Bozak Player Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Fair enough. To your point though, why is it imperative to move Bozak and Lupul if we are not contending or being a cap team for a couple seasons and they would likely return more, without retention, at the TDL of the final season of their deals?
It seems impatient to me to use retentions on more than one player with 2+ years left on his deal since there is no immediate urgency to do so(Kessel being one already). Moving Bozak and/or Lupul this season will not make us contenders next season anyway. I would like them moved, but continuing to use our retentions, may leave us out on a bigger deal. If we retain on someone with 2+ years remaining, personally I want it to be because it was necessary to get a big deal done, not just because we want to add another late 2nd.

I still think having all 3 retentions used this season and two used up already for the next 2+ seasons is not the best idea because it is not necessary at this time. That's just me though.

Honestly, because they don't fit in. (and they tick me off ;) . but mostly because I think we could take the roster spots to audition for players who can support the core.

we can buy ourselves a few picks before they fall out of favour (Bozak - in this case talent wise, though he does bring some other aspects to the table - and Lupul - injury + age wise). may hay with the sunshine we've got.

again. using ALL of them (and we can't we only have one right now) isn't ideal, but at the same time, like i've said some people get so - omg we can't use them) as if there's always going to be a perfect time to use them. they are there TO be used. so use them. :)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Who cares? Trade both, it's a rebuild, look it up.

Hey, not opposed to Bozak being moved at all. He's not the future. He can be a bridge but not the future. If you can get assets, got for it. This is asset allocation mode.

Again who cares about value in relation to Kadri, you asked who cares if he plays well.

Not sure why you directed that at me. My reply was in response to this that was directed my way:

Bozak plays like **** = who cares?

Kadri has a good game save one mistake = sarcasm and smugness in the other thread.

"Unbiased."

RLF

May 5, 2014
Honestly, because they don't fit in. (and they tick me off ;) . but mostly because I think we could take the roster spots to audition for players who can support the core.

we can buy ourselves a few picks before they fall out of favour (Bozak - in this case talent wise, though he does bring some other aspects to the table - and Lupul - injury + age wise). may hay with the sunshine we've got.

again. using ALL of them (and we can't we only have one right now) isn't ideal, but at the same time, like i've said some people get so - omg we can't use them) as if there's always going to be a perfect time to use them. they are there TO be used. so use them. :)

Fair enough. They will be gone eventually either way. I will agree to disagree.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not sure why you directed that at me. My reply was in response to this that was directed my way:
...and my response, which you quoted, had no mention of Kadri but you circled back to that.

There's reason to care how Bozak plays. I told you why.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The problem with Bozak (outside of the 2-3 games where he played well this season) is that he doesn't provide any insulation during a rebuild.

His line is constantly hemmed in which is demoralizing to the team, and his utter lack of effort or hustle on loose pucks is something you don't want observed by younger players.

If he played half-decent, and could semi-manage playing against better players the way Nick Spaling has, for example, then I would be ok with keeping him around during a rebuild.

Ideally we want 2 other centers taking the tougher matchups away from Nylander so that he can ease into the league with less pressure.

Yet, here we are with Spaling matching up against the other teams top line, Kadri against the 2nd line, and Bozak still playing terrible.

As of now, Bozak a negative to have around.

This exactly

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The problem with Bozak (outside of the 2-3 games where he played well this season) is that he doesn't provide any insulation during a rebuild.

His line is constantly hemmed in which is demoralizing to the team, and his utter lack of effort or hustle on loose pucks is something you don't want observed by younger players.

If he played half-decent, and could semi-manage playing against better players the way Nick Spaling has, for example, then I would be ok with keeping him around during a rebuild.

Ideally we want 2 other centers taking the tougher matchups away from Nylander so that he can ease into the league with less pressure.

Yet, here we are with Spaling matching up against the other teams top line, Kadri against the 2nd line, and Bozak still playing terrible.

As of now, Bozak a negative to have around.

I agree. This is basically why I'd consider buying Bozak out after this season, if there is no available trade option. I'd also consider dropping him to the minors. Nylander will likely be up next year.

I don't want Bozak holding back his development. That roster spot needs to be cleared.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I agree. This is basically why I'd consider buying Bozak out after this season, if there is no available trade option. I'd also consider dropping him to the minors. Nylander will likely be up next year.

I don't want Bozak holding back his development. That roster spot needs to be cleared.

In my heart I want this, but Babcock keeps saying the Leafs will not be a development team in that way. There is a system and style being developed here, but players need to be here to play, not to learn.

I'm feeling more and more okay with letting the young guns stew in the minors until they're so irritated playing in the minors they give their ABSOLUTE ALL when they step on the ice for the Leafs.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I can't see us ever being able to trade Bozak. Every team must have 4 or 5 players in their system just like him already.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I can't see us ever being able to trade Bozak. Every team must have 4 or 5 players in their system just like him already.

It's very difficult to see him as anything but a 3rd line center on any other team. And at $4.2m, there is no incentive whatsoever to acquire him. I always expected this contract to end in a buy-out. For me, the only question is which team actually does it. Hopefully we can move him first.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd take a 4th/5th rounder for him if the Leafs don't have to retain salary. Being free of his contract is enough value in of itself.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Im willing to take wagers that should the Leafs trade him, he brings back at least a second. He'll never nab a first, but hes certainly got enough value for a second.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Im willing to take wagers that should the Leafs trade him, he brings back at least a second. He'll never nab a first, but hes certainly got enough value for a second.

Take that deal and run. I will drive him to the city that trades for him myself

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
i just can't see getting anything, at all, for Bozak, not even a 5th or whatever. maybe next year's deadline.

The amount Bozak is under valued is insane he currently at about .5 pts a game for centers that puts him around 40-50th looking at ppg not great, his faceoffs in that same group is in the top 5, number 4 I think but it's hard to tell how many above him are actually taking the same number of faceoffs and I don't care to check.

Many teams would value that. Bozak, Kadri whoever should be traded for a good deal that makes sense, just a fifth round pick would be a terrible deal.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

No team in the league would offer a 2nd for him.

I'd actually be very surprised if we could get a 7th without taking some of his salary on.

His market value is negative. If it wasn't, he'd already be gone. It's a sad case, but it's true.

The Leafs went searching for 2nd round picks at the deadline, as reported by Bob McKenzie. I'm sure they inquired this summer as well. There are definitely no takers for a 2nd rounder.

The fact is, you can get equally talented players for much less money on the UFA market every year. Why on earth would you trade for Bozak at his current salary?

At this point he's here because we don't need the roster spot. No need to buy him out just yet. That will likely change next season if Nylander comes up.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If Bozak was playing in his last year of his contract, we could move him at the trade deadline. This year it would have to be a hockey trade and I just do not see that happening unless we add a sweetener.

Admiring Myself

Jul 21, 2015
You're pure revisionism. Kessel and Kadri were better together than Kessel and Bozak were. The numbers don't lie my friend.

You're wrong.

his scoring rate was near identical to bozak and the defining advanced stat difference was a marginal improvement in possession and even strength numbers over 515 minutes compared to bozaks ~3200 over the same time span. maybe youd prefer i call it mediocre? they should both be trade bait.

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Another point for Bozak, regardless of where he belongs in the lineup he's still proving he doesn't need Kessel to get points curious to see where he'd be if if he hadn't missed those 4 games.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Absolute GARBAGE player! That OT goal was all on him. He stands ****ing still at the blue line against his man who had speed and decides to fling a limp-wristed ****ing poke check at him? What the **** is that ****??? If you're going to try to stand him up at the blue line use your ****ing body for **** sake, and don't be standing still. I can't believe that some media types still try to sell this clown as a two way player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad