Speculation: Bowman: We'll do everything we can to keep Bickell

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Figured I'd split this off as it's actual 'news' and has nothing to do with dumping Leddy.

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
Bowman on Bickell: "Bick and the organization go back a long ways.... We've had a lot history together, we certainly want to continue that."

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
#Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman tells Sun-Times he'll do "everything we can" to keep Bryan Bickell next season. Doesn't think it's far-fetched.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
It seems like the only way it can logically happen is if they trade Bolland.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well, at least they aren't just kicking him to the curb. Trying and doing are two different things. Just get it done.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I think they'll definitely try. I just hope they don't overpay. If he wants to stay I think he'll have to give some sort of discount (I guess in exchange for length)...b/c I wouldn't want to pay him what I expect he'd be able to get from somewhere like Edmonton.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Bickell over Bolland makes the most sense... that's why it should happen.

Shaw and Krüger are fine as bottom 6 Centers and Bolland has proven to not being able to play the #2 C spot.

I still hope we find a way to keep them both in the end.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No, the question is: Do we want to pay him what it will take to stay or do we want to cut ties and try to win without him?

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
You can only have so big a core (used to be 8 but with the cap dropping there's an argument making the rounds for 7). Excluding Bolland we already have 6. Bickell on a big contract would make 7 and if Hjammer can keep it up he would be the 8th. Depending on what CC does during the rest of his contract he could also make a strong case for himself.

We can't keep everyone and we are going to lose guys again despite being in a lot better position cap-wise than we were 3 years ago.

LBS8844

Apr 10, 2013
I would think Crawford, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, and possibly Keith are also in the running for MVP at the moment. While hard to imagine given the aforementioned "names", Bickell winning the MVP would be awesome!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You can only have so big a core (used to be 8 but with the cap dropping there's an argument making the rounds for 7). Excluding Bolland we already have 6. Bickell on a big contract would make 7 and if Hjammer can keep it up he would be the 8th. Depending on what CC does during the rest of his contract he could also make a strong case for himself.

We can't keep everyone and we are going to lose guys again despite being in a lot better position cap-wise than we were 3 years ago.

I think we need to keep those 8 guys and just roll with it. I say this because I expect the cap to go up a lot and it is a long CBA that will go through most of these contracts.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I heard on the radio that Bickell likes Chicago and feels comfortable here. Keith took a discount, Kane and Toews probably took a little discount, I don't think its too far fetched for Bickell to take less than he could get elsewhere. Would you rather live in Chicago and be a Cup contender every year for $3.25 mil or play in Winnipeg for $4 mil a year?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I would think Crawford, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, and possibly Keith are also in the running for MVP at the moment. While hard to imagine given the aforementioned "names", Bickell winning the MVP would be awesome!

I agree. They will give it to Crawford or Keith, imo, before they give it to Bickell.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Keep Bickell if he wants to be reasonable, let him go to free-agency if he thinks he's worth more than 3.5M. Easy.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
There shouldn't be much of a problem fitting Bickell into the cap structure, although this does prevent any UFA signing.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I like Bickell but that is getting out of hand and I hope that is just speak from Bowman.

I want him to stay, certainly not at any cost though.

"At any cost" weren't Bowman's words.

And can someone explain to me why Chicago having to sign Bickell becomes more prevalent should he win the Conn Smythe? I don't get it.

Not that it matters, because the ONLY way Bickell wins the Conn Smythe over Crawford, Keith or Sharp/Hossa/Kane is if he leads the Hawks in goals by 2-3 and has as many points as the Hawks leading scorer - and even then, it still probably goes to Keith or Crawford.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
"At any cost" weren't Bowman's words.

And can someone explain to me why Chicago having to sign Bickell becomes more prevalent should he win the Conn Smythe? I don't get it.

Not that it matters, because the ONLY way Bickell wins the Conn Smythe over Crawford, Keith or Sharp/Hossa/Kane is if he leads the Hawks in goals by 2-3 and has as many points as the Hawks leading scorer - and even then, it still probably goes to Keith or Crawford.

Don't get that either, it doesn't change what he has or hasn't accomplished over the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad