Confirmed with Link: Bozak to STL (3 years @ $5m)

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The Bozak signing was always a good move, just some people felt they had all the evidence they needed after a couple of months to declare the move a mistake. Depth matters. Some players go through ups and downs throughout the season, but ultimately you want these guys for the playoff push. It would be nice if they produce all season long but that's not usually how it goes.

Army had a brilliant off-season, so glad to see it pay off and prove so many wrong. And Bozak came here to win a Cup and raise his family in STL. He had faith in us, it would be pretty mean to trade him before his deal is up.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
What I find interesting is asking who has more value. Bozak or Schenn? I think it's safe to say that Bozak had more value because of his defensive responsibility and his faceoff numbers, but Schenn's ability to be a physical presence AND have the potential to be dynamic offensively is interesting. If we can lock up Petro and Schenn to respectable contracts, you do it, but then you have to ask who is more valuable, Bozak or Schenn?

I don’t think this is even debatable. Schenn is clearly more valuable & the better player.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don’t think this is even debatable. Schenn is clearly more valuable & the better player.
Depends on what you think is more important. If you think he's more valuable based on potential, then yea, I would have to agree. But Bozak outscored him these playoffs, tied him on pp points (not hard), had a higher faceoff %, tied him in goals, and played pretty good shutdown cycle hockey. Schenn, if he played up to his potential in these playoffs, would obviously be the more valuable player to your roster, but he will command a higher salary and could be pretty steep depending what happens next year. Oh, I forgot to mention Schenn had an immense physical impact, more than doubling Bozak's number in hits. I think that is valuable in the playoffs and it showed.

My point is whether you want to agree or not, I believe they are closer in value rather than further, or at least as it stands right now.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Depends on what you think is more important. If you think he's more valuable based on potential, then yea, I would have to agree. But Bozak outscored him these playoffs, tied him on pp points (not hard), had a higher faceoff %, tied him in goals, and played pretty good shutdown cycle hockey. Schenn, if he played up to his potential in these playoffs, would obviously be the more valuable player to your roster, but he will command a higher salary and could be pretty steep depending what happens next year. Oh, I forgot to mention Schenn had an immense physical impact, more than doubling Bozak's number in hits. I think that is valuable in the playoffs and it showed.

My point is whether you want to agree or not, I believe they are closer in value rather than further, or at least as it stands right now.

Well did Bozak catch a puck with his hand and throw it down the ice like a baseball in his first Blues game??? I did not think so, its clearly Schenn :)

Reactions: hockensm77

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Schenn’s line drew tougher matchups for most of the postseason, and did a good job neutralizing the opponents best players too.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Don't think counting stats over a small sample size and faceoff percentage are sufficient evaluation tools, especially when not even taking matchups into account.

Schenn >>>>>>>>>> Bozak

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I've been a defender of Bozak's contract all season and I thought he had a very good playoffs.

However, if Steen won't waive his NTC then Bozak is my 1st choice to move if the Blues want to add this summer rather than just bringing the same/similar group back for another try. I think Thomas was the main driver of the 3rd line's success and I believe he is ready to transition to center in a 3rd line role. I'd much, much rather try to extend Schenn than move Schenn in favor of Bozak and I think we could get a decent asset for Bozak. A 40 point guy coming off a Cup win has value. Even if you don't like the AAV, it's just 2 years so I think there would easily be more than 10 teams looking to trade a decent asset for him (he has a 10 team no-trade list).

With that said, I hope we keep him. I'm of the opinion that the Blues shouldn't be looking to make a big splash this summer and should still be viewing Steen/Bozak/Allen as depth luxuries we can afford. All three of those guys are valuable in the proper role if you ignore their contracts and I believe that our cap is structured in a way that allows us to largely ignore their contracts for 19/20. Assuming Schenn gets extended, then I look to move Bozak next summer. If we can't reach an agreement with Schenn, then I probably want Bozak to finish his contract here.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
It was a good signing for a 3rd line Center, had we not gotten ROR, I think it would been different looking back.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I've been a defender of Bozak's contract all season and I thought he had a very good playoffs.

However, if Steen won't waive his NTC then Bozak is my 1st choice to move if the Blues want to add this summer rather than just bringing the same/similar group back for another try. I think Thomas was the main driver of the 3rd line's success and I believe he is ready to transition to center in a 3rd line role. I'd much, much rather try to extend Schenn than move Schenn in favor of Bozak and I think we could get a decent asset for Bozak. A 40 point guy coming off a Cup win has value. Even if you don't like the AAV, it's just 2 years so I think there would easily be more than 10 teams looking to trade a decent asset for him (he has a 10 team no-trade list).

With that said, I hope we keep him. I'm of the opinion that the Blues shouldn't be looking to make a big splash this summer and should still be viewing Steen/Bozak/Allen as depth luxuries we can afford. All three of those guys are valuable in the proper role if you ignore their contracts and I believe that our cap is structured in a way that allows us to largely ignore their contracts for 19/20. Assuming Schenn gets extended, then I look to move Bozak next summer. If we can't reach an agreement with Schenn, then I probably want Bozak to finish his contract here.
Key phrase in your post is, “if you ignore their contracts”.

Otherwise, I am already ok with keeping Bozak.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I agree with this completely, with the caveat that I would move one of those guys if it gives the flexibility to upgrade Edmundson’s spot.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Key phrase in your post is, “if you ignore their contracts”.

Otherwise, I am already ok with keeping Bozak.

Which is why the rest of my sentence was, "and I believe that our cap is structured in a way that allows us to largely ignore their contracts for 19/20."

Unless you are the person signing the checks, a "bad contract" just isn't an issue until it prevents you from doing something that you wanted to do. I think our options this summer are limited by 20/21's raises/structure more than the cap space this year, so I just don't view $5 mil for Bozak as any type of problem.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Since we like bumping old threads around here I figured I would get in on the fun.

I will admit I was a little ehh on the $ for the contract but I can actually say I am pretty happy with Bozak. Pretty consistent for the most part and always good to have that C depth.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Since we like bumping old threads around here I figured I would get in on the fun.

I will admit I was a little ehh on the $ for the contract but I can actually say I am pretty happy with Bozak. Pretty consistent for the most part and always good to have that C depth.
I thought he was slightly overpaid for production he gave last year but not that bad of a contract. He also looks right now like he is going to have a better season than last year and get closer to his career averages after a slow start.

Reactions: BuLLeT1291

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was pretty 'meh" about both the Perron and Bozak signings, and I am very happy to be proven wrong. With that said, something has to give to re-sign Pietrangelo. If it is not Bozak, then who is it?

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I was pretty 'meh" about both the Perron and Bozak signings, and I am very happy to be proven wrong. With that said, something has to give to re-sign Pietrangelo. If it is not Bozak, then who is it?

Unfortunately, as much as I like Bozie, I think it’ll be him and Jake who are gone. I don’t think Steen will retire, be bought out, or traded..but at least he’ll only have one year left, where he can be our 13th guy when fully healthy(lol imagine).

I expect our forward group to look something like this next season.

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Blais-Thomas-Kostin
MacEachern-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Steen, de la Rose

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Unfortunately, as much as I like Bozie, I think it’ll be him and Jake who are gone. I don’t think Steen will retire, be bought out, or traded..but at least he’ll only have one year left, where he can be our 13th guy when fully healthy(lol imagine).

I expect our forward group to look something like this next season.

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Blais-Thomas-Kostin
MacEachern-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Steen, de la Rose
I agree with this. And Dunn on a bridge deal.

Bouwmeester is a question mark, but he seems to enjoy playing and has said he made a deal with his wife he could play until he was 40. He turned 36 in September. I see him as taking a series of 1 year deals. Unless he is surpassed by Mikkola or another young guy, I don’t see the D corps changing until the expansion draft.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Was going to post something similar last night. We need to be prepared for the fact that there will be someone missing from the roster next season that we didn't want to lose. Just moving Allen isn't going to be enough unless we're moving on from Petro.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Barring a much bigger cap increase than expected or another unforeseen move, two of Allen, Steen and Bozak will have to go in order to extend Petro.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I agree with this. And Dunn on a bridge deal.

Bouwmeester is a question mark, but he seems to enjoy playing and has said he made a deal with his wife he could play until he was 40. He turned 36 in September. I see him as taking a series of 1 year deals. Unless he is surpassed by Mikkola or another young guy, I don’t see the D corps changing until the expansion draft.

Yep exactly this.

I could see Gunnarsson moved as well just to save an extra 800-900k in cap, and let Mikkola/Reinke battle for the 6th spot in the lineup.

Dunn will likely get a bridge deal for a year or two, since Steen’s contract will likely still be on the books for next year.

Assuming Petro is back, I see these as our pairings next year

Faulk-Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Mikkola
Bortuzzo

or

Faulk-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Reinke
Bortuzzo

Ad

Upcoming events