Boycott the NHL Playoffs

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Yea, I'm going to boycott the NHL playoffs, possibly the greatest couple of months to watch a sport, because professional players that I get to see play 6 months out of the year won't be going to a 3 week tournament. Like, that'll show 'em!

Here's a quaint idea: Why not let amateurs, whose biggest moment in life will be playing in the olympics....actually play in the olympics?

Sounds good. Just no "Red Army" team. They were pros playing against college kids.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
LOL yeah I'm sure millions of fans will stop watching 2 months of awesome hockey because they're mad about missing 2 weeks of hockey at terrible viewing times next year.

I'm glad my favourite players won't be travelling halfway around the world to play a tourney in the middle of the season. The playoffs sucked in 2014.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly, people should boycott this years playoffs. After the way the NHL and NHLPA have treated fans over the last 20 years....they really owe this to their fan bases. The NHL gets it wrong again. They're the most poorly run professional league in North America. Its just so short sighted

No. Not a damn chance.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
How can you care that much about the Olympics to not watch the playoffs?

For me Olympic hockey is like dessert, nice to have but I can live without it.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Nobody's boycotting playoffs. Lol.

If you wanna boycott something: All star game, outdoor games, gimmick World Cup. It may make you personally feel better but ultimately will have no impact on anything.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Honestly, people should boycott this years playoffs. After the way the NHL and NHLPA have treated fans over the last 20 years....they really owe this to their fan bases. The NHL gets it wrong again. They're the most poorly run professional league in North America. Its just so short sighted

You're a habs fan, you telling me you wont watch the playoffs because of a two week thing that happens every 4 years?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
lol, as an Oiler fan, noooo way

And as a hockey fan, I'm sympathetic to the owners even though I'd like to see NHL participation. So I'm a bit upset, but nowhere near boycott level

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
People talking about boycotting the world cup? Lol , 4 years from now when Mcdavid and Matthews are in their primes. Good luck

Shadow Flyer

Why So Serious?
Aug 2, 2008
The Interwebs
Sounds good. Just no "Red Army" team. They were pros playing against college kids.

Right. Like, you're never going to stop every country from playing professionals, and that's not fair to the amateurs that have to play against them. But the olympics are the pinnacle for most amateur athletes, regardless of the outcome. Let them have their shining moment.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Will you guys shut the hell up already with your Olympics crap talk...let's not act like the IOC are angels...

The IOC are devils. But you get best on best hockey there with the world watching.

The NHL could have started a true World Cup knowing they were out of the Olympics. 12 or 16 teams. Real World Cup. But you get rest of Europe and under 23 year old teams?

That World Cup was fine if it was just for kicks and was a longer all-star game. But if hockey is out of the Olympics and they planned for that then maybe the NHL needs a real World Cup?

If you want to see hockey as a sport. Jerseys and skates and TV feeds. Korea is actually cold in the winter. They have ice. As does much of China and Japan. How does not highlighting the best of the best of hockey not sell the sport the NHL leads?

I hate the IOC. They are awful scum hypocritical criminals. Period. But I love the Olympics and the athletes.

If the NHL was planning on no Olympics then the recent World Cup is even more of a joke. So the NHL wants no decisive best on best tournament?

The thing is if you watch Rugby or "Football". It matters even if you do not win. You NEED international hockey. Sure South Korea is a crappy hockey team but beating Japan or China would be a big deal. Finland vs Sweden is big deal. If Estonia got good enough to beat Latvia.... big deal.

The NHL is being shortsighted. If millions in South Korea and China and Japan actually know and care about who Connor McDavid and Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are... it is a huge profitable thing. And in generations it brings a new pool of players and so many more fans.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I was never waking up to watch the olympics at 3AM. I was just going to read about Canada's inevitable gold medal by my score app alert. There's going to be another lockout at the end of this CBA and not a damn thing any of us can do about it.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
Olympics is an amateur sport association.............NO.....haven`t miss a play-off in 52 years.........and the early years were mostly radio games.......lol

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I won't boycott the playoffs, but I will boycott the next World Cup. Ok, you got me, I wasn't going to watch it anyway.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Whether my team makes it or not, I'll watch every game I'm able to. Level of corruption within the IOC is second only to FIFA. I have zero issue knowing it's going to be kids fighting for their hockey lives this Olympics. Look forward to that more than watching professionals at Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad