• Bowen Byram

Votes: 74 20.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Let's see if Byram can play a full season or two or three first? Oh and winning a cup but being less than 1/2 PPG isn't all that impressive for a player he is touted to be. The potential is there though I guess
He’s over ppg and on track for 20 goals with no PP#1 time. You can’t even check stats right.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He’s over ppg and on track for 20 goals with no PP#1 time. You can’t even check stats right.

23 pts in 39 games is over ppg now?

Also, this is the only player in the league where stating 'no PP1 time' is somehow a positive. Like I get he's behind Makar on the depth chart but even when Makar has been out, Toews has been used in that PP1 spot ahead of Byram.

Byram is not this dominating force some of you are making him out to be. He's an insanely talented young d-man who has the tools to be a good #1. Oh, that's interesting...so like Hughes is?

Reactions: Play

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i hope for the sanity of canuck fans that byram doesnt end up being better. losing another one of these would be devastating to their mental health.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
23 pts in 39 games is over ppg now?

Also, this is the only player in the league where stating 'no PP1 time' is somehow a positive. Like I get he's behind Makar on the depth chart but even when Makar has been out, Toews has been used in that PP1 spot ahead of Byram.

Byram is not this dominating force some of you are making him out to be. He's an insanely talented young d-man who has the tools to be a good #1. Oh, that's interesting...so like Hughes is?
Even with sheltered minutes Byrams defensive metrics are terrible this season.

He's got lots of potential and can be good one day. But right now he ain't close to Hughes.

Reactions: avsfan09 and Play

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
this poll started because of a post in a byram thread. canuck fans cant let go of the avs.

'Byram is alright but he's no Quinn Hughes.' This is the post you took issue with?

I'd say that's a fair statement. Hughes is going to get some Norris recognition this year he's been exceptional. Byram is still working on playing a full season.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
'Byram is alright but he's no Quinn Hughes.' This is the post you took issue with?

I'd say that's a fair statement. Hughes is going to get some Norris recognition this year he's been exceptional. Byram is still working on playing a full season.

whats byram got to do with hughes?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

I think he's commenting on the general sentiment by 'Nucks fans that the Avs are only better than the Canucks because Makar is "slightly" better than Hughes and MacKinnon is "slightly" better than Pettersson (while all other Avs players are no better than all other Canucks playrs) - or at least this prevalent narrative that's being embraced.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
At the moment, Hughes.

Not sure why we're comparing Byram to guys who have been in the league 3+ years longer than him. The Byram/Seider, Byram/York polls make sense, those kids are in the same draft year. Give the Byram some time, he's not even off his ELC yet. He very well could pass Hughes if he can stay healthy.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
I think he's commenting on the general sentiment by 'Nucks fans that the Avs are only better than the Canucks because Makar is "slightly" better than Hughes and MacKinnon is "slightly" better than Pettersson (while all other Avs players are no better than all other Canucks playrs) - or at least this prevalent narrative that's being embraced.
well no, everyone else is much much much much better.

The Canucks don't have a Rantanen, Landeskog, Toews, ... The reest of the team is a huge mess.

Now avs fans seem to think that Makar, Toews, and now apparently Byram are all better than Hughes. That's just not true.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
well no, everyone else is much much much much better.

The Canucks don't have a Rantanen, Landeskog, Toews, ... The reest of the team is a huge mess.

Now avs fans seem to think that Makar, Toews, and now apparently Byram are all better than Hughes. That's just not true.

The conversation might have mutated/de-evolved into this. However, the initial discussion around this was that several Avs fans would prefer to have Byram over Hughes due to the fact that the Avs already have Makar. Hughes needs top line minutes and PP time to be as productive as he is. That's also true with Makar. But Byram has been buoying that 2nd line (marvelously at times) going back to the playoff run last season when it's not even a certainty how Hughes would even handle that role.

But Avs fans saying they'd prefer Byram for this and other reasons triggered Canucks fans. Hughes is a terrific player but I don't think Canucks fans are always honest with themselves about his limitations. And whether it's Makar, Hughes, or Byram - each was taken in the top 10. Some of the dismissiveness of Byram's skill set is a little comical. No one is arguing that Byram has put up big numbers where counting stats are concerned (although his goal total for games played is impressive especially with no PP time).

Reactions: dirtydanglez

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Doubt you’ll find many Canuck fans that don’t think Makar is better
I say he's overrated but it's the difference between saying he's generational, on a tier with mcdavid, heads and shoulders above every vs he's one of the best, had an amazing season, will probably win a few more norris trophies and compete with guys like Fox, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Seider, Hughes, Slavin, etc...

He's a great player who got dropped into a great situation at the exact right moment and capitalized. he's also fun to watch and a likeable person, so people jumped hard on the bandwagon.

Reminds me of Toews. He's better than Toews, but so was Malkin.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
makar is better.

up until this season they were right about toews too since he's finished ahead of hughes in norris voting. that will change with voting this season.

avs fans seem to think byram could be better than hughes in time. it's possible, he had an outstanding finals and has tons of potential. the jury is out on that one tho. also if you're referring to this poll the question isn't who is/will be the better player but who'll have the better carrer.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
The conversation might have mutated/de-evolved into this. However, the initial discussion around this was that several Avs fans would prefer to have Byram over Hughes due to the fact that the Avs already have Makar. Hughes needs top line minutes and PP time to be as productive as he is. That's also true with Makar. But Byram has been buoying that 2nd line (marvelously at times) going back to the playoff run last season when it's not even a certainty how Hughes would even handle that role.

But Avs fans saying they'd prefer Byram for this and other reasons triggered Canucks fans. Hughes is a terrific player but I don't think Canucks fans are always honest with themselves about his limitations. And whether it's Makar, Hughes, or Byram - each was taken in the top 10. Some of the dismissiveness of Byram's skill set is a little comical. No one is arguing that Byram has put up big numbers where counting stats are concerned (although his goal total for games played is impressive especially with no PP time).
maybe he's dismissed because Hughes (and Makar) put up the best offensive numbers by a young D in a few decades and Byram just isn't anywhere close.

Now the argument is that Hughes would somehow get so much worse with less responsibility. The idea that his numbers would go down without PP time and that's somehow a strike is ridiculous, in that it applies to every single PP dman in the league. There isn't a single one who wouldn't see their numbers drop if they stopped getting PP1 time.

"Honest with themselves about his limitations" says the fan of a team that ignores both Byrams health and production in order to justify him being better than a top 5 dman.

Canucks fans are the only ones honest about Hughes limitations. Everyone else acts like he's Tyson Barrie.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
makar is better.

up until this season they were right about toews too since he's finished ahead of hughes in norris voting. that will change with voting this season.

avs fans seem to think byram could be better than hughes in time. it's possible, he had an outstanding finals and has tons of potential. the jury is out on that one tho. also if you're referring to this poll the question isn't who is/will be the better player but who'll have the better carrer.
Not in 2019.

Hughes had a bad second season, every other year he's been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad