Bozak Player Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Isn't he usually highest PPG center the Leafs have?

Too bad he can't stay healthy.

That's not really accurate looking at 2012 onward the most games a Leaf has played is 223 Bozak has played 195. He's not really injury prone Lupul on the other hand has played 153..

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Absolute GARBAGE player! That OT goal was all on him. He stands ****ing still at the blue line against his man who had speed and decides to fling a limp-wristed ****ing poke check at him? What the **** is that ****??? If you're going to try to stand him up at the blue line use your ****ing body for **** sake, and don't be standing still. I can't believe that some media types still try to sell this clown as a two way player.

Hey some goals he certainly deserves the blame on that goal was on JVR.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Absolute GARBAGE player! That OT goal was all on him. He stands ****ing still at the blue line against his man who had speed and decides to fling a limp-wristed ****ing poke check at him? What the **** is that ****??? If you're going to try to stand him up at the blue line use your ****ing body for **** sake, and don't be standing still. I can't believe that some media types still try to sell this clown as a two way player.

This isnt the JVR thread... .

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I don't think his value is low. 2nd rounder? I dunno maybe under the right circumstances. But he's certainly worth more than like a 5th.

To a team looking to make a late run, needing a guy who can win the late faceoff and chip in 40-50 pt pace, his contract is certainly palatable.

He wont get us what say a Kadri or JVR might, but he certainly would get us much more than a 7th if we take on a bad contract or whatever other garbage is being spewed.

I firmly believe hed get a second at the deadline.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Hey some goals he certainly deserves the blame on that goal was on JVR.

JVR had his head up his ass, not recognizing that he needed to switch his man from Zetterberg to Kindl, but it was Bozak's terrible effort to check Kindl that started the whole sequence of events. That just can't happen at the NHL level. You can't just do a stand-still limp-wristed stick wave and pray (calling it a "stick check" would be far too generous). Bozak didn't even slow the guy down for ****'s sake. He was literally worse than useless on that play, he'd have been better off sitting at the other team's blue line so at least his teammates would know to expect the 3-on-2 and defend accordingly.

I'm a lot more willing to forgive a player (JVR) for failing to cover for another guy's mistake than the guy who made the initial mistake, especially when the initial mistake was one of pure and utter laziness. Bozak didn't even try.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
To a team looking to make a late run, needing a guy who can win the late faceoff and chip in 40-50 pt pace, his contract is certainly palatable.

He wont get us what say a Kadri or JVR might, but he certainly would get us much more than a 7th if we take on a bad contract or whatever other garbage is being spewed.

I firmly believe hed get a second at the deadline.

40-50 point pace is extremely aggressive for Bozak. He'll finish around 35 at best, I think.

He's getting very lucky with his points. Hasn't done anything impressive since he returned from injury.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
40-50 point pace is extremely aggressive for Bozak. He'll finish around 35 at best, I think.

He's getting very lucky with his points. Hasn't done anything impressive since he returned from injury.

Right. Very lucky. And Kadri very unlucky. Got it. Anything that helps you sleep at night.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Doesnt he have 5 pts in 9 games?

Seems right up there with his expected ppg no?

I don't get it either, I was told without Kessel Bozak would produce almost no points now he has 5 in 9 and you have some people saying he should sit in favour of Holland who has 2 points in the same amount of games..

It's honestly just bizarre at this point watching the mental gymnastics.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I thought he had 4 points, not 5.

Regardless, at only 9 games played we have yet to really see how he is able to fair this season given different linemates and a new role on the team.

OvenMittz*

You see this is what annoys me.

He is producing well! regardless of this lucky, unlucky crap he is producing... 1 game sure luck can be a factor. But damn dude we are 13 games in..

What gives you or anybody the right to call Bozak "lucky" and Kadri "snake bitten/unlucky" for their production.

give credit when its due.. Bozak is producing and if he keeps getting "lucky" and Kadri stays "snake bitten", then he will work his way back to the top line again.

He may fizzle, and Kadri may heat up.. but call it like it is! enough already.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He is producing well! regardless of this lucky, unlucky crap he is producing... 1 game sure luck can be a factor. But damn dude we are 13 games in..

What gives you or anybody the right to call Bozak "lucky" and Kadri "snake bitten/unlucky" for their production.

give credit when its due.. Bozak is producing and if he keeps getting "lucky" and Kadri stays "snake bitten", then he will work his way back to the top line again.

Because you can look at tangible things like sh% to help see if a player is getting bad or good luck luck.

for example, Kadri is currently shooting at 2.2% which is like beer league bad. No NHL player shoots that awfully, so that relatively indicates that he's been getting poor luck.

Luck isn't something that is entirely subjective- there are metrics that help tell us if a player is going above or below their normal abilitities.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I don't get it either, I was told without Kessel Bozak would produce almost no points now he has 5 in 9 and you have some people saying he should sit in favour of Holland who has 2 points in the same amount of games..

It's honestly just bizarre at this point watching the mental gymnastics.

How many points you think he's going to put up this year?

I pegged him at 30-35 before the start of the season and I'm sticking with that prediction.

Let's hope I'm wrong though and he does put up some good totals so he can increase his trade value. I personally see us being stuck with this contract. Atleast it's not that awfully long.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
How many points you think he's going to put up this year?

I pegged him at 30-35 before the start of the season and I'm sticking with that prediction.

Let's hope I'm wrong though and he does put up some good totals so he can increase his trade value. I personally see us being stuck with this contract. Atleast it's not that awfully long.

I think 40-50 (closer to 40 but I can hope) points personally, less if he's injured but if he stayed healthy the rest of the season I see him around there. I'm also not convinced they trade him unless it's a good deal, like him or hate him Bozak is versatile and he seems to be the kind of player coaches like and we still need to ice a team.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I think 40-50 (closer to 40 but I can hope) points personally, less if he's injured but if he stayed healthy the rest of the season I see him around there. I'm also not convinced they trade him unless it's a good deal, like him or hate him Bozak is versatile and he seems to be the kind of player coaches like and we still need to ice a team.

That's where we disagree.

He's bad defensively and doesn't generate very much offense on his own. Watching Bozak last night was some premium blue-line floating that people bashed Kessel for all the time around here.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

I'm calling for Bozak to fizzle, just as he did last season.

His last two points came from a giveaway on the PP that deflected across the ice, and resulted in a great finish by Parenteau, and a shot that was stopped, and then rebounded back in off the goalie's butt-end.

I know that fans like you probably ignore the advanced stats for the most part. So, when you watch the game, are you actually seeing Bozak produce offense?

Do you only notice the plays that result in goals?

When I watch him, I see very little offense created. Most of the time, I barely notice that he's on the ice.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
That's where we disagree.

He's bad defensively and doesn't generate very much offense on his own. Watching Bozak last night was some premium blue-line floating that people bashed Kessel for all the time around here.

Eh fair enough difference in opinion keeps things interesting here but in all the time he's been here has a coach ever once said a bad thing about him? I know the media does the analytic crowd seems to hate him but I don't think I've ever heard his teammates, ex teammates or coaches ever say a bad word about the guy.

He seems to accept whatever role he's asked to do, doesn't complain about it, I think coaches tend to like players like him.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Eh fair enough difference in opinion keeps things interesting here but in all the time he's been here has a coach ever once said a bad thing about him? I know the media does the analytic crowd seems to hate him but I don't think I've ever heard his teammates, ex teammates or coaches ever say a bad word about the guy.

He seems to accept whatever role he's asked to do, doesn't complain about it, I think coaches tend to like players like him.

The coaches never said anything bad about David Clarkson either.

That's pretty poor grounds to prop up a player on.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

He's only ever been spoon-fed 1st line ES and PP minutes. What's there to complain about? Lol

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Because you can look at tangible things like sh% to help see if a player is getting bad or good luck luck.

for example, Kadri is currently shooting at 2.2% which is like beer league bad. No NHL player shoots that awfully, so that relatively indicates that he's been getting poor luck.

Luck isn't something that is entirely subjective- there are metrics that help tell us if a player is going above or below their normal abilitities.

Again back to this PDO thing, eh?

Kadri's career PDO is above 100. 100 is considered "normal" isn't it? Good and bad bounces equal out?

Simple math tells you that for him to have a career PDO at 100, when he is currently over 102… he will experience seasons with the PDO below 100 in order for his career average to come back down. Is this the season? We can't tell. But it could be.

If luck isn't "entirely subjective", it is certainly plausible to assume that a player that benefited from bounces may encounter a season somewhere down the road where the bounces don't go his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad