Confirmed with Link: Brad Boyes and Tom Gilbert have signed.

Jan 19, 2006
A lot of people scratched their heads when Tallon said that he would get most of his signings done later in the process, but I really like all of these pickups (including Barch). It's hard to say anyone could have done better with a low budget and 1-year low risk deals for hopefully quality players is fantastic.

Actually we scratched our heads when he made his "going with the kids" comment.

These are the kind of moves I expect from Tallon... so long as he has an owner willing to spend a reasonable amount to field an NHL quality roster.

The $5-6M he has spent on these three signings are in line with the $5M (minimum) number we brought up in a threads a while back.

So far, Tallon has checked all (almost) our boxes....

veteran C - Gomez - check - adequately fits need and cheap
veteran G - Thomas - way beyond what we expected
veteran W (per MR, not on my list) - Boyes - check
veteran D #1 - Gilbert - check
veteran D #2 - pending

Strong work by the wizard.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
IDK... He's pretty old, and has a lot of money, he may opt out of riding those buses as an old man.

Jovo is a respected leader in the locker room though, I think that would be detrimental to the team. He's gone in 1-2 years anyway. Besides, he's not any worse than the alternatives right now. Petrovic isn't ready for the NHL, Robak isn't any better than Jovo right now, Mottau and Gilroy are definitely worse.

I wouldn´t get hopes up too much for Gilbert, there is a reason Edmonton (lol) and the Wild let him go. Not really a quality player, more like a gap filler at the moment since the young guys still need development.

From what I gather, Edmonton traded him for Schultz because they wanted a more gritty stay at home type since they already had a lot of puckmovers. Wild fans like Gilbert, they just say his contract was too much for what he brought. Which is easy to see, he's not a 4M d-man. He was paid according to his 40 pt. career year, when in reality he's not going to produce every year like he did that year. I think he can still be a good #4-5 guy though, which is a welcome addition to this blueline.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Jovo is a respected leader in the locker room though, I think that would be detrimental to the team. He's gone in 1-2 years anyway. Besides, he's not any worse than the alternatives right now. Petrovic isn't ready for the NHL, Robak isn't any better than Jovo right now, Mottau and Gilroy are definitely worse.

From what I gather, Edmonton traded him for Schultz because they wanted a more gritty stay at home type since they already had a lot of puckmovers. Wild fans like Gilbert, they just say his contract was too much for what he brought. Which is easy to see, he's not a 4M d-man. He was paid according to his 40 pt. career year, when in reality he's not going to produce every year like he did that year. I think he can still be a good #4-5 guy though, which is a welcome addition to this blueline.

Agree on Gilbert, with ice time permitting, I don't see why he can't score 30 pts this season with #1 PP time.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Sorry Panther fans, as I come in peace, but you soon realize what made Brad Boyes half decent last year - and his names is John Tavares; which obviously you have nobody close to that on the team. No upgrade - Desperate move for a desperate team. I wish Panthers nothing but success; but smh, when will this team learn.

Like hell you do!!

1101429-gtfo3bp.jpg

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Thomas, Boyes and Gilbert (and Goc) could all be nice cheap rentals at the deadline if we don't make it to the post-season, Win-Win all around since they are only 1-year deals. :cheers:

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Sorry Panther fans, as I come in peace, but you soon realize what made Brad Boyes half decent last year - and his names is John Tavares; which obviously you have nobody close to that on the team. No upgrade - Desperate move for a desperate team. I wish Panthers nothing but success; but smh, when will this team learn.

Really because if you extrapolate Huberdeau's rookie year out to a full 82 games it would be pretty identical to Tavares' rookie year. And if you watched the Panthers last year you would have seen all chances Huberdeau setup for his teammates that they just couldn't finish on. They got a guy who scored 35 points in a 48 game season for (in my best Dr Evil voice) 1 million dollars. If all he does is clean up Huberdeau's slop I'll be happy with that because we didn't have anybody that could do that last year.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Really because if you extrapolate Huberdeau's rookie year out to a full 82 games it would be pretty identical to Tavares' rookie year. And if you watched the Panthers last year you would have seen all chances Huberdeau setup for his teammates that they just couldn't finish on. They got a guy who scored 35 points in a 48 game season for (in my best Dr Evil voice) 1 million dollars. If all he does is clean up Huberdeau's slop I'll be happy with that because we didn't have anybody that could do that last year.

Well said, now he just needs to be played with Huberdeau lol.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN

lol Islander fans :help:

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

Sorry fishfry fan, although i will concede you are an expert on desperate teams being a brooklyn islander fan, but you'll soon realize that huby will do just fine with him.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

Islanders fans said the same exact thing about P.A. Parenteau last year.

Parenteau scored 43 pts in 48 games last year and led the Avalanche in scoring. a 74 point pace over 82 games.

Boyes isn't as good as Parenteau is, but still will be productive. Be gone, troll

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I understand where Isles fans are coming from, but at the same time I rather just see Boyes for myself, and if it proves true, so be it. What they don't understand is our lack of finishing ability, and nobody can really claim that Boyes isn't a finisher, because he is. The biggest criticism I have seen is his liability with the puck. Well if we don't count on him to carry the puck, but instead finish close in, what's the big freakin deal? All I want Boyes to do is be around the slot and use his accurate shot to score. I think everybody else generally feels the same way. For the longest time we have had a hard time finishing (part maybe Versteeg, Flash, and Huberdeau), having a guy who has a natural ability to beat goaltenders is worth adding to this line-up, regardless of the defensive liability.

It's $1m 1yr as well. We'll all just see how he works out. New environment, new team, clean slate.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Thomas got a no movement clause in his deal.
Yeah it'll be interesting, but I'll be shocked if Thomas said no to a trade to be in the playoffs again, since he only has so many playing years left in him....he'll dictate where he wants to play, which sucks for us, but better to get some kind of return for him.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Yeah it'll be interesting, but I'll be shocked if Thomas said no to a trade to be in the playoffs again, since he only has so many playing years left in him....he'll dictate where he wants to play, which sucks for us, but better to get some kind of return for him.

And what if WE are the team to be in the playoffs again?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I would think, with Kulikov and Gudbranson/Robak on the 2nd.

I think Robak has to earn that spot, and Gud's has killer PP numbers in pre-season...he takes that spot. How will Gud's and Kulikov's chemistry be on the PP2 unit (I worry about turnovers both when in the zone or not getting pucks through). Time will tell.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Huberdeau is. I don't recall Johnny boy putting up Crosby or Ovie numbers in his first couple years... but maybe that's just me:sarcasm:

Jan 19, 2006

Tavares rookie season...

82 games - 24 goals - 30 assists - 54 points

prorated to 48 games...

48 games - 14 goals - 17 assists - 31 points

Calder trophy? :shakehead nope

--------

Huberdeau rookie season

Calder trophy - :nod: yup
-----

Too bad the Panthers have noone like Tavares... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think Robak has to earn that spot, and Gud's has killer PP numbers in pre-season...he takes that spot. How will Gud's and Kulikov's chemistry be on the PP2 unit (I worry about turnovers both when in the zone or not getting pucks through). Time will tell.

Yeah, Robak will definitely have to earn it. I'm just saying those are the possibilities. Weaver doesn't have a chance to play on the PP lol. Kuli is OK at getting pucks through when he uses the wrister, which he's started to revert back to.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Tavares rookie season...

82 games - 24 goals - 30 assists - 54 points

prorated to 48 games...

48 games - 14 goals - 17 goals - 31 points

Calder trophy? :shakehead nope

--------

Huberdeau rookie season

Calder trophy - :nod: yup
-----

Too bad the Panthers have noone like Tavares... :sarcasm:

i hate when you are more mature than I am.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad