Speculation: Bowman: We'll do everything we can to keep Bickell

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Call it whatever you want but half that roster was lost after that season, among them some very big pieces. To discredit that or downplay it in any way is wrong. It was nationwide news how that team was deconstructed. To be back in this position now is pretty remarkable, and is a testament to a great core being intact and building wisely around it. Job well done.

EDIT: just because you have a lot of draft picks doesn't make it a no-lose situation. Not even close. Since when are draft picks automatic successes? Let alone any outside of the high first round?

You're cherry picking what to argue with me about instead of reading my whole post and seeing the big picture.

The Hawks had their core in tact. They had their top 3 defensemen in place. They only needed to fill in depth positions. What better position could a GM ask for? The very best core in the league and only to fill role/depth positions around them...and a truckload of assets to fill those spots with?

When you have so many draft picks - you're going to be able to do that. You can downplay the draft all you want, but the draft is exactly how this team was built. The remarkable part of this thing was a long time ago when the guts of this team was assembled.

I'm not bashing Stan at all. He's done fine and I support keeping him in to the future.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You're cherry picking what to argue with me about instead of reading my whole post and seeing the big picture.

The Hawks had their core in tact. They had their top 3 defensemen in place. They only needed to fill in depth positions. What better position could a GM ask for? The very best core in the league and only to fill role/depth positions around them...and a truckload of assets to fill those spots with?

When you have so many draft picks - you're going to be able to do that. You can downplay the draft all you want, but the draft is exactly how this team was built. The remarkable part of this thing was a long time ago when the guts of this team was assembled.

I'm not bashing Stan at all. He's done fine and I support keeping him in to the future.

The position where you have depth ready to preform and some breathable room under the cap to sign guys above bare minimum... you know, what they had this past year and will have this year, because it was set up for that way.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Call it whatever you want but half that roster was lost after that season, among them some very big pieces. To discredit that or downplay it in any way is wrong. It was nationwide news how that team was deconstructed. To be back in this position now is pretty remarkable, and is a testament to a great core being intact and building wisely around it. Job well done.

EDIT: just because you have a lot of draft picks doesn't make it a no-lose situation. Not even close. Since when are draft picks automatic successes? Let alone any outside of the high first round?

this.

Look what tallon did with his picks outside of toews and kane.

They had to move one of those "top 3" dmen because he was on a ridiculous contract.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Ideally, we keep the team intact minus Stalberg and Frolik and Handzus for cap reasons. Insert Danault in his spot, hope he is ready, advanced all around guy, probably could do it, best replacement for Frolik I see. Pirri comes in as 2C.

Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Bolland-Shaw
Danault-Kruger-Morin
Carcillo, Hayes

Cheap, deep, speed, size and tons of skill, loaded with two way goal scorers.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Ideally, we keep the team intact minus Stalberg and Frolik and Handzus for cap reasons. Insert Danault in his spot, hope he is ready, advanced all around guy, probably could do it, best replacement for Frolik I see. Pirri comes in as 2C.

Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Pirri-Hossa
Saad-Bolland-Shaw
Danault-Kruger-Morin
Carcillo, Hayes

Cheap, deep, speed, size and tons of skill, loaded with two way goal scorers.

Looks very good to me. That leaves the only question mark as whether or not Pirri can truly handle the #2C role. He certainly has shown a ton of offensive talent in the AHL, but we'll have to see if that translates into the NHL.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
the only way to find out is to put him in the NHL. Not sure how much more he's going to develop in the AHL.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Wasn't cherry-picking, on my phone so I can't type as much as I'd like which is why I avoid doing it. Nor was I intending to suggest you don't support Bowman. That said, call it cherry-picking, I call it just picking one singular point that can be generalized for any team in any sport. To suggest that because there were draft picks obtained out of force in order to preserve a roster under the salary cap isn't a no-lose situation. Even if you get the amount of picks and the correct rounds in return, you then have to pick the right players and then develop them. I think you know that which is why I responded to that particular part of the post because it surprised me a little coming from you. Wasn't a personal attack or anything.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
But let's be honest here. He still had the best core in the NHL - and he had about 5 years worth of draft picks in 2 years because of being forced to trade off all the depth. It was almost a no-lose situation.

He wrote every contract on the roster except 2. It's not just finding talent and plugging holes, you have price everything right AND fit those prices in a long term plan, something most gms do much much worse than Bowman the last 4 seasons.

As far as drafting goes, I don't think they expected any significant contributions from any picks so soon. If he's going to take heat for loading up on picks from inherited assets, the time for that is in 2 or 3 years but then he's still going to get credit for development and developmental hires. It's not like he's just throwing things to the wall to see what sticks.

RomersWorld*

Yeah, that Bickell contract that Bowman got...I think it was 3 years for basically the league minimum turned out incredible. Bickell wasn't a proven NHLer but he gave him a 3 year, 1-way contract and this last year has clearly been one of the biggest steals in the NHL. Not everyone would've signed Bickell to that deal while being so unproven and not everyone would've kept him after a mediocre year last season.

Also Corey Crawford's contract is one of the best in the NHL right now as well. 2.6 mil cap hit for a top 5 goalie statistically this season in the regular season and postseason.

We all know about the Barker/Leddy trade...huge.

The Roszival signing, the Oduya trade...so many things Bowman has done right that have helped us get back to this point. It isn't just about the draft picks but so far the 2011 and 2012 drafts look solid as well. I still have faith in Kevin Hayes, Stephen Johns and Kent Simpson to hopefully redeem the 2010 draft.

Next year we might be talking about the great decision to trade a second rounder for Jimmy Hayes and how much of a steal it was. Hayes could be another Bickell...huge, late developer but big producer especially in the playoffs. I hope so anyways.

SLarmer28*

I love that people still think NYI is dying to take on other team's garbage. Brookbank, Montador, Carcillo, and Olesz are going to be VERY difficult to trade.
The Islanders traded a 2013 2nd round draft pick for goaltender Tim Thomas just to reach the cap floor for the 2012-13 NHL Season. Furthermore, the NY Islanders recently traded the rights to defenseman Mark Streit to the Philadelphia Flyers. The NY Islanders are a cheap franchise and will need to trade for players just to reach the salary cap floor.

SLarmer28*

I still have faith in Kevin Hayes, Stephen Johns and Kent Simpson to hopefully redeem the 2010 draft.

Next year we might be talking about the great decision to trade a second rounder for Jimmy Hayes and how much of a steal it was. Hayes could be another Bickell...huge, late developer but big producer especially in the playoffs. I hope so anyways.
Sorry but I'm not sold whatsoever on either of the Hayes brothers. As a matter of fact, I hated the Kevin Hayes draft selection in the first round of the 2010 NHL Draft, especially when centerman Quinton Howden was still on the board. Quinton Howden was touted as one of the two fastest skaters in the CHL and a two way centerman who played for the Moose Jaw Warriors of the WHL. I also hated trading the 43rd overall selection in the 2010 NHL Draft for Jimmy Hayes when Swedish centerman Calle Jarnkrok was still on the board. Calle Jarnkrok was considered one of the fastest if not the fastest European skaters left on the board at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sorry but I'm not sold whatsoever on either of the Hayes brothers. As a matter of fact, I hated the Kevin Hayes draft selection in the first round of the 2010 NHL Draft, especially when centerman Quinton Howden was still on the board. Quinton Howden was touted as one of the two fastest skaters in the CHL and a two way centerman who played for the Moose Jaw Warriors of the WHL. I also hated trading the 43rd overall selection in the 2010 NHL Draft for Jimmy Hayes when Swedish centerman Calle Jarnkrok was still on the board. Calle Jarnkrok was considered one of the fastest if not the fastest European skaters left on the board at that time.

Maybe you should offer Bowman your scouting expertise. We'll see how those two do. Howden: 18 GP 0 G 0 A -11. He's still got a ways to go before he can be considered anything worth missing. As far Jarnkork, he just played in Sweden and came over at the end of the year. So he'll be hyped like crazy while he plays in the AHL for the next three years as possibly being the next Datsyuk/Zetterberg like all Red Wing prospects until he actually plays in the NHL.

What did you think of drafting Brandon Saad in the 2nd round and Andrew Shaw in the 5th round in 2011?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I also noticed now I was accused of downplaying the draft. In no way, shape, or form did I or have I ever done that. My point was having tons of draft picks isn't an automatic no-lose situation. You can swing and miss on all of them. It's not automatic success. Fortunately, this team has been built largely through the draft which in this day and age is vital to competing year after year for a Cup in a cap era.

SLarmer28*

Jarnkrok and Howdon have done what in the NHL already that the Hayes Brothers haven't?
Kevin Hayes was suspended by Boston College for drunken behavior. Fantastic role model! ;)

What is so great about Jimmy Hayes? What I have read the last few days on the Chicago Blackhawks message board:

Bollig sucks
Carcillo sucks
Stalberg sucks

If Jimmy Hayes is so great, why isn't he playing fourth line left wing?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Kevin Hayes was suspended by Boston College for drunken behavior. Fantastic role model! ;)

What is so great about Jimmy Hayes? What I have read the last few days on the Chicago Blackhawks message board:

Bollig sucks
Carcillo sucks
Stalberg sucks

Jimmy Hayes has had some success in his limited NHL time. Him not being in the lineup has nothing to do with ability. Coaching decisions are always in question even with NHL regulars who are established, let alone rookies. Especially come playoff time.

I'm not saying Hayes is great but your argument kinda has holes in it with regard to logic. Again, not saying Hayes would be a difference maker but, I'm not going to discredit the potential if it simply because this coaching staff chooses not to use him.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

Bollig sucks
Carcillo sucks
Stalberg sucks

Jayes has done the most out of those 4 guys mentioned in his career so far...

don't counter my question with another question. What have Howden and Jarkrok done that the Hayes bros haven't`?

SLarmer28*

Jayes has done the most out of those 4 guys mentioned in his career so far...
If so, why isn't he playing in the playoffs?

don't counter my question with another question. What have Howden and Jarkrok done that the Hayes bros haven't`?
Howden is playing in the AHL while Kevin Hayes is too busy suspended by the Boston College hockey program. What has Jimmy Hayes done to even warrant a roster spot next season for the Blackhawks?

Jarnkrok is a centerman and one poster on this message board never stops complaining about the lack of a true #2 centerman on the Chicago Blackhawks. Furthermore, Jarnkrok was rated higher by Central Scouting Services than Ludvig Rensfeldt, who ended up a complete bust with the 35th overall selection in the 2010 NHL Draft.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kevin Hayes returned from his brief suspension and got hurt

He has already committed another year

And since when does playing in AHL make a player a better player? Hawks knew from moment they drafted Kevin Hayes he intended to go 4 yrs at BC

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't understand why it would be better for Jayes to play in Rockford...they're already overloaded in prospects at forward - for now he's better at BC.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Did you also make the same claim for Brandon Pirri who played as a collegiate freshman at RPI?

No because Pirri and his family never said they inteded to go 4 yrs at NCAA

Hayes at BC is fine ,, And originally Jimmy Hayes planned to stay all 4 years but changed his mind

Kevin and his family told Hawks same thing when he was drafted

Hawks have shown they will only rush a prospect if the situation is poor (Such as Clendening at BU) or prospect cant cut it academically and needs to come to Hawks organization (Olsen allegedly)

They have shown with Johns/Hayes brothers they aren't going to press them and let them decide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad