Trade: Brad Hand and Adam Cimber to Indians for Francisco Mejia

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
OMG. Indians are going all in fixing their biggest weakness. Cimber is a nice pen arm too and comes with 5 (!) years of control beyond this year. Mejia has not hit as expected at AAA but is still only 22.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
If Miller can be just 70% of what he was in 2016, the complexion of the Indians bullpen completely changes. From 1 guy you can truly trust to perhaps 4. Looks like Miller's about to return as he's on a rehab assignment.

They have the SP to win it all. 2 awesome players in Lindor and Ramirez who can carry a team. Brantley is good. Now they need to get another OF as CF and RF have been quite weak.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
With Miller and Allen both walking at the end of this year, this is probably the best shot the Tribe will have. Hand and Cimber are controllable beyond this year and the Tribe's window will probably be open for another 2-3 years but this is their best shot.

I hear Mejia's defense isn't that great and there's concerns about him handling catching duties at in the Majors? I've heard corner OF or 1B might be in his future in the Show which makes his bat signifcantly less valuable but he'll still be a good hitter.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't think Mejia will stay at catcher, either. After seeing this, I don't think the Padres got enough in return even though Mejia was probably a top 30ish prospect entering the season.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Fwiw and not sure how true apparently devers was the ask from boston for same package. Twitter is saying this everywhere

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't think Mejia will stay at catcher, either. After seeing this, I don't think the Padres got enough in return even though Mejia was probably a top 30ish prospect entering the season.
It'll be interesting to see what happens considering his apparent unwillingness to commit to multiple positions.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Big time move for the Indians. I was expecting them to add a controlled closer so they can go for it this year and then lose Allen and Miller this winter with a replacement in place.

The great AL arms race begins.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I meant that I don't think he'll stick at catcher. The Padres could keep giving him chances behind the plate, but I don't think he'll be able to stay there.

He has a plus arm and his receiving skills have improved to the point they are at least average. Has the tools to remain behind the plate. The knock on him is that he's a smaller guy. Can he handle the rigors of 100-120 games a season?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Mistake from Padres, Mejia is not that good

They obviously like him a lot. And TBH they probably know a lot more about him than you or I. They could have got a package of lesser but more prospects and they chose the Quality over Quantity when giving up two good controllable players. I guess we'll see.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He has a plus arm and his receiving skills have improved to the point they are at least average. Has the tools to remain behind the plate. The knock on him is that he's a smaller guy. Can he handle the rigors of 100-120 games a season?

You think so? I mean, I've never seen any of these guys play, so I'm just going off of scouting reports. The last time I looked, his defense behind the plate was below average. I know that his arm is really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad