Recalled/Assigned: Bowman sent to Hamilton

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Not sure why some are whining that Allen didn't get sent down. We just acquired him and he barely played two games. It's good that the team is giving him a fair shot. Beaulieu and Tinordi got theirs, didn't perform to expectations, and will get their chance again soon.

Give Allen 8 games or so, and we'll see where the team goes from there.

There was no short-term upside to playing Allen over either rookie. He's just not as good, fast, talented, etc. The long-term benefits will depend on how Bergevin and Therrien juggle their defense core, which is now bursting with vets and good prospects. If they can keep everyone rotating so that 1) Rookies gain experience and confidence; 2) New vets learn the system; 3) Older guys don't burn out, then we should have a strong D for the playoffs. Can Therrien be trusted to take the long view with his variety-pack of dmen and keep his eye on April? We'll see.

I agree they need to give Allen time to learn the system, but they absolutely have to give priority to the much higher upsides currently cooling their jets in Hamilton.

But man, the cupboard's pretty full:

The core: Subban, Markov, Emelin, Weaver, Gilbert

The rented vets: Gonchar, Allen

The heir apparents: Beaulieu, Tinordi

The bridesmaid: Drewiske

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bournival sucks now?

Never change, HF.

I don't know what the Habs have in Bournival, was never a big fan other then he works hard and has good speed but his numbers outside of a hot start to last season have been downright terrible. In 39 regular season games from the start of last December to the end of the regular season plus 2 games this year, he's at 39 1-2-3. Just 1 goal in his last 39 regular season games. :amazed:

I was surprised he made the team last year, thought it was a mistake to keep up him as he needed to work on his offensive game but then he had that great start but then the wheels came off the bus. Granted there's more to hockey then points and he brings energy to the forecheck but just where does he fit in? Hard to see him as a top 6 since he lacks offensive skills, he's not really an ideal 4th liner as he's not overly physical. He would make a good checking line forward but he would need to produce more imo if he's going to be in the top 9.

Pr3Va1L

Jul 2, 2008
There was no short-term upside to playing Allen over either rookie. He's just not as good, fast, talented, etc. The long-term benefits will depend on how Bergevin and Therrien juggle their defense core, which is now bursting with vets and good prospects. If they can keep everyone rotating so that 1) Rookies gain experience and confidence; 2) New vets learn the system; 3) Older guys don't burn out, then we should have a strong D for the playoffs. Can Therrien be trusted to take the long view with his variety-pack of dmen and keep his eye on April? We'll see.

I agree they need to give Allen time to learn the system, but they absolutely have to give priority to the much higher upsides currently cooling their jets in Hamilton.

Ouch. That hurt.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Good for Beaulieu...it will be better for him to get more minutes in AHL (18min+). Plekanec and Markov did their time in AHL...so can Beaulieu.

Bournival (defensive speed-demon):
anyone know when he's coming back? Or maybe they will give send him down for 1-2 conditioning games?
(thanks in advance).

p.s.: sorry...couldn't find the Bournival thread.

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Parenteau
Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
Prust-Eller-Sekac
__?__-Malhotra-Weise
Bournival (skating?).

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
we saw this coming after the trade. the timing means that they will save cap space while the players are gone for most of the week. i expect that they might call up a forward on thursday, but they will be in buffalo for the next game which is right next to Hamilton so if they need to call anyone up it will not be too difficult.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

The cupboard is jam-packed. It's pretty nuts, honestly. Considering how little Beaulieu has really been playing, and the fact he and Tinordi weren't playing up to management's expectations, it might be good for them to re-gain their confidence down in Hamilton. Like you said, I think it is only logical to give Allen a fair shot and let him learn the system, but I also agree that sooner or later, they are going to have to let these kids play. They are going to have to allow them to make the mistakes we know they will make, and grow into the NHL game.

We are lucky to have this kind of depth at defense. We can really take advantage of this depending on Therrien and Bergevin's asset management, like you touched upon. I think a stint with the Bulldogs will help Beaulieu, and giving Allen some time with the team will only benefit us in the long-run if injuries occur.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS

The core: Subban, Markov, Emelin, Gilbert

The rented vets: Gonchar, Allen, Weaver

Fixed. Weaver won't be back next year; he's only on a one-year contract. I think his play has degraded from what we saw from him last season and he's barely a bottom-pair defender right now. He shouldn't be considered part of the core group.

As for Allen, unless he suddenly sprouts jetpacks from his skates, he's only worthy of the scrapheap. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that Anaheim had to give us their trash in order to take our trash.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Fixed. Weaver won't be back next year; he's only on a one-year contract. I think his play has degraded from what we saw from him last season and he's barely a bottom-pair defender right now. He shouldn't be considered part of the core group.

As for Allen, unless he suddenly sprouts jetpacks from his skates, he's only worthy of the scrapheap. I guess we shouldn't be surprised that Anaheim had to give us their trash in order to take our trash.

Yeah but our trash can is empty next year,,,, Anaheims not so much..........:D

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ouch. That hurt.

:laugh: Yeah, I thought about adding a qualifier to Gilbert being part of the core, but I figured I'd let you guys have fun with it.

Truth is he is part of our core D this season. I know many people dislike the guy, but he's been steadily improving, cutting down on bad turnovers, and is becoming more productive than given credit for. Bottom line -- he ain't going anywhere.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I like Weaver better than you this season. Unspectacular, but smart and usually solid. My problem with him is he looked gassed in the playoffs and - as I've said about a hundred times -- I'm worried the team's on track to empty his tank again by the time April comes around. Any slower and he becomes useless.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I like Weaver better than you this season. Unspectacular, but smart and usually solid. My problem with him is he looked gassed in the playoffs and - as I've said about a hundred times -- I'm worried the team's on track to empty his tank again by the time April comes around. Any slower and he becomes useless.
Therrien is on track to empty the tank of every 30+ defender on the roster. We won't make it past the second round and may even be vulnerable to a first-round upset if he doesn't smarten the hell up, or Bergevin changes the roster to force his hand.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Therrien is on track to empty the tank of every 30+ defender on the roster. We won't make it past the second round and may even be vulnerable to a first-round upset if he doesn't smarten the hell up, or Bergevin changes the roster to force his hand.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a "good mix" of youth and veteran players. :p:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Weaver would work best if he's sat more often. He was being used that way in Florida and they had it right. To get the best out of him, you have to dose his TOI and monitor frequently. Hopefully, with all the geriatrics at MT's disposal, there will be built-in rest periods and a playing time rotation that ultimately benefits all of them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If we base it on last year, Tinordi and Beaulieu will likely be called upon to act as firemen. Who knows, maybe one of them will be called up earlier and see more regular playing time.

Just as a matter of percentages and probabilities, players of certain age usually don't hold up well over a full season. And since we have more of these types of players than other teams, only a matter of time for one or more of them to give way to Tinordi and/or Beaulieu.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If we base it on last year, Tinordi and Beaulieu will likely called upon to act as firemen. Who knows, maybe one of them will be called up earlier and see more regular playing time.

Just as a matter of percentages and probabilities, players of certain age usually don't hold up well over a full season. And since we have more of these types of players than other teams, only a matter of time for one or more of them to give way to Tinordi and/or Beaulieu.

Which won't cut it in the PO's, our D ended up looking old and tired against the Rags.
I'm honestly totally confused with where this team seems to be heading on D.
Are we looking at seven D forever or what?
We don't seem to have 6 regulars .
Allen sure against a very specific and narrow band of opponent. 8th and D Murray like.
Gilbert but not over Gonchar and not on LD.
Weaver yes but spell him as you stated.
We will miss the young blood when we need it most? :help:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which won't cut it in the PO's, our D ended up looking old and tired against the Rags.
I'm honestly totally confused with where this team seems to be heading on D.
Are we looking at seven D forever or what?
We don't seem to have 6 regulars .

Both recent D trades smack of cap management priorities and yet there are indications that Gonchar was a target for Bergevin last year. How so? How far behind do they think Beaulieu and Tinordi are -- a year away or more?

Allen has to be the bigger cap move than Gonchar. The latter looks to be serviceable, Allen not so sure. Maybe Allen is one of those guys better utilized in the playoffs. Habs don't really have someone on a mean streak and who is physical like Allen. However, age and speed are concerns when all of these geriatrics are being assigned important roles.

Do these moves set up new trading opportunities? I agree that the 7-D situation smacks of turbulence moreso than stability. Maybe these are just moves on the way to something else this year -- not even sure we'll have all of these guys by year's end.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know nor care about Bowman. But maybe getting Beaulieu away from Therrien if only for a week is worth the trouble.

No one cares about Bowman. It's not the player's identity I was after, but the procedure.

Certainly agree that Beaulieu in the minors may end up being the best move for now. Beaulieu seems to have crossed Therrien by the one glaring error he made in a recent game, which Therrien addressed in the post-game presser as a rookie mistake -- but which has also led to Beaulieu eating hotdogs in the stands.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Why the love for Beaulieu? I watch him play and he still plays like a rookie. He chases the play, get caught out of position often and I feel he thinks he deserves to be in the NHL without really deserving it. (My opinion)

He needs to step up his defensive game significantly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hummmm ... I had my doubts that Beaulieu wouldn't go down quietly:

J-F Chaumont Verified account
‏@JFChaumontJDM
#BulldogsAHL: "J’ai parlé à Bergevin avant de revenir à Hamilton, mais je veux garder notre conversation privée." - Beaulieu.

Why did Beaulieu talk to Bergevin directly, why not have his agent handle it?

And, why not keep his conversation private -- did he have to tell the media about it?

Nate the ingrate -- reminds of last year's Beaulieu, the one who reacted poorly when he was assigned to the AHL and who was not immediately recalled after the Olympic break.

Did Nate pull a Patrick on Bergevin, minus Patrick's huge shadow?

Échange-moé, stie! :sarcasm:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Hummmm ... I had my doubts that Beaulieu wouldn't go down quietly:

Why did Beaulieu talk to Bergevin directly, why not have his agent handle it?

And, why not keep his conversation private -- did he have to tell the media about it?

Nate the ingrate -- reminds of last year's Beaulieu, the one who reacted poorly when he was assigned to the AHL and who was not immediately recalled after the Olympic break.

Did Nate pull a Patrick on Bergevin, minus Patrick's huge shadow?

Échange-moé, stie! :sarcasm:

Probably asked MB what his plan was for him. Wouldn't surprise me if he asked to be moved either but that's the worst case scenario. :)

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
When a ****ing old useless plug like Bryan Allen plays ahead of you, I'd say that's valid cause for questioning.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When a ****ing old useless plug like Bryan Allen plays ahead of you, I'd say that's valid cause for questioning.

An argument can be made that Beaulieu has it right this time round.

I'm not questioning his right to send the message, just the manner in which is was made and not keeping it confidential -- unless doing so was his way of forcefully telling Bergevin that he wants out, even if he holds no leverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad