Proposal: Boychuk to the Wild?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Hey All,
Russo mentioned this and since I cannot post in the trade forum I am just going to come here and ask.

What would Boston be looking for in terms of assets if they are at all interested in moving him?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think they like Coyle too much to part with him.

I'd go after El Nino. B's supposedly liked him a lot in his draft year. He plays Bruin-style hockey, and he could develop into a legit top6 scoring RW, which is what we need.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would think Coyle is not an option.

I'd want El Nino. B's supposedly liked him a lot in his draft year. He plays Bruin-style hockey, and he could develop into a legit top6 scoring RW, which is what we need.

That might be an option, honestly I think Boychuck is worth a lot more than Niederreiter at this point. Nino showed nothing on the island. I guess he was better in Minny, but still is a Huge projection at this point

I also need to have some idea what it would cost to lock Nino up, as he is a RFA, but coming off his best year, so he may well be looking for 2 years/1.75 mil per year

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Bill's right. Coyle is not an option. He's identified as part of their core. He'll get extended before the end of the year.

Nino had a coming out of sorts this season (ended finishing third on the Wild in goals scored) and might be a more realistic target for a JB55 swap....but he's also going to get a deal as an RFA this season. Depending on what kind of deal Nino signs, that could affect how GMCF assesses any potential value in a Boychuk swap. If you see a bridge type deal, it could be fair.....but then again, the Wild have a TON of young D coming down the pipe (Folin, Dumba, Olofsson) and with scoring an issue, losing a winger and gaining a defender seems counterproductive to their plans.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
That might be an option, honestly I think Boychuck is worth a lot more than Niederreiter at this point. Nino showed nothing on the island. I guess he was better in Minny, but still is a Huge projection at this point

I also need to have some idea what it would cost to lock Nino up, as he is a RFA, but coming off his best year, so he may well be looking for 2 years/1.75 mil per year

He played very well for Minny and IMO he's in that place in his development, like Reilly Smith last summer, where he's on the verge of breaking out. This is the kind of guy the B's should be targeting with Boychuk and/or Spooner. Someone they can cost-control for 2-3 years and develop into a winger for Krech and Looch.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
but then again, the Wild have a TON of young D coming down the pipe (Folin, Dumba, Olofsson) and with scoring an issue, losing a winger and gaining a defender seems counterproductive to their plans.

Don't forget, they added Thomas Vanek today. Their top6 is stacked now, with Parise and Vanek on the left, Koivu and Granlund in the middle, and Pominville and Coyle on the right.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Boychuk has more value to Boston than I anticipated it would seem. I was thinking a package around Zucker and 2nd/3rd would get the convo started, but it appears I was wrong eh?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boychuk has more value to Boston than I anticipated it would seem. I was thinking a package around Zucker and 2nd/3rd would get the convo started, but it appears I was wrong eh?

Boychuk is somewhere between a #2 and a very good #3 NHL defenseman with a huge track record of significantly upgrading his game in the postseason.

He is arguably the best defenseman available this offseason (including the UFAs). Had he been a FA today, he'd likely be looking at 6-7 years at 5.5 or 6 million per

I don't know if he will be dealt, if he is I expect it will be a big payment. If boston trades him for a mediocre wing prospect and a 3rd round pick people on this board will be apoplectic.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Smith and Boychuk for Coyle?

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Boychuk is somewhere between a #2 and a very good #3 NHL defenseman with a huge track record of significantly upgrading his game in the postseason.

He is arguably the best defenseman available this offseason (including the UFAs). Had he been a FA today, he'd likely be looking at 6-7 years at 5.5 or 6 million per

I don't know if he will be dealt, if he is I expect it will be a big payment. If boston trades him for a mediocre wing prospect and a 3rd round pick people on this board will be apoplectic.

I understand he is a very good D-Man. Admittedly my offer had a bit to do with Boston's cap position and thinking they might be looking to unload some salary. I am really not sure we would be looking to unload one of Coyle or Nino or what would basically a rental for a season as we do have some good D prospects that will be ready soon.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

To be fair to Zucker he hasn't been given the best chance to succeed here simply because of his position on the depth chart. He is very fast with a great shot...given the right opportunity he could do very well.

Tokay Blanket

Mar 29, 2011
Boychuk for Haula and Zucker?

or something around that..not sure of Haula's value really...add kelly or something?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Smith and Boychuk for Coyle?

Are you $#^% me? Whose side are you on?

VeddarRants;87528751]So is this an actual rumor or just posters playing fantasy GM?[/QUOTE]

I had the same question, obviously the Mods have had a long, busy day and "stuff" like this will leak thru like a .25 cent diaper.:p:

Is this a joke? I wouldn't even consider this.

LOL YES!! I guess the funny farm is closed for vacation and all of the inmates are out on parole. :laugh:

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I would say it's more arm chair gm than anything. Russo just tossed out Boychuks name as a possible trade target...no real rumor or anything though.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To be fair to Zucker he hasn't been given the best chance to succeed here simply because of his position on the depth chart. He is very fast with a great shot...given the right opportunity he could do very well.

Yeah Boston has a few of those guys as well, although the top 2 are primary or solely centers

Billy Mays Here*

Was coming to your board to ask about Boychuk, glad to see a thread has already been made on it.

We're in desperate need of a tough physical d-man, especially now that Stoner is gone and I've always been a bit of a fan of Boychuk.

I understand he has a lot of value and rightfully so, but I don't see you guys getting either one of Nino or Coyle for him. That has nothing to do with pure value, because honestly it probably will take a young guy like that to get him, but management is very high on those two and I don't think Fletcher would be willing to trade either one of them.

To summarize some quotes from Fletcher:

"The Burns trade doesn't get done if Coyle isn't coming back."

"We were hoping to draft Nino but drafted Granlund after the Isles took him 5th overall. We've always liked him and when I saw an opportunity to acquire him I took it."

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
According to Son of Marshmont you are not in need of this.

But in case you are - Adam McQuaid.

Was coming to your board to ask about Boychuk, glad to see a thread has already been made on it.

We're in desperate need of a tough physical d-man, especially now that Stoner is gone and I've always been a bit of a fan of Boychuk.

I understand he has a lot of value and rightfully so, but I don't see you guys getting either one of Nino or Coyle for him. That has nothing to do with pure value, because honestly it probably will take a young guy like that to get him, but management is very high on those two and I don't think Fletcher would be willing to trade either one of them.

"We were hoping to draft Nino but drafted Granlund after the Isles took him 5th overall. We've always liked him and when I saw an opportunity to acquire him I took it."

David Krejci*

The only guy I would be interested in getting from Minnesota for Boychuk would be Coyle. But even then, it's not worth the hole we'd create in our top 4. There's not a deal to be made here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad