed as interim head coach last year other than the team was cheap.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'll cut Larsen a little slack since everyone seems to now claim Torts is the one who held the offense back.

Larsen doesn't even need to be top 10 right now. I'll take a top 15 powerplay next year before I can even remotely consider the belief that Torts was 100% the reason we offensively sucked.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
The tank is on. No reason to hire Gallant or Tocchet to coach a sad-sack team for a few years. Hire a guy that's been loyal, the players like, and will come at a low price. Once the team gets good again Larsen will have to show he can win or he'll be shown the door in favor of a higher rung coach. Hope it works out.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm glad that everyone in Jacketland is ok with Larsen as the coach. The real question becomes are you also willing to invest thousands of dollars a year for tickets for the 3 year rebuild. Personally, I am a junkie and will go to a few games per year but it will not be to the extent that I have in the past. I have really enjoyed watching some of the other teams play. May take a few trips to Vegas next year around Golden Knights games.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
He might have had a winning record in ahl but his players didn't put up crazy points. Underwhelming signing

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The excitement generated on the Mains is overwhelming! Almost up to a full page of comments.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Which isn't that why we questioned the Larsen option to begin with?
Nobody outside of Larsen and management has any idea of what he wants to do. Most everyone who is upset immediately points to "well, well...the powerplay!"

There's more to being a head coach and he's run more than just the powerplay. He wouldn't be where he's at otherwise...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Nobody outside of Larsen and management has any idea of what he wants to do. Most everyone who is upset immediately points to "well, well...the powerplay!"

There's more to being a head coach and he's run more than just the powerplay. He wouldn't be where he's at otherwise...
Correct. He was also in charge of the forwards too and those players have undergone a constant regression. But we can blame all that on Torts too.

I consider Larsen guilty by association. I would have much rather preferred we completely cleaned house. We replaced all of the grit on the team with people who are soft and I haven't seen anything that makes me think any of them were the right fit to remain. I'm really curious to hear the Jarmo spin on why he is the right choice and not a continuation of Torts. I'd also better not hear the words "loyalty" and "wants to be here" involved.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad