Boycott the NHL Playoffs

Michael Hockey

Jun 4, 2012
A better procedure, like some have already said, would be to...

boycott the NHL during the olympics.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This guy gets it :handclap:

Best post in this thread by far.

I enjoyed the NHL players at the Olympics. But there is no doubt the IOC and their business model is as corrupt and foul as it gets and the Olympics do more long-term harm than good for the cities that host them.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Adding to that. I never watch Rugby. Awesome sport I never really watch. But I did watch the World Cup and I actually cared about it and cheered for different teams and loved the underdog and learned more about the sport. I watched some Rugby Sevens. Now I like the sport in an outsider country. I am in awe of the New Zealanders. I even care about Women's Rugby.

The NHL is pissing on this here. They are a group of billionaires that want more profits. Well here you get millions of Asians with a ton of money to see and fall in love with your sport. Care about it. Become even just sort of fans of it. You sell road hockey sticks to kids and skates and it just is a massive financial long term win. It might be a 3 week loss of revenues very shory term. But you will get that back ten or twentyfold over time.

Myopic and dumb move NHL. Sens fan. I support Erik Karlsson screwimg off to play for Sweden in February 2018. Miss 6 or 7 games. Just go. Screw the NHL here.

I hope the players revolt on this. We already missed a season and half of two others. NHL does not give a ****. Ovechkin just screw off and play for Russia. I will support and Sen from any country that does the same next winter.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Whether or not I, as an individual, boycott the NHL playoffs isn't going to have any effect whatsoever on the NHL's choice. If y'all want to band together collectively as a movement to try to put pressure on the NHL, that's cool, but my participation or non-participation in that boycott isn't going to change a thing

I'll be enjoying my NHL playoffs, thank you

Michael Hockey

Jun 4, 2012
Adding to that. I never watch Rugby. Awesome sport I never really watch. But I did watch the World Cup and I actually cared about it and cheered for different teams and loved the underdog and learned more about the sport. I watched some Rugby Sevens. Now I like the sport in an outsider country. I am in awe of the New Zealanders. I even care about Women's Rugby.

The NHL is pissing on this here. They are a group of billionaires that want more profits. Well here you get millions of Asians with a ton of money to see and fall in love with your sport. Care about it. Become even just sort of fans of it. You sell road hockey sticks to kids and skates and it just is a massive financial long term win. It might be a 3 week loss of revenues very shory term. But you will get that back ten or twentyfold over time.

Myopic and dumb move NHL. Sens fan. I support Erik Karlsson screwimg off to play for Sweden in February 2018. Miss 6 or 7 games. Just go. Screw the NHL here.

I hope the players revolt on this. We already missed a season and half of two others. NHL does not give a ****. Ovechkin just screw off and play for Russia. I will support and Sen from any country that does the same next winter.

Well said. Also hoping that at least some of the Russian players will leave to play for their team anyway. Would just love to see how the owner would react to that. Fire some of their biggest star players? :D

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
:laugh the NHL not going to the Olympics was the best outcome possible from the entire scenario. The last thing I want to do now is boycott them for making the right decision.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I'm gonna watch the playoffs because I'm an Oilers fan haha. Definitely want the NHL at the Olympics, but who knows, maybe it'll be fun to watch even without them there. Sure will be better than the "World Cup".

Sep 26, 2016
Oilers fans:

tenor.gif

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The owners will be boycotting the NHL in 2020. Get ready for lockout number 3

Do you mean after the PA opts out. The owners just offered underwriting the Olympics with crappy content terms if the PA would extend the CBA. They didn't want to.

Here is another example of blaming the owners like they are doing this all by themselves without talking to anybody....

I will not be boycotting. The IOC needs to bring content to the table or it isn't worth putting their billion dollar industry on hold in a peak part of the season. Not unless they get something to take care of all the risk. The players didn't like that and the IOC as is their MO are making terrible decisions and trying to keep their big corrupt money making machine going.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Hockey should be part of the Summer Olympics anyway.

Besides I can't boycott now that I've just put the finishing touches on my custom built playoff avatar.

Mitts Marner*

Fans didn't boycott when the NHL lost a whole season.

They won't boycott now.

Funny thing, I work with a guy who told me today that he hasn't watched hockey since 2005.

Mind you, he was a casual fan then, but it just lost him at that point.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
I hate the IOC, so no I'm not boycotting anything NHL related. I wasn't going to watch the 3 am games anyways, have more important **** to do.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Nope. For NHL fans, the playoffs take priority over international hockey.

Except we don't really have to choose. The World Championships doesn't start until around mid of the 2nd playoff rounds. And even then, those games don't collide with the playoff games.

As a die hard NHL fan, I could easily prioritize watching noname Olympic teams for a couple of weeks, over watching some regular season games during the middle of the NHL season. Regular season games I'd hardly even remember watching two weeks later.

kertsov

May 11, 2016
Except we don't really have to choose. The World Championships doesn't start until around mid of the 2nd playoff rounds. And even then, those games don't collide with the playoff games.

As a die hard NHL fan, I could easily prioritize watching noname Olympic teams for a couple of weeks, over watching some regular season games during the middle of the NHL season. Regular season games I'd hardly even remember watching two weeks later.

I don't remember going to the bathroom yesterday. But it made me feel better at that time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
First time the Oilers are in since forever. No way I'm boycotting at this time.

I'll consider a boycott during the Olympics. It's stupid because the players want to go, this wasn't a joint NHLPA and NHL decision, this was solely an NHL decision. A ****ing shortsighted one at that.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I like the Olympics but I'm okay with them not going. NHL is a business, I don't see how they can grow the game in a place like SK where Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Cricket etc are more popular than hockey. NHL and he PA need to grow the game in Europe and Mexico before thinking of Asia.

I'd rather not see Auston Matthews get injured trying to win a silver medal for USA.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
NHL playoff hockey is way more entertaining than any international tournament. I will watch the playoffs no matter what.

kertsov

May 11, 2016
First time the Oilers are in since forever. No way I'm boycotting at this time.

I'll consider a boycott during the Olympics. It's stupid because the players want to go, this wasn't a joint NHLPA and NHL decision, this was solely an NHL decision. A ****ing shortsighted one at that.

I'm glad i won't miss the nhl games for two weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad