Speculation: Bowman to be named GM of 2022 Team US Olympic team

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
As did many others from scouting to the trainer but Bowman was mostly along for the ride after the core of the team was mostly established.

Tallon doesn't get much credit here but I guarantee if players who lived it were asked Tallon's name would often get mentioned.

Out of all of the GMs, Tallon was probably the worst drafter but nailed Kane and Toews. It's hard to blame him for Barker because that entire 1st round was crap after Ovi and Malkin. That being said, missing on Skille and Beach damaged the team. Bowman was drafting in the latter part of the 1st round and picked a lot of 2nd and 3rd liners, which is all you can reasonably expect at that part of the draft. Mike Smith was a bad drafter outside of 2003 which was a legendary draft. I don't think anyone ever thought Keith would be a HOF.

Wasn't Keith an overager when he was drafted?

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
As did many others from scouting to the trainer but Bowman was mostly along for the ride after the core of the team was mostly established.
Tallon doesn't get much credit here but I guarantee if players who lived it were asked Tallon's name would often be mentioned.

Drafting a couple elite players doesn't mean shit. You have to be able to build a team around them. Look at Edmonton. Look at Buffalo.

Tallon doesn't get much credit? lol

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Drafting a couple elite players doesn't mean shit. You have to be able to build a team around them. Look at Edmonton. Look at Buffalo.

Tallon doesn't get much credit? lol

Seems you are arguing with yourself. What are you saying exactly? That Tallon shouldn't get any credit for building the team?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Seems you are arguing with yourself. What are you saying exactly? That Tallon shouldn't get any credit for building the team?
Draftwise, no. Tradewise yes, FA signing, oh heck no. Especially when he wanted Havlat over Hossa but certainly seemed McD pushed that and went with the Bowman coalition move.

Tallon had T, K, Hammer, and Kruger... and Ben Smith if you want to credit all his cup etched picks. 2 quality finds, but thats it.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Draftwise, no. Tradewise yes, FA signing, oh heck no. Especially when he wanted Havlat over Hossa but certainly seemed McD pushed that and went with the Bowman coalition move.

Tallon had T, K, Hammer, and Kruger... and Ben Smith if you want to credit all his cup etched picks. 2 quality finds, but thats it.
Versteeg, Ladd and Sharp were some really good moves by Tallon.

Besides those moves and the draft picks you mentioned, Tallon was not that good of a GM.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Using Ray's criteria Tallon shouldn't get much credit at all. Not going to praise a guy for nailing a top 3 pick.:shakehead

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Tallon deserves credit for 2010, and deserves all the blame for how bad they were in 2011 and 2012. Terrible signings, and no idea how to draft.

Stan is definitely respected, he just hasnt done that great of a job in his last few years with Chicago, but he wont have a salary cap in the Olympics. I'm not sure who is better suited, as I dont pay attention to the nationality of GMs.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
This is the reality of the salary cap. Build team, pay your core guys, suffer cap casualties, core guys age/retire, you suck, rebuild...

Feels like he’s had us stuck in mediocrity with a few half assed moves that have backfired like the Shaw and CdH trades.

I’m not saying I’d go out of my way to fire fire him, but I also wouldn’t be upset if they did. Unfortunately the reality is if they did there is a good chance they replace him with someone else’s failure.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Hopefully this means team USA will assemble the best possible team instead of the rough and tough bullshit we’ve gotten for the last few international tournaments.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Out of all of the GMs, Tallon was probably the worst drafter but nailed Kane and Toews. It's hard to blame him for Barker because that entire 1st round was crap after Ovi and Malkin. That being said, missing on Skille and Beach damaged the team. Bowman was drafting in the latter part of the 1st round and picked a lot of 2nd and 3rd liners, which is all you can reasonably expect at that part of the draft. Mike Smith was a bad drafter outside of 2003 which was a legendary draft. I don't think anyone ever thought Keith would be a HOF.

Wasn't Keith an overager when he was drafted?
They almost traded Keith for Roenick back in 04

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
More optimistic now what Stan can do for the team going forward than I was before the season, especially with McDonough out of the way because the narrative quickly changed to we need to rebuild once he departed from the org...More likely than not that is what Stan wanted to do for a while but was forced into patch work moves like CdH, Shaw etc...Feel pretty confident in the Stan/Mark Kelley duo to find the players thru the draft to build a new core that can win...paired with the european scouts that continue to find gems in lesser leagues...glad Burke will not be picking the team again for USA

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
They almost traded Keith for Roenick back in 04
Yeah I heard about that....we should all thank our lucky stars it never happened.

But if you're going down the what if rabbit hole....imagine if the Hawks would have traded Belfour and Larmer for Lindros. Hasek/Lindros/Chelios in the mid-late 90s. Drools. However, Dollar Bill would have never paid Lindros so it doesn't matter anyway.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well deserved. Lots of strong US GMs in the league..it has been Bowman's seat since he ran the World Championship teams. No other US GM has his pedigree..should have been the GM in 2016 IMO. Congrats StanBo!

Reactions: Muffinalt

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
congrats. now hopefully he can get us into the playoffs in the next few years. going on 4 now. no series wins in 6 after this year....not great when half the teams make the playoffs. mediocrity sucks to watch.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
congrats. now hopefully he can get us into the playoffs in the next few years. going on 4 now. no series wins in 6 after this year....not great when half the teams make the playoffs. mediocrity sucks to watch.

I know it was a wonky year with the bubble but we actually made the playoffs last year and lost in the first round to Vegas.

Reactions: Crow

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Stan has learned well on the job. A rough start though. I always remember when Tallon was GM as the teams "capologist" sent out the qualifiers to RFA's 24 hours too late. That forced over payments to some to keep them from filing to be UFA's. That forced at least one and likely 2 cap dumps after the cup win in 2010.

The team capologist when sent the offers on the 1st rather than the last day of the previous month was ????

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Stan has learned well on the job. A rough start though. I always remember when Tallon was GM as the teams "capologist" sent out the qualifiers to RFA's 24 hours too late. That forced over payments to some to keep them from filing to be UFA's. That forced at least one and likely 2 cap dumps after the cup win in 2010.

The team capologist when sent the offers on the 1st rather than the last day of the previous month was ????
Who ever actually proclaimed this?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

It's the GMs fault. Won't convince me otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad